Feels like my throat closes up when i run

Options
I have been running and doing other cardio exercises and within 5 min I find it hard to breathe and if I keep going it feels like my throat is closing up and I cant breathe and it freaks me out! I have never had asthma nor have I had this issue before. I am fairly fit but I am out of shape. I have heard of exercise induced asthma.....has anyone else had this problem? I get panicky when I cant breathe......

April

Replies

• worknitout
    Options
    I had the same problem. My doctor gave me an inhaler to use before i workout so that this same problem doesnt happen during the workout. There were many times i would forget before and use it during. It has become easier to workout now through progress and i find myself not having to use the inhaler as much. Good luck!:smile:
  • venus18
    venus18 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the comment!
  • SammyKatt
    SammyKatt Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I have been running and doing other cardio exercises and within 5 min I find it hard to breathe and if I keep going it feels like my throat is closing up and I cant breathe and it freaks me out! I have never had asthma nor have I had this issue before. I am fairly fit but I am out of shape. I have heard of exercise induced asthma.....has anyone else had this problem? I get panicky when I cant breathe......

April

I have that same problem! I've had it since I was in 7th grade. I used to have an inhaler and that worked wonders for me. Now I just dont feel like going to the doctors to get a new one (switched doctors so many times lately, so its not worth it yet). I normally workout with my BF so when he notices my breathing changes he talks me thru it and gets it back to normal. I would get an inhaler tho. It helps sooo much!
  • jjlanich
    Options
    Check with your Dr. There is such a thing as "exercise enduced asthma".....weird, but true! (I have it)
  • venus18
    venus18 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • j_courter
    j_courter Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    i have a friend that actually has an allergy to exercising... seriously. i'd recommend talking to your doctor. i have had exercise induced asthma and it feels different... more in my lungs than in my throat. what you're describing sounds just like her anaphylactic reaction to exercise.
  • Frannybobs
    Frannybobs Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    When I was a teenager I used to play football (soccer) and I had that, I'd cough a lot, and it was exercise induced. I grew out of it, or I thought I had, but last year I took up cycling again. My commute to/from work is about 6 miles and on the way back there are 2 killer hills. At the top of the first I was really struggling to breath, throat felt it was closed up and I was gasping for air. At first I put it down to being unfit, but after months the same was happening. I went back to the doctors and she gave me an inhaler to take about 20-30 mins before exercise and since then it's much better. I still get out of breath on that hill, but the difference is that I can catch my breath, if that makes sense, my throat isn't tight. I hope that helps :)
  • treisch
    treisch Posts: 13
    Options
    I had the same problem... it never occurred with light exercise (elliptical, stair stepping, incline walks) but rather only happened with running, sprints, and high intensity exercise. The doctor told me we have slow twitch and fast twitch muscles when we exercise, and we use fast twitch muscles for sprints and high intensity exercise. (My problem with my airway was only with fast twitch muscles). He gave me a ventolin inhaler to use 30 minutes before exercising and I haven't had a problem since. It has gotten better as well as I have gotten more in shape so that's a plus!
  • treisch
    treisch Posts: 13
    Options
    There is no such thing as anaphylaxis to exercise. That is called OUT OF SHAPE!! An anaphylactic reaction is a life or death situation requiring immediate medical attention. Please don't tell this lady she is dying from exercising.... quite the opposite is true!
  • Dunkirk
    Dunkirk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    See if dropping your jaw helps. Compare taking a deep breath with your jaw dropped, and taking one without dropping your jaw. There is a difference. Useful strategy for panic attacks as well.
  • mom2lyla
    mom2lyla Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Google "paradoxical vocal fold dysfunction." Pursed-lip breathing can help you get some more oxygen, as can "sniffing" sharply through your nose. Obviously can't dx you over the internet, but an inhaler is not always the answer as it is a bronchodilator and won't do you a lick of good if the problem is at the level of your vocal folds.
  • j_courter
    j_courter Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as anaphylaxis to exercise. That is called OUT OF SHAPE!! An anaphylactic reaction is a life or death situation requiring immediate medical attention. Please don't tell this lady she is dying from exercising.... quite the opposite is true!

I hate to tell you this, but there is such a thing. http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/886641-overview