What's your motivation secret?

Options
So I have completely changed my diet and have been working out 5 days a week for the past 3 weeks...I still don't see any result and I haven't even lost a pound. I know this stuff takes time, but how do all of you stay motivated? All this hard work and no results!

Replies

• dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I just tell myself "If you give up, you are only going to get bigger and bigger. If you keep trying - regardless of the numbers, you will EVENTUALLY get to your goal".
  • kelny
    kelny Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    A gradual lifestyle change that i can maintain for life (hopefully). Been doing this 2.5 years, Im not really on a diet, just eat a lot healthier and move around more. Sustainability and consistency
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Find a non-weight loss related goal so you have something to motivate you when the weight isn't coming off. Fitness related goals are great for this. Things like running a certain distance without stopping or in a particular time. Even better sign up for an event that challanges you. You could also set goals like doing a pull-up (or 10), being able to squat your body weight or do 50 pushups etc etc.
  • gowrirao81
    gowrirao81 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I think of what the scales and mirror might tell me if I hadn't made those changes! Staying the same weight is better than gaining, no?
    And you will get to your goal .. it sometimes just takes longer, chin up! :smile:
  • Justjamie0418
    Justjamie0418 Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    I just tell myself that how can this NOT work? As long as I am eating at a deficit, lifting heavy, and plowing through my cardio.. somethings GOT to give..
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Might be TMI but I had kidney stones. 2 separate incidents in November of last year. That changed everything for me.

I work out 3-4 days a week and I never miss a week. I've changed the food I eat to help avoid this problem. My secret motivation is the thought of ever getting kidney stones again. They are the most painful thing that can happen to a man! Some women say its more painful than giving birth, I wouldn't know about that. :wink:

Watch your health! Don't ever let this happen to you!
  • Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Not to troll or flame bait, but I completely understand where you're coming from. All this sweat and hard frickin work, I would like to see SOME kind of positive reinforcement from the scale and the tape measure.

I'm impatient. Tons of people don't agree with me, but I employ a significant calorie cut, the dreaded, maligned, hugely debated 1200. *dun dun dun*

It works. I take a multivitamin and eat healthy. I see the fat melt off, and I keep gaining with my weight lifting. When the weight loss slows, I refeed, and then start the cut again.

If what you're doing isn't working for you, try and find a strategy that fits your personality and what you like, there are TONS of different ways to rearrange your cut, and different levels to cut at, pick one that makes you happy =) (just, don't use any VLCD's, eating less than 1200 on a consistent basis is a terrible, terrible thing)
  • PaliDNAnge
    PaliDNAnge Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I have more energy and I feel better about myself. I also notice changes in my endurance and strength which makes me want to do more so I can go hiking in places I've been wanting to go or participate in certain races. My weight loss has slowed down, so I think about those things to keep myself going.
  • chesq77
    chesq77 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    My biggest motivation is future scenarios, like next year im going to study abroad so i want to be extremely fit and look great so when i look at a food, i ask myself if i put this in my body will it help me achieve my goals? and i do that with pretty much anything, i just ask myself if what i am about to do going to help me be at optimal health for next year.and i do love imagining and visualising peoples faces when they see the drastic change ive made. that always excites me.
  • salemnye
    salemnye Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    My motivation every day is looking at success stories. I look and read them before I head off to the gym or go out for a "run". I know that I'll eventually get to my goal one way or the other. Don't be discouraged yet, 3 weeks isn't that long. I'm on my 3rd week too and I only lost a pound last week as opposed to my 2 pounds the previous week. That slightly discouraged me but I didn't get this big over night and wont get skinny over night either ;) Oh yes, looking at my stomach and my before pictures motivate me as well.
  • hourrecord2020
    Options
    My Motivation is the fact that as a male in america I have to deal with enevitable violence. So i must protec myself. Also I have been gifted with good genetics so I might as well use my gifts. as should you all.
  • buffty
    buffty Posts: 83
    Options
    Reading unrealistic stories in the media doesn't help. 'I lost 50 pounds in a month!' or '(Celebrity) lost her baby weight in 2 weeks!' etc etc. Yeah, you got a gastric band/liposuction/a personal trainer/team of chefs/nutritionists etc etc.

We live in an era of instant gratification. Now now now. I'm seeing this as a long term project to get my weight back down, and trying not to weight myself on the scales every day feeling frustrated if I don't lose a pound overnight. As other posters have mentioned, you need to be patient and see this as a life long change. You can't expect results immediately, you've only been doing it for 3 weeks.

That said, I bet if you measure your waist and hips every few weeks you'll see a difference.
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    My Motivation is the fact that as a male in america I have to deal with enevitable violence. So i must protec myself. Also I have been gifted with good genetics so I might as well use my gifts. as should you all.

Bear attack mode: On.
  • VickyO1977
    VickyO1977 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    My motivation is my wedding. There are days when I think I really can't be bothered the I think of how I want to look and feel on my big day and it keeps me going.
  • tonytoo
    tonytoo Posts: 307
    Options

Yes, be careful. Those grammar Nazis can be a brutal bunch.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    In the past it was type II diabetes, high cholesterol, blood pressure, I was even on a beta blocker for a little while. I was taking 6 medications to control all the issues I had. I go rid of it all and no longer have diabetes or need to take any of the meds. Now what motivates me to get to the gym is to see 5 gym crushes I have there. :blushing:
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I usually find mine inside girls pants.
  • ChloeRoseLejeune
    Options
    Have you ever been so far even as decided to use go want to look more like?
  • Nissi51
    Nissi51 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    There is no secret to motivation... In fact motivation gets you started, it's discipline and patience that will get you to keep going.

Also figure out WHY you are doing this..in fact ask yourself that question and then ask it again. when you figure it out keep it in mind when the going gets tough. So you can keep going.

Also, this is about changing habits. So keep in mind (says the author of The Power of Less) following:
    - Adopting one new habit at a time results in an 85% chance of success
    - Adopting two new habits at once: a 35% chance of success
    - Adopting three or more new habits at once: less than 10% chance of success

Now think of how many habits are required to do what we do to lose weight, get fit - eat right and exercise regularly, Grocery shopping, cooking, joining a gym, learning new exercises, drinking more water, getting to bed earlier… it’s literally a billion new habits! Change slowly!!! I don't totally agree with only changing one, but there is something to be said about not making all the changes in one day. More chance of permanent change rather than 5 Weeks and you are done!

A
  • DawnEH612
    DawnEH612 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Remind yourself why u r trying to lose fat. Focus on your holistic well-being which includes mental, emotional, physical and spiritual. The exercise and healthier eating may not show on the scale but your overall health is likely improving. It can take 4-6 weeks to see changes in your body. Stick with it. Eveyone IS different in how their bodies respond to certain things. I cant see your diary, but maybe youre not eating enough.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/DawnEH612/view/dear-mfp-newbie-503740