Eating Calories that Fitbit Adds on

Options
Are you supposed to eat the calories of the fitbit adjustment??

Replies

• Arianwyn_T
    Options
    yes --- you've already set your weight-loss goal here, and when you go to your food diary it will tell you how many you have to eat including your adjustment for exercise. For example, I'm supposed to eat 1450 NET calories, which means that if I earn 300 from exercise I now get/have to eat back those calories bringing my GROSS calorie consumption to 1750.

If you don't eat back your exercise calories your body can go into starvation mode, and that will make it harder to burn fat!
  • NinaGrace77
    Options
    I don't, but i don't consider it "real" exercise. For me the fitbt is motivation, its keeps me more aware of my general activity level, and gives me a push to not be a couch potato. I never eat back my exercise calories, have not gone into starvation mode, and have lost 78 pounds in the past 2 years doing cardio and strength training.
  • AlyssaJoJo
    AlyssaJoJo Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I'm bumping this instead of adding a topic very much like this.

Lately I've been doing more - between my short work outs with a HRM and my fitbit I'm burning 1200+ calories a day. This is making it VERY hard for me to eat my calories back. When I was at -1.5 lbs I was around 1500 calories a day before working out. With these new calories burned I would have to eat 2700 calories a day. I have no idea how to do that in a healthy way! I'm a weekday vegetarian and I try to eat pretty clean. I had one night this week where I ate a brownie just to get up to 1700 calories ate. I'm just looking at any advice from people who have been here longer.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I'm bumping this instead of adding a topic very much like this.

Lately I've been doing more - between my short work outs with a HRM and my fitbit I'm burning 1200+ calories a day. This is making it VERY hard for me to eat my calories back. When I was at -1.5 lbs I was around 1500 calories a day before working out. With these new calories burned I would have to eat 2700 calories a day. I have no idea how to do that in a healthy way! I'm a weekday vegetarian and I try to eat pretty clean. I had one night this week where I ate a brownie just to get up to 1700 calories ate. I'm just looking at any advice from people who have been here longer.
    When I worked construction, I burned about an extra 1400 kCals per day for an 8 hour day. Are you sure you are doing 1200 kCals in exercise daily?
  • AlyssaJoJo
    Options
    Per my HRM and fitbit. Like I said, the majority of these calories are from the fitbit I'm wearing. I don't know how much I should take that seriously? Most of the fitbit steps come from peddling since I work an office job and I'm trying to stay active while working. I don't really want to wear a HRM through out my full day just to see how much it's the same. Also - I have found since I've started seeing these big numbers I have not lost any weight. I actually gained a pound.
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Per my HRM and fitbit. Like I said, the majority of these calories are from the fitbit I'm wearing. I don't know how much I should take that seriously? Most of the fitbit steps come from peddling since I work an office job and I'm trying to stay active while working. I don't really want to wear a HRM through out my full day just to see how much it's the same. Also - I have found since I've started seeing these big numbers I have not lost any weight. I actually gained a pound.

Where do you wear your fitbit while peddling?
  • AlyssaJoJo
    Options
    I put it on my sock after being told my a lot of fitbit users to do it that way to get it to count the steps that I'm tech taking
  • islandlifenc
    islandlifenc Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I've only had my Fitbit for a couple of weeks, but I'm definitely eating back the calories that I get. I have NEGATIVE ADJUSTMENTS turned on here on MFP, and I have both MFP and FB set to the same activity level, and same desired loss level, so they're pretty much in sync with each other on the numbers (give or take about 10 calories per day).

If I didn't eat the extra calories that Fitbit sends over to MFP, I wouldn't NET my target calories of 1510/day for a 1.5 lb/week loss. I want to eat the maximum calories that I can and still lose weight, because when I get to goal, I don't want to have to keep my calories super low just to maintain the loss.
  • kr3851
    Options
    I put it on my sock after being told my a lot of fitbit users to do it that way to get it to count the steps that I'm tech taking

Ok, that makes sense, but do you log it as peddling at the time using an activity record?

My concern is that peddling for an hour on a pushbike, walking (or running) for an hour, and peddling underneath your desk are very different exercises. Peddling under your desk, while still movement, is not weight-bearing, and therefore doesn't require your body to use anywhere near enough effort as the other two options. I would suggest logging an activity record for the times you are peddling under your desk - you will still get the 'step' credit for the action, but the calorie burn won't be anywhere near as high.
  • AlyssaJoJo
    Options

Ok, that makes sense, but do you log it as peddling at the time using an activity record?

My concern is that peddling for an hour on a pushbike, walking (or running) for an hour, and peddling underneath your desk are very different exercises. Peddling under your desk, while still movement, is not weight-bearing, and therefore doesn't require your body to use anywhere near enough effort as the other two options. I would suggest logging an activity record for the times you are peddling under your desk - you will still get the 'step' credit for the action, but the calorie burn won't be anywhere near as high.

I don't do it for a hour period at a time. I take 5 minutes out of every hour and peddle hard while holding my self up from my chair in a really messed up version of a backwards plank... if that makes sense lol. I also during this time do pushups, sit ups, and crunches so I feel like if the fitbit is over estimating it might even out with the strength that I'm doing that it isn't counting?
  • kr3851
    Options

I don't do it for a hour period at a time. I take 5 minutes out of every hour and peddle hard while holding my self up from my chair in a really messed up version of a backwards plank... if that makes sense lol. I also during this time do pushups, sit ups, and crunches so I feel like if the fitbit is over estimating it might even out with the strength that I'm doing that it isn't counting?

Haha now I just want to find out where you work and come watch... sounds strange! It sounds like you're on the right track though - I was just concerned with 8 hours of peddling your fitty might think you were running a marathon every day and be giving you the extra calories. But it doesn't sound like you would be doing too much for overestimation.