Hormone condition - Dr. orders only 1100 calories/day :(

Options
Is anyone else out there being treated for extreme endometriosis?

I have been on hormone injections for 6 months - which caused a sudden and sharp weight gain. The doctor put me on a strict 1100 calorie per day diet. I don't feel like it's enough! I'm starving AND not losing weight (3 weeks into my effort.)

What would you do?

Replies

• palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Call your doctor and tell him/her you are starving on the diet and see if they have suggestions or ideas. Because this is a hormone condition and the caloric intake is prescribed I would try to stick to it. Also, perhaps seek a second opinion from a doctor who specializes with hormonal/ thyroid conditions.
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Why don't you just ask your doctor if you can eat little bit more? Or see a dietitian. Random people on the Internet isn't the place to ask about serious medical conditions. There is a dietitian on these forums. You could ask him.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Eat foods that you can eat more of with fewer calories. Lots of veggies fill up your tummy without many calories so you can eat more and more often.

Incorporate weight training or some other eercise so you burn some calories and then get to eat them back.
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Eat foods that you can eat more of with fewer calories. Lots of veggies fill up your tummy without many calories so you can eat more and more often.

Incorporate weight training or some other eercise so you burn some calories and then get to eat them back.

When doctors perscribe a calorie amount, it includes exercise already. That's not to say she shouldn't exercise. She should. Also, she can eat a lot of egg whites.
  • Angelbinick21
    Angelbinick21 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thanks, yall. I have an appointment in 2 weeks to re-evaluate the plan with my doctor.

I was hoping there was someone else out there who went through this that might have tips for getting through it :ohwell:
  • divemunkey
    divemunkey Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Get a new Dr. and go paleo.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    You may have hunger pangs, and some discomfort at times -- that's part of being on a diet -- but you cannot starve on 1100 calories a day. You do have to construct a healthy diet. See a Registered Dietician who can help you identify the healthiest and most satisfying foods.
  • mccbabe1
    mccbabe1 Posts: 737 Member
    Options

BUMP... EATING 'CLEAN' YOU CAN EAT SO SO SO MUCH MORE... LIKE EGG WHITE OMELETTES AND VEGGIES.. GET CREATIVE.. AND I VOTE YOU UP TO 1200 CALORIES.. OR EVERY 3RD DAY BUMP UP SO YOUR BODY ISNT STARVING AND YOUR METABOLISM STAYS GUESSING ALSO...
  • TigerPawsSC
    TigerPawsSC Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    In before random non-experts on the Internet tell you that your doctor is wrong.
  • Mel2626
    Mel2626 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    There's a group on here for women with endometriosis that might help you a bit more than general posting.
    Please check it out~ there are others that I'm sure have been in the same boat as you.
    Best of luck with everything! :smile:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/851-women-with-endometriosis
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options

Just because a doctor recommends low cals doesn't mean they aren't qualified. I would personally check with someone who is properly trained in diet and nutrition though for eating advice (get a referral to a dietician or nutritionist).

Go Paleo? Why? There is nothing special about eating paleo.

OP, fill up on veggies and water. Fill up on low calorie protein sources (egg whites for example) and fill up on fiber and healthy fats. Try to change what you love to be less calories.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    In before random non-experts on the Internet tell you that your doctor is wrong.

I know. Why is someone paying good money to seek professional medical help if s/he's only going ignore it? :smile:

Dx: Extreme Denial.
  • symkat
    symkat Posts: 70
    Options
    Sorry but doctors are only human and are capable of mistakes too just like we are. I wouldn't take advice from random strangers though I would see other doctors who are more qualified to help you. I was diagnosed with not having enough estrogen and without even testing me my doctor put me on yaz to give me more estrogen. that made things go from bad to horrible so I went and got a hormone test from zrt labs and took the results to a new ob gyn and it turns out I had severe estrogen dominance (the oposite of what my first doctor said) and was instead given progesterone and now I am doing fine. the bottom line is we have to take responsibility for our own health. If a doctor is telling you something that doesn't seem right get a 2nd opinion. If it turns out that you do need to stay with 1100 cals a day then you will have to find lower calorie foods that you can eat more of. If you eat a 400 calorie cheeseburger it's not gonna keep you full as long as a plate of broccoli and seasoned chicken which isless cals and more filling. bottom line is don't get discouraged. good luck and God bless.
  • Pearlyladybug
    Pearlyladybug Posts: 882 Member
    Options

BUMP... EATING 'CLEAN' YOU CAN EAT SO SO SO MUCH MORE... LIKE EGG WHITE OMELETTES AND VEGGIES.. GET CREATIVE.. AND I VOTE YOU UP TO 1200 CALORIES.. OR EVERY 3RD DAY BUMP UP SO YOUR BODY ISNT STARVING AND YOUR METABOLISM STAYS GUESSING ALSO...

I agree with with you eat "clean" you can eat alot more,

You could try making up some egg white veg muffins for snacks i made some the other day that we under 50cals a pop, Good source of protein too!

You just have to be smarter with your choices, Eg Instead of having a bag of chips for lunch for 200 cals have a piece of meat and fill up on broccoli.
  • Fit_French
    Fit_French Posts: 134 Member
    Options

^^^^this^^