tattoos & weightloss

Options
Just curious here... I have two tattoos and I'm a little scared they will shrink when I lose all my weight (about 85 lbs total).

I know if you have a tattoo on your stomach and become pregnant that it will distort your ink and stretch it out and it will never look the same. Is the same thing (reversed) true for weight loss?

I'm afraid my celtic knots will shrink and it will just look like squigly lines. Though both my tats are on my upper back I don't think it will distort too much, but it still worries me.

Any inked people who have lost a good chunk of weight confirm/deny this?

Replies

• GuamMom
    GuamMom Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I have multiple tattoos I have lost and no difference maybe on thighs or stomach...but mine are arms and upper back and I have had no change. Good luck!
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Just curious here... I have two tattoos and I'm a little scared they will shrink when I lose all my weight (about 85 lbs total).

I know if you have a tattoo on your stomach and become pregnant that it will distort your ink and stretch it out and it will never look the same. Is the same thing (reversed) true for weight loss?

I'm afraid my celtic knots will shrink and it will just look like squigly lines. Though both my tats are on my upper back I don't think it will distort too much, but it still worries me.

Any inked people who have lost a good chunk of weight confirm/deny this?

Well I have six tattoos and one of those is a phoenix, I hope that doesn't shrink otherwise it could end up looking like a bedraggled old sparrow! :laugh:
  • ChellieIrish
    ChellieIrish Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I have one on my shoulder blade so was curious and went looking :wink: I found this info on a Tattoo site :flowerforyou:

http://tattoo.about.com/b/2007/07/14/question-of-the-week-losing-weight-get-the-tat-now-or-later.htm

Question of the Week - Losing Weight; Get the Tat Now or Later?
    Saturday July 14, 2007
    Q: I am looking to get a tattoo on my upper back (right side) of my school mascot (Brutus the Buckeye). It's not going to be very big, I would say maybe as big as half of a normal mail envelope. I am about 6 foot 250 pounds and by the end of summer I will be down to about 200 pounds. So my questions is if I get my tattoo now and lose weight will it be all distorted? If I got a tattoo on my stomach I would think it would get all distorted but I really have no idea about my upper back.

A: Unless you plan to work out and strength train and really beef up that area, you should be fine. The weight loss by itself will do very little to your tattoo, but if you then stretch it with excessive weight training, that *could* possibly stretch and distort it a bit, depending on just where the tattoo is located in relation to the muscles and how your shoulders respond to the strength training. But, if you're not going for Mr. Universe status, I'm going to guess you'll be alright. *grin*

Fifty pounds by the end of the summer is a very dramatic and fast weight loss - not necessarily healthy for you and very traumatic to the skin. The tattoo may sag a tad until the skin has time to catch up with the weight loss. Don't be in a rush - losing the weight slowly will actually be better for you and help you keep it off in the long run.
  • theatremack
    Options
    Great thought, but my thought would be wouldn't it be GREAT if I lost all this weight, felt great and the only problem now is that I have to get a NEW tattoo to mark the occasion!!! Just a thought, but I don't think it will shrink to where you don't know what it is, especially on your back.
  • RMX82
    RMX82 Posts: 172
    Options
    I have a lot of tattoos, and personally, I'd rather be a skinny fit guy with weird ink than a fat bloated dude with nice looking tats, but thats just me, haha.
  • Aid_B
    Aid_B Posts: 427
    Options
    You could always get a cover up, a great excuse for another tattoo :o)

although mine may take a bit of ink :laugh:
  • Beebee78
    Options
    Honestly I think you would have to lose 100's of pounds for it to look much different. I first had my tattoo's done when I was 18 and weighed 100 less than I do now. I've lost 20lbs already and with the stretching and shrinking there really is no difference xxx