Kettle Bells - whats the burn?

Options
JennaM222
JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
Hello!

I am wondering how I can enter in my cardio kettle bell class - it is 45 mins - 3 repetitive 15 min cycles. anyone have any idea how many calories roughly this would burn?

Replies

• Ryhenblue
    Ryhenblue Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I'd like to know as well. I bought a 10lb bell and love it. I have just been messing around on it though. I'm going to start using it regularly in August. I have a HRM but not sure if it's accurate because it's not all cardio.
  • karensfitnesspal
    Options
    Hello!

I am wondering how I can enter in my cardio kettle bell class - it is 45 mins - 3 repetitive 15 min cycles. anyone have any idea how many calories roughly this would burn?

I am a certified Kettlebell instructor..and I have my client were their HR monitors during our classes. If you give me an idea of your height, weight, and what you did for your 15 min cycles - I can give you an idea.

It also depends on the weight of your kettlebell.
    Karen
  • sweetn3ss
    sweetn3ss Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    You should be able to enter it under circuit training.
    @Ryhen- MFPs numbers are usually in the higher side. I would use the numbers from your HRM just to be safe,
  • karensfitnesspal
    Options
    I'd like to know as well. I bought a 10lb bell and love it. I have just been messing around on it though. I'm going to start useing it regularly in August. I have a HRM but not sure if it's accurate because it's not all cardio.

My recommendation would be to find a certified instructor near you....everyone is jumping to get a small Kettlebell with all the hype on the Biggest Loser. However the trainers on the Biggest Loser do not know what they are doing. Try going to www.dragondoor.com and looking for an RKC in your area. Kettlebells are super efficient and you can get amazing results really quickly if using them with proper form and technique.
    All you have to do on the site is go under instructors and enter your zip code.

Karen - RKC II in Virginia
  • Gerkenstein
    Gerkenstein Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I enter my KB workouts as Calisthenics, light or vigorous depending on my form, effort and how much my shirt is sweat through! LOL Sometimes I think the vigorous setting gives me way too many calories so I opt for the light to make sure I don't eat too much (yes, I know eating too little is also a concern). Hopefully I'll have an HRM soon so I can track my burns more accurately. Good luck!

BTW, here's a link to a KB July challenge if you want to join in! We love new people!
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/104123-6-week-kettlebell-challenge-7-1-10-to-8-12-10?hl=kettlebell+challenge
  • Ryhenblue
    Options
    I'd like to know as well. I bought a 10lb bell and love it. I have just been messing around on it though. I'm going to start useing it regularly in August. I have a HRM but not sure if it's accurate because it's not all cardio.

My recommendation would be to find a certified instructor near you....everyone is jumping to get a small Kettlebell with all the hype on the Biggest Loser. However the trainers on the Biggest Loser do not know what they are doing. Try going to www.dragondoor.com and looking for an RKC in your area. Kettlebells are super efficient and you can get amazing results really quickly if using them with proper form and technique.

I went on that site the other day lol. I was looking for DVD's to do at home. I don't watch the biggest loser so I wasn't aware that they were using them. I was actually looking for a heavier weight and saw it on the shelf. I'm moving to MN Aug 1st so that's why I haven't started a routine yet.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Often HRMs will overestimate caloric burn for kettle bell workouts that emphasize arm work. I saw a recent study that looked at the VO2 for continuous kettle bell swings--I can't remember how many minutes, but I do remember it was like 5 times longer than I would have expected anyone to do --in the 12-20 minute range.

While HR averaged 85%-90% of HR max, oxygen uptake (VO2) was in the low 60s. Normally at that heart rate you would expect VO2 to be 75% to 85% of VO2 max. Since calories expended are directly related to VO2 and HRMs estimate VO2 based on the typical relationship between HR and VO2, calories from an HRM would be overestimated for this type of workout.

Doesn't take anything away from the quality or the effectiveness of the exercise for conditioning in general.
  • Ryhenblue
    Options
    I enter my KB workouts as Calisthenics, light or vigorous depending on my form, effort and how much my shirt is sweat through! LOL Sometimes I think the vigorous setting gives me way too many calories so I opt for the light to make sure I don't eat too much (yes, I know eating too little is also a concern). Hopefully I'll have an HRM soon so I can track my burns more accurately. Good luck!

BTW, here's a link to a KB July challenge if you want to join in! We love new people!
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/104123-6-week-kettlebell-challenge-7-1-10-to-8-12-10?hl=kettlebell+challenge

I was waiting til I actually used it. I'll sign up though for the last 10 days.
  • karensfitnesspal
    Options

I went on that site the other day lol. I was looking for DVD's to do at home. I don't watch the biggest loser so I wasn't aware that they were using them. I was actually looking for a heavier weight and saw it on the shelf. I'm moving to MN Aug 1st so that's why I haven't started a routine yet.

If you are moving to MN...Look up Brad Nelson (Senior RKC). He has a gym there and is a great instructor. I just returned from MN, I was assistant instructor at the RKC II Certification course.

If he isn't near you - You could look up Fawn Friday (RKC II), Andrea du Cane (Master RKC). Lots to choose from in MN.

Best of luck with your move.

Karen
  • Ryhenblue
    Options

If you are moving to MN...Look up Brad Nelson (Senior RKC). He has a gym there and is a great instructor. I just returned from MN, I was assistant instructor at the RKC II Certification course.

If he isn't near you - You could look up Fawn Friday (RKC II), Andrea du Cane (Master RKC). Lots to choose from in MN.

Best of luck with your move.

Karen

Thank you I'll do that. Sorry to the OP for hijacking the thread.