Detox and 5:2 progress after 4 months

Options
mikemckinlay
mikemckinlay Posts: 22 Member
I wanted to take the opportunity to share my success on this board since I have gone above and beyond my initial goals.

I started off at the beginning of the year at 185lbs, feeling very bloated, tired, exhausted. My trousers for work were size 36 but it was a struggle to get into them. In fact I could not fit into about 75% of my wardrobe – it was quite depressing and I had pretty much resigned myself to a life of being overweight. I was inspired by a work colleague who started the 5:2 diet 16 weeks before Christmas. Initially I poo pooed the idea as being another fad diet – that was until I saw him dramatically shrink.

So I kicked off the year with the 30 day Jane Scrivner detox which I do every year. The idea of this was to give myself and general clean up after the overindulgence at Christmas – at the end of it I felt amazing with so much energy. I generally do this every year and lose about half a stone and my trousers feel a bit looser but as soon as I go back onto a normal diet the weight gets piled on.

This time I broke with tradition and I completed the detox and started the 5:2 having 2 x 600 calorie fast days a week and eating normally the rest of the time. I devised a way to split the calories over the day to avoid grumpiness.

4 months later and I am delighted with the results. I have lost over 28lbs and have “overtaken” my wardrobe and now the majority of clothes don’t fit because they are too baggy. I am now into size 31 jeans, size small T shirts and feel so much better. In addition I have renewed interest in clothes shopping which is so much more fun when you are the size you want to be.

My next aim is to tone up. Unfortunately I have been put on a ban on lifting weights due to a shoulder injury however as soon as that is fixed I intend to start lifting again and upping my protein. Until then I am working on legs, lower back, abs. I have a sun holiday booked for August and ideally I would love to be able to get my kit off to sunbathe without that awful feeling of embarrassment I used to experience. My body is nowhere near beach ready and is still a bit flabby in places so it would be great to lose that.

The best thing about the 5:2 is that I find it sustainable. Having to watch my calories every single day for the rest of my life just to keep the weight off is far too much of a depressing thought. I want to be able to go out for dinner with friends and not feel guilty when I don’t order a salad. I want to be able to enjoy pizza and beer without guilt. This eating regime enables me to maintain my weight loss and still enjoy myself. I tend to have my two (non-consecutive) fast days during the week, eat up to my TDEE for the remainder of the week and then let myself go wild at the weekends.

I realise that there are lots of differing opinions about the 5:2. I know that when I started out I was looking for success stories particularly from men to try to get some sort of idea as to what results I can expect and how long it will take before I can see them. I hope that this article will help give an indication of what you can achieve.

PS. I’m having a car boot sale in Brighton this weekend if anyone wants to have a rummage through my fat clothes!! :happy:

Replies

• janetteluparia
    janetteluparia Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I love it! congratulations. I have been doing 5:2 for about 5 weeks. I have lost a few pounds and inches but more than that! I feel awesome on it and it's sustainable. Isnt that what it is all about!! Kudos!!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    bump - wanna see who else has had success :)
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Your diary is closed so I was wondering if you could describe what the 600 cal menu looked like for the day, please and thanks :flowerforyou: Did you always do the 2 days back to back?
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    Good on you and congrats. I would be one HANGRY person on those 600 calorie days.
  • mikemckinlay
    Options
    Your diary is closed so I was wondering if you could describe what the 600 cal menu looked like for the day, please and thanks :flowerforyou: Did you always do the 2 days back to back?

Sorry - will attempt to open up my diary. In the meantime I generally have the following:

Benecol dairy free yoghurt drink when I wake up with a herbal tea
    Then black coffee when I get to work (which curtails my hunger)
    About 11.30: Activia snackpot with 100g strawberries
    Lunch: low calorie packet soup and a couple of rice crackers
    Mid afternoon 100g carrot batons
    Evening meal: 2 Quorn fillets with steamed vegetables

That makes around the 600 calorie mark.

Also I always split the fast days but that can change weekly depending on my diary. I think that the object of it is that the spikes in calories prevents your metabolism from going too low.
  • mikemckinlay
    Options
    Good on you and congrats. I would be one HANGRY person on those 600 calorie days.

Thanks - you do indeed get hungry on fast days but I have learnt to deal with it. Black coffee and keeping busy really takes the edge off. I still have good and bad days. Sometimes I barely notice that I am on a fast day and other days I feel like crap and deprived. It helps to say to myself that I can eat whatever I want the next day and that keeps me going.

Also quite early on in this process one of my (very fit) friends said to me "think of hunger as your friend" - it made me laugh at the time but he had a point as when I am hungry I am losing weight :laugh:
  • x3na1401
    x3na1401 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Hi.
    You're doing really well.

I started fasting at the end of January. I did 4:3 but as i got closer to my goal, ate more than 500 cals on a down day.
    I lost a stone pretty quickly and aside from normal daily fluctuations, there is no sign of it going back on.

This way of life has made me interested in food again. I love cooking but over Christmas we had been eating a lot of processed foods like pizza, Chinese takeout, going for meals, lots of puddings. Now my diary is like war and peace!!

A lot of people on 5:2 just buy a ready meal and have done with it,... Not me ! I ram in every last calorie from lots of different sources. After all variety is the spice of life.

I'm at the weight I have always wanted to be and do not want to lose anymore so it's a case of trial and error to find my maintenance cals. What's great about this diet is that you don't have to buy anything. And if you fall off the wagon one day, no guilt, just start again tomorrow.

I know some people will slam this as a low calorie diet, but it worked for me and I feel better than ever.

Except when I sit down, my boney butt hurts without all that padding ;)
  • Andyblood
    Andyblood Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have been doing the 5:2 diet for 3 weeks now and its so easy.I do Monday and Thursday. I feel so much better after a fast day and I don't know about anyone else but have more energy.

This is not a fad diet its a way of life and there are so many other health benefits from it. If people are worried they could not survive on 500 (women) 600 (men) calories a day then just give it a go you may surprise yourself, and its only for 2 days a week.
  • johnb1959
    johnb1959 Posts: 1
    Options
    Well done all. I agree with Andy above. The 5:2 diet becomes a way of life and is so easy, especially when done with family and friends. My wife and I started at the end of January this year and so far I have lost 40lbs and my other half has lost 20lb, granted I had more to lose :) We do a fast day on Tues & Thurs, and after the first week have had no problems.
  • TeresaB1979
    TeresaB1979 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Good stuff. 5:2 is the only 'diet' I have ever enjoyed. I love it for the same reasons you mention- the thought of always being 'good' and having to watch every calorie is depressing. I also do 6:2 some weeks and intend to do 6:2 for maintenance when I lose one stone. :-)
  • zanielleleigh
    zanielleleigh Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    So motivational!!! Well done you!
    I am really enjoying the 5:2 lifestyle and see no reason why it cannot continue for life, once I hit target it will be a Monday Fast.... just to keep me on track! Your story has really lifted me up this morning (as I am fasting today) and with that clear goal in mind I go into today with a big smile on my face!
    Keep posting!

Zan x
  • Andyblood
    Andyblood Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    The other good thing about this way of life is that when you have reached your goal you can go down to 1 day a week and if you put a little on then go back to 2 days for a couple of weeks.

I am on a fast today and feel great. Going to have a some light food about 12:30 then some more about 19:00 and then nothing till tomorrow morning.
  • mikemckinlay
    Options
    Except when I sit down, my boney butt hurts without all that padding ;)

Actually I am finding that a problem too so I am glad I am not the only one! :embarassed:

I am also finding that I am a lot colder that I was (although that could be down to the crap british weather). However who wouldn't trade a sore bottom and minor chill for that degree of weight loss :smile:
  • mikemckinlay
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your responses - great to hear everyone's stories :smile:
  • Hodgie12345
    Hodgie12345 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    The whole point of the fast day is that you eat once and once only - take all the cals at that single time, otherwise you dont get the benefits because all you are doing is cutting down cals. The point is that the body has to sustain outside the eating point on a fast day. I lost four stones on it last year. Google Horizon: Alternate Day Fasting. Hodgie x
  • FerryfieldLad
    FerryfieldLad Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this post

Hodgie - having read the book and watched the Dr Mosley show I have to disagree. You DO NOT have to have the 600cals at once. You can do what you like with the 600cals.

*Edited for spelling*
  • Hodgie12345
    Hodgie12345 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Pr3sario - you read it incorrectly then, or dont understand it at least. But whatever works for you chap. Hodgie x
  • perrinjoshua
    perrinjoshua Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Hello and thank you for your post. I started the 5:2 diet about one month ago and have lost weight, feel great and finally feel I have some control. Keep up the good work and inspiration.
  • Myfitself101
    Myfitself101 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Awesome. I have been interested in this for a while so it is great to hear about such a good success.

When I was on WW and it was working I was basically eating what I wanted for 6 days and then fasting on 'weigh in' days to make sure I lost on the scales!!

At the moment I am counting calories but you have just inspired me to try 5:2 to shake things up a bit!
  • Alpha12
    Alpha12 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I have never heard of 5:2, and you all got me interested to look into it a bit more and perhaps try it. From these posts, it looks like something I can do. Thanks for the info!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!