Reached My Goal But...

Options
jerrygon10
jerrygon10 Posts: 4 Member
...should I lose a few more pounds or just "maintain"?

I have exceeded my goal and am now 6lbs away from my old fighting weight from my younger days.

Dilemma: Some family, friends, and co-workers have said that I shouldn't lose more weight but I don't know if it's motivated by
jealousy or sincerity. I feel fine and I eat a balanced diet thanks to MFP.

I exceeded my original goal by tracking my food (using MFP), eating better things, and walking more (45mins x 4 per week). From 9/26/12 to 5/1/13 I lost 56lbs and am now 171lbs, 6ft tall, male, 49 yrs old. It wasn't that difficult at all for me for some reason, but I don't want to be "too thin" either.

Has anyone else dealt with this "problem"?

Replies

• EstyPorter
    EstyPorter Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Yes, my friends and family tell me the same thing, but if YOU see that you could lose a few more pounds, then go for it ! As long as youre still healthy and feel well, then theres no problem. But youre right, youre a man, and you dont want to get too thin..Another thing, you could ask the opinion of someone that you dont have a personal relationship with, like a docor, nutritionist, or just post your pics and stats on here, people will tell you the TRUTH. Goodluck! And good job reaching your goal!
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Hello there and congrats on your making your goals.

I had/have the same exact problem. I went about 5 pounds under my goal. Every single person I know has told me I am too thin. I say thanks and move on my way. I have been maintaining, within 2 pounds, above and below, for the past 8 months. People still THINK that I am losing weight and I have to explain to everyone that I have been the same weight for 8 months.

Bottom line here is: Everyone is USE TO seeing you fat.

You know what you are comfortable with. If you are happy, then tell everyone else to mind their business.

Ironic side note. When I go out to eat with friends or family, I eat more than anyone sitting with me. Everyone is amazed at how I eat so much and am still able to maintain.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Haven't had to deal with this "problem" yet but.....YOU need to feel comfortable and happy in your body.
  • skinnydreams19
    skinnydreams19 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Maintain, you can do it!
  • PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot
    PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat - I feel like I should drop another 5 or so just as a buffer to avoid having any variation in weight put me over by more than a pound or two.
  • Erikalynne18
    Erikalynne18 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I posted a similar question a while back because I had co-workers who I'm sure were simply concerned, but they acted like I was TOO skinny and suggested I stop. It was actually to the point that I questioned if I was going "too far" with this diet thing.

However, if you eat a balanced diet and don't starve yourself then what is the harm with being the best you can be right? :) I too have exceeded my goal and am only 1.5 lbs away from the lowest I have ever been, but I decided that now I want to go all the way and so I added an extra 5 lb goal :) MFP has made me realise that I can do things I didn't think I could!

Only you know when you are ready to start "maintaining" your weight :) But if you are worried about looking too thin perhaps you could look at increasing your strength training? Once I hit my weight goal I don't want to think of it as "maintaining" though since I want to increase my muscle definition :) Perhaps you could think of other goals other than weight? Maybe running a 1/2 marathon or something if you are into running? :)
  • TravelDog14
    TravelDog14 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    "Bottom line here is: Everyone is USED TO seeing you fat."

I think this ^^^^ is a huge part of it.
    I get comments from co-workers nearly every day that I'm too skinny. I know I'm not, and this knowledge is based on numerous things (to include my doctor saying I'm just fine how I am now) but for the past 10 years everyone became used to seeing me 70 pounds heavier than I am now.

Our idea of normal weight is so warped, especially here in the U.S. that as a culture we've lost our objectivity on what a healthy weight looks like.

Congrats on reaching your goal and good luck with getting to where you feel comfortable.
  • krowanvil
    krowanvil Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    The real question is are you happy with your appearance and how you feel?
    I agree with Erikalynne18 that you may want to try weight lifting. I have seen many post from people who lost all their excess weight but still felt flabby. They found that by lifting weights their bodies tightened up and gave them the look they were after, without losing any more weight.
  • jerrygon10
    jerrygon10 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you ALL for your input (especially the guys). It's nice to know others have been through the same circumstances. I was surprised that other men responded, I thought it would only be women. I guess I'll maintain or maybe go no more than 5lbs lower. I'm very lucky that I did this gradually (1.5lbs a week more or less) so no loose or flabby skin problem.

Bottom line, I guess it only matters what I think after all and I'm okay with my old 32 inch waist!

Thank you all again, your comments really helped me.
  • cowboy48
    cowboy48 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Maintenance will be more difficult than dieting. At least that is what I found. I went from 320 pounds to 175. I did mine by watching what I ate and running. I am 51. It is easy to see the difference when you are losing and eating right. It is when you stop losing and maintain and still do the exercise and eating right that you think - oh it won't hurt me to eat this piece of cake or this bowl of ice cream. Old habits rear their ugly heads sometimes. Be careful on how you approach maintenance or you will find yourself going back on the wagon to lose what you gained. I am speaking from experience of course-lol. I didn't gain much before I caught it but it was so easy and comfortable to eat what I wanted again. It is really hard to eat right and exercise and not want to really see a loss on the scale. Good luck on the second part of this journey.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!