Running Beyond 5K

Options
Hey there all you lovely runners! I have a question for you all. But first, some background information! Long story short, I've been running for a little under a year and have managed to build up to 3 miles and very rarely 4 (like twice). I've run four races so far, all 5Ks. The thing is, I want to start increasing my distance and eventually get up to 10K. The problem is that I can't seem to get past 5K. I've been doing training runs of 2-3 miles consistently for two months now after coming back from a break, but when I try to do more, it doesn't always work. I know physically I'll need to build up to longer distances, but I guess my question is how did you guys manage to push past this point, or just a plateau in general? I know 'just go do it' will be the common answer, but how did you build yourself up to do that? Any advice would be much appreciated! I'd love to get past this and get to my goal of doing a 10K before the year is over.

Replies

• JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Joining in so I can see the replies. I am registered for a half this fall. eeeeeek!
  • eej23
    eej23 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have been running for about 3 years now, and started just like you! it all sounds so familiar. I think that I started increasing my distance about a quarter mile at a time longer than the 5k and if I felt like running longer then I would. I think the thing that helped me the most was running with someone that had done longer distances. That push was SUPER helpful! Hang in there. Hal Higdon, as well as other pros, have some great training plans. Don't rush it and don't get frustrated (easier said than done).
  • eej23
    Options
    Half marathon is my favorite distance! I did a full 2 years ago, and it was TOUGH. The half is a great distance. GOOD LUCK!!! :)
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Why not try a Bridge to 10K program?
  • bannedword
    bannedword Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    You really only need to run longer once a week. Stick with your 3 miles during the week but go a little further on Saturday... like 3 and a half. Then next Saturday, 4. Every 3 or 4 weeks, step back a little, say from 4.5 to 3.5 and then work back up.

There are training plans to be had all over the interwebs. Runners World's Smart Coach is a good one, and free.
  • cbusenhart
    cbusenhart Posts: 7
    Options
    I started my 5k journey with the free iPhone app, C25K by Zen Labs. I loved it! It coaches you on increasing running up to 5k. Because I had such success with it, I searched online for a 10k app...and Zen Labs has one of those for free, too! I use my iPhone in an arm case, turn on the app, and run/walk. It tells you what to do and gets you up to 10k (6.2 miles) within 12 weeks. After that, and running a couple of 10ks, I then went online and searched for Hal Higdon's free half marathon training plans (novice). I just completed my first half marathon 2+ weeks ago, after just completing my first 5k last July. It's possible to work your way up fairly quickly, but the main key is consistency...and allowing yourself REST days!
  • bannedword
    bannedword Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Half marathon is my favorite distance! I did a full 2 years ago, and it was TOUGH. The half is a great distance. GOOD LUCK!!! :)

My favorite distance too. So civilized. Go run for a while, get a medal and then go have breakfast with your friends.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    The only way to get there is to log more miles. You have to build your cardio endurance.

You'd be surprised how much of running is mental. You just have to push yourself to do it. I think there is a program called 'bridge to 10k' that continues on 'couch to 5k', but I've haven't done it. Increase mileage slowly, no more than 10% of your total mileage per week. So, if you ran 10 miles last week, try to run 11 this week. You don't have to add them all in one run, try spreading it out, a quarter mile at a time.

Strength training will help. Squats, lunges, and core work is important in helping out your overall mechanics.
  • MsWax
    MsWax Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Just add a little bit at a time. I started out running about 3 miles. Then one day I tried 3.5, then 4, etc. Listening to music really helped me. I would tell myself, "I'm going to run for X many songs." Also, plan out your routes ahead of time. I really like http://mappedometer.com/ to give me exact distances. If you can find a "loop route," you don't give your self the option to cut it short...you just keep running until you are back where you started.

Last fall I ran a half marathon. Not only did I never imagine myself being able to do it, I'd never even considered it before last spring. Running became something I fell in love with. It was my time to decompress. Find a way to make it feel like a treat, and you'll never want to stop!
  • eej23
    Options

My favorite distance too. So civilized. Go run for a while, get a medal and then go have breakfast with your friends.

Totally!!
  • twoboysnmygirl
    twoboysnmygirl Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I remember this exact feeling! I felt like I was stuck at 2.5-3 miles for the longest time! What worked for me was to start building on 1 long run a week. I kept doing the 5K twice a week and then the 3rd run of the week I started to add .25 to .5 miles each time. It took a bit, but once I got over that hump I got to where 4 miles was more the norm finally. Now I push and can do 5 and if I really push I can do 10K (which I'm training for now) but that 4-4.5 miles is much easier to do and a 5K I just work on speed now b/c a "short" run for me! Once you get over that hump a few times, it will get easier, but I think it really helped to just try once a week. Then I mentally could push more, thinking "I just have to push another .5 for this long run and then my next couple runs are 3 miles".
  • cbeutler
    cbeutler Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Add about 10 percent per week max. Run the early part of your run easy. Most of it is psychological. So do a few normal runs and one long run. Even if you need to do intervals. I started walking in April 2012 and couldn't run a 5k straight through until September? But I quickly got to 10 miles after that.
  • eej23
    Options
    You really only need to run longer once a week. Stick with your 3 miles during the week but go a little further on Saturday... like 3 and a half. Then next Saturday, 4. Every 3 or 4 weeks, step back a little, say from 4.5 to 3.5 and then work back up.

There are training plans to be had all over the interwebs. Runners World's Smart Coach is a good one, and free.

great advice!
  • manhn1
    manhn1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    When you do your "long" run, maybe try a different route. I find that when I try to run longer on the treadmill, for example, I just automatically want to finish at a certain point in time because I'm just used to stopping at that point. Same thing when I run outdoors. If I use the same route, once I hit a particular landmark I'm just used to stopping...so I stop. By using a different route, there won't be anything that will condition to stop or slow down.
  • zevduv
    zevduv Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I agree with the commenter who recommended Hal Higdon's plan. Very easy to follow. For me, after I was comfortably up to 3, I just picked out a 4 mile run and figured I would walk it if I couldn't make it. I only did the longer run once a week, no more. 1st time seemed easier than 2nd or 3rd, sometimes I was walking the last 1/2 mile but, pretty soon, I was at 4 and then more. I never do most runs over 3-4 now even though I could so, who cares, really. I do 1 long run a week, about 6-10. If you want to do 10 K's or 1/2 marathons just up the mileage very slowly, (no more than 10% weekly), don't forget to eat so you don't tire, drink so you don't cramp, (I have a green shake..a bunch of leafy greens like kale, dandelion or parsley, small piece of ginger, handful of berries, 2 cups water in a vitamix, yum!). You'll be there too. G'luck!
  • lynnej73
    lynnej73 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Interested in replies too.

I am a beginning runner. I just finished couch to 5K and ran my first 5K and am wondering what next? I'd eventually like to get to 10K to be able to vary my runs and run with friends. I've been looking around online and like both Galloway and Hal Higdon's 10 K training plans. They both have shorter runs during the week and a slightly longer run on the weekends. I have read that short walking breaks are fine as long as you are getting your miles in. I think I am going to try to slow down (not that I am fast at all lol) so I am not breathing hard and tired at the end of 3 miles and take small walking breaks here and there and loosely follow one of the programs or maybe a combination of the two. Looking foward to others thoughts on the subject!
  • rmdaly
    rmdaly Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Hal Higdon's training plans are really good. Training Peaks and Map My Run are also web sites/apps which can create training plans for you, although I don't think they are free.

I like training groups. Many of them have beginner level groups. Its a great way to meet other people at your same level and then have friends at the races. Ask at your local running store.
  • camrunner
    camrunner Posts: 363
    Options
    I had been running three miles at a time, several times a week. This was in May, so it was pretty hot and I usually felt like that was enough. One day it was overcast and drizzly and I finished my three miles and I didn't feel like stopping. So I kept running for another half an hour or so.

So... it just kind of happened? I dunno. Didn't seem like such a big deal.
  • storm15918
    storm15918 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Oh my, so many responses in such little time! Thanks everyone! :smile:

I think the mental aspect is what's blocking me right now. Physically I know I can do more, but my mind is stuck at that 5K distance. I have a 10K program picked out, but I sort of got stuck during the 'pre-training' week because of this whole issue. I really like the idea of one longer run per week! I think I'll stick to the usual distance for the weekdays and do a long run on the weekend when I have lots of time lol. This probably won't be a surprise to anyone, but reading what everyone has suggested, I think I was just trying to add too much distance too quickly. For some reason I got this idea in my head that I had to go from 3 to 4 to 5 miles, etc. A quarter mile a week sounds much easier to manage!

As for routes, I always pre-plan them because there's a lot of back country roads where I run and not knowing where I'm going will get me lost lol. Luckily, as the distances grow, I have to use different routes because some of the loops are too short. There's a few really long ones I want to try, so I have something to look forward to as well :smile:

Thanks again for all of the advice! It helps so much to hear what has worked for others and to be reminded that I'm being too hard on myself yet again lol. You guys are the best!
  • cbeutler
    cbeutler Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    One other thought. Pick a 10k out in about 6 weeks. Register and pay for it. Find some runner buddies and make your running social.