Credit for "other" daily exercise?

Options
I know cardio and strength training are terrific. I am new to MFP and am wondering if there is a way to track "other" daily exercise like 4 hours of heavy housework where you really work up a sweat, swimming laps, or two hours of mowing the grass with a push mower. Thanks for any help you can give me. I have only been tracking for two days, but have gained a wealth of information about what I though was "healthy" food. :happy:

Replies

• shadowkat57
    shadowkat57 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Get a heart rate monitor, and track the calories you burn while you're doing stuff!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Get a heart rate monitor, and track the calories you burn while you're doing stuff!

HRMs are designed to estimate calories burned durin steady state cardio where a percent of VO2 max is achieved. They are not accurate for lower intensities. Except for the swimming, they would likely not be accurate.

OP - all of the things you listed are in the database. However, you will find a big debate on the forums regarding logging things like cleaning and mowing the lawn (swimming is a cardio activity so I am not referring to that).
    Personally I don't. The way I see it is its not an activity you do every day, and, to an extent, should be covered in your daily activity anyway. I just consider those a little extra burn to help balance days where I may have under estimated my food or the odd day I might go over. Just my view.
  • SenseiCole
    SenseiCole Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I don't there is gardening, so I would say there is house work etc

I don't do house work :smile: that what the kids are for:smile: however I do do some:laugh:

anyone add me
  • shadowkat57
    shadowkat57 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I would think heavy housework would be a sufficiently intensive exercise to get a good result - probably moreso than something like walking. And especially 4 hours of housework, or 2 hours of yardwork.
  • JoannMichelle
    Options
    I'm new too but found: cleaning + cooking in a search in the cardiovascular section under the " exercise" tab. Also found; lawn under strength training. Like you, I work up a sweat doing all sorts of work around the house.if I had the money I'd like to hire a maid and buy a gym membership. LOL
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I know cardio and strength training are terrific. I am new to MFP and am wondering if there is a way to track "other" daily exercise like 4 hours of heavy housework where you really work up a sweat, swimming laps, or two hours of mowing the grass with a push mower. Thanks for any help you can give me. I have only been tracking for two days, but have gained a wealth of information about what I though was "healthy" food. :happy:

swimming in in the exercise database.

i agree, that if you do a lot of cleaning and gardening on a regular basis then it should be accounted for in your activity level anyway.

for me, i only do cleaning once a week (a perk of having no pets or children!) so i dont log it. if however i did a big spring clean and was super thorough moving furniture, cleaning windows etc i would probably log half of that extra as its more than my usual weekly routine.
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I'm new too but found: cleaning + cooking in a search in the cardiovascular section under the " exercise" tab. Also found; lawn under strength training. Like you, I work up a sweat doing all sorts of work around the house.if I had the money I'd like to hire a maid and buy a gym membership. LOL

Lots of the exercise you mention are listed in MFP's database. There is a more comprehensive list here
    http://caloriecount.about.com/activities-lawn-garden-ac8
    (I have gardening activities bookmarked but have a look at the "activitiy browser" http://caloriecount.about.com/exercise - it's HUGE!!)
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options

Swimming is one of my main things what I will say is MFP hugely over estimates the calories fir swimming it almost doubled them. So you need to either record the amount via a HRM or I use a swimovate. Not cheap bet worth it if you swim a lot.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Swimovate-Pool-Computer-Sports-Watch/dp/B0031IHMFY/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=2C4Z5H8SMBNL9&coliid=I2BPY9PGYFJBBY&psc=1
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Swimming is one of my main things what I will say is MFP hugely over estimates the calories fir swimming it almost doubled them. So you need to either record the amount via a HRM or I use a swimovate. Not cheap bet worth it if you swim a lot.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Swimovate-Pool-Computer-Sports-Watch/dp/B0031IHMFY/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=2C4Z5H8SMBNL9&coliid=I2BPY9PGYFJBBY&psc=1

I have no idea how accurate it might be but I only give myself credit for half of MFP's suggestion. It just seems high to me.
  • SandiAue
    SandiAue Posts: 4
    Options
    My wonderful sister just gave me the best advice. Under "exercise" put an "a" in under cardio and it brings up all the exercises listed. Computers, and my sis are so smart. Thanks for your other replys. Everything helps a little.