Early 50's looking for some peer pressure

Options
Hi, I just re-started my diet/exercise program and I'm trying to make myself accountable to as many people as I can to help keep me on track. Looking to drop 99 lbs.

Replies

• icandiane
    icandiane Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    HI mkid,

I just turned 51 & am fairly new here too, so friend me if you'd like.

I have never dieted in my life, honestly, and am choosing to look at this -not- as a "diet" but a healthier way of eating/living.

I'm looking to drop at least 50 pounds, myself.

Hang in there and best of luck to you!

Diane
  • Annmarie0426
    Options
    Hi, I'm Annmarie and am 44. Trying to get back to a healthy weight and I need motivation too, since dropping weight is much harder than it was in my 20s and 30s! Want to drop about 35-40 pounds. Feel free to add me as a friend! And good luck!
  • Linda5678
    Linda5678 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Turning 50 next month. I have been on MFP for about 5 weeks. I log food / exercise daily. Feel free to add me we need all the support we can get! :flowerforyou:
  • Disneynut
    Disneynut Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Definition of "early" 50's, I'm 56 can I count ? (should be able to as I'm an accountant). Welcome back to MFP, feel free to add me if you don't think I'm over the hill yet :happy:
  • estoneme
    estoneme Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm 71 and believe me it doesn't get any easier - so the more effort you make now in your 50's - the better off you'll be in your 70's. i was slim when young (e.g., 125-130) until I turned 50. Since then I've gained just about 10 lbs a decade! It's like granite - just doesn't want to budge!!! Good luck.
  • mkid102004
    mkid102004 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the encouragement and the add offers. I add-requested everyone that invited me to. I really want to take this seriously this time and lose most if not all before the holidays this winter. Christmas is always an annual reminder that I didn't stick to it.
  • Redptlmtd
    Redptlmtd Posts: 14
    Options
    I'm looking for those early 50's friends. I turn the big 5-0 later this year.

Please feel free to add me.
  • eileen0515
    eileen0515 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I'm 54 and have successfully lost 50 pounds so far. My weight loss journey is nearing the end, then on to maintenance! Not only can we lose weight, we can do it better than when we were younger. Our tools are wisdom, experience, common sense. We've seen the fad diets come and go. We know life has no short cuts. We know it takes patience and commitment to make good things happen.

Practical advice:

Weigh and measure everything you eat.
    Severely limit dining out, till you have a good working knowledge going, to avoid the calorie traps.
    Lean protein is your friend, it will keep you satisfied.
    Veggies are wonders of nature
    Avoid the food pushers, or learn to say no politely

I feel fantastic, like I am aging backwards.
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    For all of you women here, check out the thread 'women ages 50+. It is a very active and chatty thread. Main purpose is to just give us 'mature' women support.
  • bookworm221
    bookworm221 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hi there

I'm 44 & just starting to lose weight (again!) after a lifetime of yo yo dieting. Good luck & maybe we can motivate each other!! :) I have 84lb to lose
  • sarahcuddle
    sarahcuddle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Good luck in your new lifestyle! Anyone feel free to add me, I feel like I could do with a few new friends to inspire me and hopefully for me to inspire you :) . I have been on mfp for a year now (!'m 45 by the way) and lost about half of the weight I want to lose. It has been a slow and laborious process for me but there is no way I am going back now.

Sarah
  • trace538
    trace538 Posts: 1
    Options
    yes, lets all help each other. Im 48, 8 kids and always looking to improve. i teach zumba and that has made a huge difference in my keeping the weight off....have to love my cardio or i will NOT do it!!! :happy:
  • Hodgie12345
    Hodgie12345 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Youre fat, youre going to die soon, you will waste all your life, its up to you but move it and thrash what you can out of the last 20 or 30 years. That should be peer pressure enough. Hodgie x
  • fairfatandfabulous
    fairfatandfabulous Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    This has motivated me... Great post
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,269 Member
    Options
    I am 63 and also ageing backwards. Some days I feel 33 ! I have lost 42 lbs by eating 1700 calories and exercising for at least 1 hr every day. You can do it whatever your age.
    In the past whenever I made a big loss I put it all back on and more, much more. This time it is off for keeps, I swear.
    Today I am off to the clothes repository to give my big clothes to charity. What a great feeling!
    My only advice would be. - don't try to rush it. 1 lb a week is enough and some weeks you won't even hit that especially as you get thinner. But this is for life, not just for Christmas! :flowerforyou:
  • dan323
    dan323 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I am 52. Been here a few days. Feel free to add me if you want.
  • FiftyandGettingBetter
    FiftyandGettingBetter Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Hi, I just re-started my diet/exercise program and I'm trying to make myself accountable to as many people as I can to help keep me on track. Looking to drop 99 lbs.

Okay, mkid, becareful what you ask for brother. You might get it. FR is you want. But my accountability isn't free, I ask for a big fee, it may not seem like it at first but it may become big. I only ask for the same thing in return. Accountability is a powerful thing. I'm here for you man. Hope you have a great and healthy day!
  • fmeisele
    fmeisele Posts: 55
    Options
    I'm 53 this year, two years ago I was 297lbs at 6'2". Today I'm at 205lb. You all can do this. Just keep in mind that this is a lifetime commitment to change. This is not a diet. This is not an exercise program. This is a permanent change to your eating and activity routines. Plan accordingly. There is no 90 day program, this is the rest of your life. Most people struggle to lose the weight, finally get there and then say "YAY! I made it!" and go right back to the old habits. There's losing the weight and then there's Maintenance for the rest of your life.

You deserve to be healthy and enjoy the years you've worked so hard for so long to get to.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options

Add me.
  • angserino
    angserino Posts: 59
    Options

Hi there,

I am 47 and have been at this faithfully almost 6 months now. It takes work and dedication but it CAN be done. I am living proof of it!
    You may add me if you want BUT only if you are serious. I will offer you as much support and help as I can. My MFP friends have been such a great support for me. Most of us are here for the same reason.

You can do this!!