Day three Gluten Free

Options
So, this is day three of attempting to go Gluten Free. I don't have Celiac Disease and this isn't the reason for trying this type of diet. I do however have Fibromyalgia and two types of Arthritis. I've been in constant pain for so long I feel I've gone somewhat mad from it. Doctors can't help, medicine hasn't helped. I am at the end of my rope.

So, I am trying this to see if there are going to be any good results from it. I don't know much about Gluten free yet. I've been scouring the internet looking for information, recipes, sources to buy GF foods.

As said before, this is day 3. This is harder than I thought it would be! Have I said yet that I love gluten???? Bread is such a weakness. I love so much what I call a 'Wish Sandwich', which is nothing other than two pieces of bread that I wish had something in between. I've had two wish sandwiches since I started GF eating. Weak, weak, weak.

Why can't I say, it's just food....you don't have to eat it? I don't know. Not hardwired that way I reckon.

As well as trying to go GF, I've heard that Nightshade vegetables also cause a great deal of pain in Fibro people. What are Nightshades veggies? Short list is potatoes, peppers of any kind, tomatoes, eggplant. Three of these I love, potatoes, peppers and tomatoes. I am a carboholic and potatoes are comfort foods.

So what am I supposed to eat??? To tell the truth, I am still researching this. I have had lots of people offer tips, tricks, recipes, websites and I am looking for more.

I am so very grateful for this MFP family who offers help for my issues! Thanks!

Replies

• PeaceKitten
    Options
    My mom has been gluten free since August 6, 2009. She has a HUGE allergy.

I dedicated myself to try to be gluten free for the month of May as well as do the pescetarianism diet.

~**!(vegetarian that includes seafood, but not the flesh of other animals)!**~

If I notice a difference and can feel better? I will do it. :) Hope it's okay I added you. :D
  • Kindone
    Kindone Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I went gluten free this past fall. I had no idea I had any issue with it and was just trying to treat a bad sinus headache thing. Aside from the horrific sinus pain going away, my chronic fatigue and shooting body pains did also. I thought that i could go back and forth with the gluten, but when I suddenly one day ate a pastry, i was bedridden for three days. Since then when i have gotten accidentally "glutened", i ended up with a spiked fever and body aches. Bizarre.

It has been a huge life changer for me. I did find that dairy had to go also. I started eating a lot of nonfat dairy products and the fatigue began coming back.

I hope you see wonderful results from leaving gluten. I am in my 40's and I had NO idea I had issues with gluten.

I am happy to share any tricks/tips/ideas/ recipes you are interested in :)
  • BluePHX
    BluePHX Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Been gluten free for years and I don't miss it at all. I got the Celiac, and also a straight wheat allergy! Whole Foods and Sprouts and stores like them have so many shelves upon shelves of alternatives that I'm not missing a single thing from my diet now that I was before. I just get all the same stuff, gluten free and mostly organic. I feel better. :)

I hope this works for you, too!
  • Farburnfred
    Farburnfred Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I am sensitive to wheat and have been off it since January, I find it really exacerbates my endometriosis and irritable bowel :(

It's liveable with but takes your head both time and energy to adapt. I like quinoa as an alternative grain and for pasta.

Good luck
  • thistleandfi
    thistleandfi Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I've been GF since Oct of last year. I'm intolerant at the least, celiac at worst (won't know for sure until I can get tested) and despite it being a bit bumpy the first few weeks, I feel so much better for it. The almost constant bloating, regular abdominal pain, joint pain, headaches, etc have all disappeared.

If you are missing bread that badly, there are gluten-free bread recipes made with alternative flowers (brown rice, sorghum, millet) and Udi's is a decent brand of white and whole grain GF bread/buns/bagels. When you make your own bread it comes out quite different but with enough experimenting and recipe research you could probably find something to satisfy your sandwich desires! Also maybe try your local library for GF recipe books or look for blogs online - that's where I started because I was absolutely clueless when I started this lifestyle.

I hope this change in diet helps you :)
  • BluePHX
    BluePHX Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I've been GF since Oct of last year. I'm intolerant at the least, celiac at worst (won't know for sure until I can get tested) and despite it being a bit bumpy the first few weeks, I feel so much better for it. The almost constant bloating, regular abdominal pain, joint pain, headaches, etc have all disappeared.

If you are missing bread that badly, there are gluten-free bread recipes made with alternative flowers (brown rice, sorghum, millet) and Udi's is a decent brand of white and whole grain GF bread/buns/bagels. When you make your own bread it comes out quite different but with enough experimenting and recipe research you could probably find something to satisfy your sandwich desires! Also maybe try your local library for GF recipe books or look for blogs online - that's where I started because I was absolutely clueless when I started this lifestyle.

Udi's!!! I love Udi's. :D I ate 4 blueberry muffins this weekend... o_O Which, is sort of counterproductive to the whole "get fit" thing but what can I say? The food is good! I also really like the Cinnamon Raisin bread, the hamburger buns and ALL of the other flavors of muffins, not to mention the bagels. :) OP, no sweat! You can do this, easy. :)
  • PeaceKitten
    Options

Udi's!!! I love Udi's. :D I ate 4 blueberry muffins this weekend... o_O Which, is sort of counterproductive to the whole "get fit" thing but what can I say? The food is good! I also really like the Cinnamon Raisin bread, the hamburger buns and ALL of the other flavors of muffins, not to mention the bagels. :) OP, no sweat! You can do this, easy. :)

Dang girl! I love Udi's. Without them? I think I'd go insaneeee!~ ♥
  • SenseiCole
    SenseiCole Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I am GF for almost a year

I use almond meal insteed of flour or rice flour

I make my own meals, never use ready made ones

if a recipe calls for... potatoe use something else, like sweet pot, pumpkin, carrots etc etc

I have always been good and changing recipes you will too, to the foods you can eat and enjoy

anyone can add me
  • EngineerPrincess
    EngineerPrincess Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    People will tell you there's no reason to go gluten free without *knowing* you are allergic to it, but I don't agree, there's nothing wrong with cutting it out of your diet and seeing if you feel better. :)
    As for me, I tried cutting it out and I didn't notice a different BUT my boyfriend did, he said I used to often say I felt sick after I ate/become pale or red, but now I don't! Caved and ate pasta today and now I have hives. O.o Never noticed this stuff before someone else pointed it out lol!

Edit: forgot to post my favorite meals: chicken and rice, anything in the Schar product line, lots of veggies and fruits...potato chips haha.
  • KatjaNZ
    KatjaNZ Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I'm mostly GF since a year only because I thought I don't feel that we'll when I eat it.
    It's not so hard. Bread can be bought GF, I also baked a few on my own but didn't really like it.
    Instead of bread I have a self made muesli in the morning, almonds fruit during the day and GF meals for lunch and dinner.
    Rice, chicken, lots of vegetables. GF pasta is not great, but try to avoid pasta anyway.
    There are a few alternative grains, jus takes a while to get used to it.
    Good luck!
  • thistleandfi
    thistleandfi Posts: 102 Member
    Options

They make muffins?! D: All the sads that I have never seen them. I make my own at home but sometimes I'm just not in the mood to bake... gonna hunt these down, ty!

OP I meant to mention I second the inclusion of quinoa if you are looking for a filling grain. It is good for you and works with so many meals and recipes AND it is easy to prepare.
  • rmchapman4
    rmchapman4 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I have recently started gluten free. I am looking for friends.
  • newbeg1ning
    newbeg1ning Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I've been gluten free since December of last year and I can tell you it becomes easier. I did it because I was bed ridden for over a month and in severe pain, doctors couldn't find anything wrong with me and someone at work suggested I try it to se if it made a difference and it has! I haven't had any bread (wheat/gluten) products since and I feel great. i don't even eat the gluten free bread because I figured if I didn't miss the regular bread shouldn't eat it gluten free either...too many carbs. I also cut all caffeine, potatoes, rice, fast and, fried foods (not suggesting this for you, just mentioning what I've done).

I suggest you visit www.glutenfreegodess.com or consider a paleo diet, nomnompaleo.com and everydaypaleo.com are also good resources. Good Luck!:smile:
  • sam363
    sam363 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Welcome to being gf!! I am allergic to wheat and cannot have even a tiny bite. I've been gf officially since November. I also love breads and pastas and so thankful that my grocery store carries gf pasta (rice or quinoa) they also have Udis bread. Betty Crocker has a great gf brownie mix as well. I've found that gf pancake mix is best made as a waffle.

Easiest go to food in my house are fruit with string cheese, mixed baby greens with avocado and tuna, eggs made anyway you like them. Our meals are usually composed of meat or protein and two veggies.

If you are not eating a gluten substitute like Udi's bread plan on eating more snacks. Think clean eating and you will get the hang of it.

Good luck!!!
  • Fourthgirl
    Fourthgirl Posts: 4
    Options
    I have also been gf for over a year now. Was tested and was negative but my sister had been diagnosed celiac and I had all the same symptoms. Went gf for 2 weeks and immediately had relief then went back on for a weekend just to see and immediately had bloating, cramps and the other digestive problems I am sure you all have had. So went off again and have't looked back. Since then my brother has also tested positive. I find there is so much info now it is almost overwhelming. Many good websites and good products out there. I have made homemade bread with my breadmaker which has turned out good and tried many mixes some good and some terrible. I keep a list so I don't buy stuff I don't like. But most healthy food is naturally gf. Cheese, eggs, veg, fruit, meat all in moderation. Quinoa is like a miracle food for me. I have it for breakfast with a little Qi'a and fresh fruit mixed in. But also use it where ever I would use pasta or rice. It just goes with everything and fills you up. Costco also has many gf products which are cheaper than many specially food stores. Stick with it it is worth it. But watch out for prepared products they won't help you loose weight.
  • sugarfree123
    sugarfree123 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I have been gluten free for about 4 years now. You have to read every label at first. If you don't, you could be accidentally getting gluten and thinking that going gluten free isn't helping you when you are still eating small amounts of it. Since I can't eat the really good gluten stuff, I decided to take my food one level up the chain and I eat very clean now. Lean meat, fruit and veges. gluten free products are still processed junk food and they are very expensive - real budget busters! If you stick with real food, meat, fruit and veges, you can shop anywhere.
  • SusanMPreston43
    SusanMPreston43 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for your encouraging comment and tips! I am seeing it is getting easier, but I noticed that so much in my house has gluten in it!
    Can you believe BOCA burgers have wheat gluten in them???

Anyway, I see this as something I am going to want to do for life. So, it's slow going.

Any one here can feel free to add me. This is a team effort!