is it just the cals, or is it what you eat?

Options
blh_1010
blh_1010 Posts: 284 Member
Ok so I have never really eaten healthy (we didn't have the money for it growing up) now that I have the money, I am trying to eat healthier, so it is better to eat healthy or just to watch the cal intake? For example today I can actually go to Arby's eat a medium curly fry and have chicken tenders and still be 100 cals under my target cals for the day. So if I didn't go to arby's but had a 500 cal meal at home, would that be better, even though I would be WAY under my cal intake for the day?
This whole eating healthy thing is new...and I am making the switch by adding more fresh veggies and fruits, but I just don't know which is more important for weight loss cals or healthy...Let me know your thoughts. I know this might sound kind of dumb, but this is really new to me, and knowing I have plenty of room to eat out makes me want to eat out...but if that is actually worse then the cals I might cut back even more. (We use to go out 4 - 5 times a week, now this week we are down to 3...trying to cut back little at a time and eat at home more. But I end up having a lot of cals left over when we do eat at home. Do you see the deliema?

Replies

• kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    Depends on the person I guess. Restaurant food generally causes water weight gain for me because it's usually higher in sodium than anything I make at home. I would say aim for getting your 3-5 fruits and vegetables and your 2 servings of dairy and fill in the rest with healthy carbs and proteins.
  • tcam70455
    tcam70455 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Eating healthier foods is definitely better for you, but it's okay to eat out sometimes, too. Because you are gradually making lifestyle changes, you are more likely to stick to them. If I really want something I deem not too healthy, I do save calories or do an extra workout. If you aren't getting enough calories in daily, try adding some more protein to your meals, or healthy carbs. I know I go under quite a bit too, but working on it.
  • eekface
    eekface Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Your body performs better and is healthier , the healthier foods you eat.
  • jacqueline0821
    jacqueline0821 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I would say eatting healthier foods whether at a restaurant or home is the best choice. Just think of how foods are processed and what they are cooked in. I think about it this way - I could eat candy bars for my daily calories or lean mean, fruits, veggies, etc. The candy bars have no nutritional benefit for your body. (Not that I don't eat them sometimes :laugh: ) Just my input.
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I don't know about you, but I'm here to get healthy. Not to lose weight and still have clogged arteries.
    I want to change my life for the better.
    Or should I say I have changed my life for the better.
    To be honest, besides Subway, I haven't even thought about going to a fast food place in years.
    My body wouldn't even know how to process that food, and let me tell ya, it would let me know in a hurry that I was eating crap food.
    But - that's just me.
  • roxie0920
    roxie0920 Posts: 41
    Options
    I think that it is what you eat more than just calories. If you are eating an abundance of a certain thing like fat or sugar, your body will store it. It makes a difference for me, personally, if I eat 500 calories of carbs with veggies than 500 calories of garbage. :) I recently learned about trans fats. These fats are more difficult to burn off because they are shaped in a way that allows them to fit together more densely, which makes them harder to break up. Hope this helps, or is at least interesting.
  • lilac67
    lilac67 Posts: 311
    Options
    It can be expensive to eat healthy, that's for sure! From a weight loss stand point,, calories in, calories out seems to be the right way to go. I went thru the drive thru today, too. I tried to pick the better choices. I a 1/2 of a kid size fry. I started my slow change 2 yrs ago. 1st I quit smoking, 2nd I started eating healthy and exercising, now I'm stepping up the exercise and counting the calories.
    I guess the futher I go, the more healthy stuff I incorporate.

The changes I made were egg whites instead of whole eggs, whole wheat instead of white bread. Skim milk instead of 2%. Brown rice instead of pre-packaged or white. Instead of regular pasta I use the ones like Barilla plus w/ omega 3. I use lean beef and ground turkey, even turkey sausages. At dinner, I rarely eat a carb, unless it's spaghetti night or sometimes a red potato with a steak. I use Ragu sugar free spaghetti sauce. When I oven fry chicken I process Fiber One cereal instead of using bread crumbs.I'd just start out with 1 change each week, like switching your bread.

I think it does matter what you put in your body, I would say heathy is important. I hope this helps! Good Luck!
  • Ryhenblue
    Ryhenblue Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    The calories aren't the only things to look at. Fat, sodium, protein, fiber, and carbohydrates are just as important to look at. You have to look at all of these values when you're deciding on what to eat. Cooking roast at home and making a sandwich with whole grain bread is way better for you than an Arby's sandwich. If you are strapped for time to cook and that is the reason you're eating out then make food in advance and freeze into 1-2 serving containers.
  • 4myheartnsoul
    Options
    Smart choices- weigh think about it...a piece of chicken dipped in batter and fried in grease or a skinless boneless breast sprinkled with seasoning and grilled. Eat out occasionally but check the fat and carbs and sodium and not just the calories. Even having a salad can add up, learn what not to have in it and the better dressings
  • antiadipose
    antiadipose Posts: 447
    Options
    think about all the saturated fat and total fat in those fries! but u can have a baked potato at home! i bake fries at home!
    and if u make a sandwich at home instead of arby's ull save on sodium, fat and sugars. they inject fast food with all kinds of sugars, fat, salt etc.
    im all about eating big tasty meals! dont think ur gna change ur life with a cabbage soup or some fad like that. but make healthy choices and make it tasty and extravagant. try and make the foods u like at fast food restaurants at home with healthy swaps!

to answer ur question... it IS what u eat.
  • iambrandice
    iambrandice Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel, my family was the same way. My mom used to have us go to McDonald's like 3 or 4 times a week, and when she cooked, it would be mac & cheese, hamburger helper, or one of those TV dinners. Now my parents still don't eat very well, but since I became a vegetarian, they have been more willing to let me choose what I eat. It's still hard to eat healthy, when my parents have just meat and potatoes for dinner, or meat and pasta, because that is mostly fat and carbs. I'm not saying that meat is bad, but it is one of the reasons why Americans diets are so bad. You're only supposed to have about 2 or 3 servings of meat a day, and most people make the meat their main dish and don't have the right portions! So be careful with that... I try to eat potatoes and pasta scarcely, even though pasta is my alltime FAVORITE!

One trick is that I usually try to pick my dinner based on what food groups I had for breakfast and dinner, that way I get a wellrounded set of meals that day.

It also helps if you look at your other nutrient groups on your food diary. On mine, I have calories, fat, sugar, fiber, protein, and vitamin C, this is a wide range of nutrients, and I get them from different foods, so it helps a little to eat some of every food group. It all depends on each person. I am a vegetarian, so that's why I keep protein on there.

I'll actually look at my food diary before I get a snack to see what I should have. For example, the other day I was a little over in sugar, but lower in fat and fiber, so I decided to have popcorn. Make sure you change which nutrients show up on your food diary so that it helps you the most!

It's always good to avoid processed foods if you can. Anything organic is obviously going to be better for you (even if it has a little more calories), because preservatives and artificial sweeteners are not that great for you!

One other note is that the more complex sugars are better for you because they keep you full for longer, as opposed to simple sugars. What I mean is that bread and pasta have more complex sugars and will be better for you than the simple sugars in candy and a lot of fruits. This stuff gets confusing sometimes to me and hard to balance in my diet, but every little change you make and habit you set will help you in the long run!

Well I hope I was of some help to you! These are just a bunch of little notes that I use in my diet and hopefully some of it will help you a little. Good luck! :)
  • iambrandice
    Options
    I was going to mention something about cereals. I noticed the other day that some of the healthier cereals like FiberOne and Special K actually have more calories than like Captain Crunch. Captain Crunch has about 110 while Special K has 120 and I think FiberOne has like 170 or something. It is obvious that Captain Crunch has a lot more bad sugar and would be the worst choice, so this is an example of how calories don't always say what is healthier.
  • iambrandice
    Options
    Don't forget to treat yourself every once in a whle though! Don't banish your favorite foods from your diet, have some occasionally.
  • evanlyn
    evanlyn Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    The food we eat is more than just fuel: the calories give us the energy to move about and for our organs to do their thing but it's the vitamins and minerals that keep our bodies functioning properly and keep illness at bay. So I'd say, "Yes, it's definitely about what you eat." Getting in our daily energy needs is easy, getting in enough nutrients to keep everything healthy is much more difficult and takes a bit more effort to make the right choices. After eating a healthy diet for a while you'll probably see other benefits as well as any weightloss: stronger hair and nails and clearer skin are a few that I've noticed.
  • pchristie
    pchristie Posts: 38
    Options
    This may sound a little weird, but I am just going to share my experience with this. I find that if I eat foods that are unhealthy and loaded with simple sugars, it puts me into craving mode and makes it much harder to make healthy choices for the rest of the day. It makes me think that somehow my body is addicted to these foods - weird I know, but that's just how it feels. Also, if I eat those types of foods, it makes me feel really gross. I recently took my kids to the Yarmouth Clam Festival here in Maine. It was tons of fun, but I made some poor food choices. I ate fried clams and french fries. I didn't even eat that much of them, but it was enough. When that fat hit my stomach, I felt so gross, I had to sit down and not move for a little while. My body really didn't know how to digest that grease and fat. Even my eyes hurt. Also, as my body digests those simple sugars, I go from being happy to cranky and tired. If I eat too much of it, I've even had sugar hangovers. It's not fun.

The moral of the story is - everything in moderation, but when a choice presents itself, choose healthy. If there aren't any healthy choices available, make sure you always have something healthy in your purse or car so you can still choose healthy. It really does matter to your body.
  • blh_1010
    blh_1010 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the information. Like I said before, the whole eating healthy thing, was never really introduced to me and so it is all new. Like I don't even know what fruits and veggies are good or not. So anyway moral of the story I am seeing is it is what you eat. Went out to eat last night, had my bfs little cousins with us, and they wanted to go to Burger King. Today going to Lunch with my BF at a local joint that is very greasy. But tonight is a lean pocket and some apples with a banana. After I ate the Burger King, I didn't feel to hot either, only after a week and a half of eating healthy and this is what I get :(, but it just means my body is liking the good food instead of the bad. Thanks everyone! :)