HRM, confused.

Options
I got a HRM today and am a little confused. I just did 15 minutes of the 30DS... I didn't
finish because this thing has me stumped. I check my heart rate every 2-3 minutes,
basically between circuits in the video. I'm still on Level One. My heart rate got up to
171 at the highest and stayed right around 100-115 at the lowest. Yet, the calorie burner
says I only burned 29 calories and I am DRENCHED in sweat and gasping for air like a
fish out of water (really out of shape here). Is there something I am doing wrong or did
I really only burn 29 calories?!

Replies

• RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    What brand is it? Did you enter in all your settings correctly like weight, height etc?
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Does it have a chest strap?
    Does it allow you to adjust personal settings? If so, did you make sure they are accurate for you?
  • jessgetshealthy
    Options
    It's a sport line. No chest strap. I think I am going to return it if I don't figure something
    out. It did not have a place for me to enter weight and height, only age. :P
  • jessgetshealthy
    Options
    Honestly, I had a very limited budget and could not spend over $40 and it is looking like
    I got exactly what I paid for. The reviews on it seem okay, but I feel like I burned a lot
    more than just 29 calories.
  • richh963
    richh963 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    you proably be more happy with a polar ft4 or ft7 with a chest strap, I have a ft7 and love mine.
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Save up and purchase a Polar FT4 or FT7 :)
  • shadow2soul
    Options
    It's a sport line. No chest strap. I think I am going to return it if I don't figure something
    out. It did not have a place for me to enter weight and height, only age. :P

Oh, I think I know what one your talking about. Problem with it, is it only takes your HR when you push the button. And as such, say you checked your HR and it was 110. Until you check your HR again, its going to think your HR hasn't changed and as such give a low cal burn.

I recommend this one if you're on a budget (its a little cheaper than the sportline):

http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-Sports-PHRM38PN-Monitor-Calories/dp/B006QP0R2E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1367463023&sr=8-1&keywords=pyle+sports+phrm38pn+heart+rate+monitor+watch+with+minimum

I had that sportline watch and had nothing but trouble with it. This ^ is what I got as a replacement (only in pink) and I absolutely love it.
  • jessgetshealthy
    Options
    Edit, the FIRST reviews seemed okay. Can anyone recommend something around the
    $40-$50 price range that would be more accurate.
  • shadow2soul
    Options

In my last post, I gave the link to the one I have. $23 - $32 depending on color.
  • jessgetshealthy
    Options
    It's the S7. I get it now. I really like the one you linked to Pyle Sports. So the
    chest straps helps it have a more accurate reading, then?
  • shadow2soul
    Options
    Yep, the chest strap gives it a continuous way to monitor your heart rate.
  • luckydays27
    luckydays27 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I have the New Balance N4 and love it so for. It has a chest strap and I can input my personal info. I feel as though its pretty accurate with the workouts I do.

Target sells it for $60. Ebay has the same one in green for $35.
  • jessgetshealthy
    Options
    Thanks guys. I will definitely be returning this one and getting something with a chest
    strap!
  • haleyjester
    haleyjester Posts: 197 Member
    Options

I have a polar FT4 that i got off amazon for 64.99, no shipping or anything. I absolutely love it. It has the chest strap and I am amazed at how many more calories I have actually been burning compared to what MFP says. I highly recommend you spend the extra 15 dollars and buy it. It is normally 90+ in stores. It is all new in box and everything, Ive had no problems and got it on the first day it was expected!