Trying to get pregnant...now what?

Options
zsaoosh
zsaoosh Posts: 402 Member
Right now I have 10 lbs I am wanting to lose. I am eating 1200 cals a day and running 3 times a week (I am a busy mom that works full time so that is all I can do at the moment). I don’t feel deprived and I do treat myself about once a week going higher on my cal intake. This is my question....I am trying to get pregnant and want to get and stay healthy while pregnant. What works outs are safe in what trimester and how many cals are healthy without gaining an unhealthy amount of fat while pregnant? I know I will need to talk to my doctor but I wanted to get your thoughts for an idea. Thank you!

Replies

• zsaoosh
    Options
    Anyone?
  • kdsp2911
    kdsp2911 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Eat lots of fruits, veggies, whole grains, and lean meats. You will absolutely have to increase your caloric intake, every trimester gets harder on your body and you have to take in more. Def talk with your doctor. Jogging is generally pretty safe, and walk walk walk, not just for the weight issue but it is a HUGE benefit during labor and delivery if you are in good shape and have good endurance. Hope this helps a little.
  • lowerh22
    lowerh22 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    swimming, yoga, prenatal pilates, walking
  • JaneDough_
    JaneDough_ Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Walking through the whole pregnancy is beneficial. Also, I believe an increase of 300 calories is necessary for a healthy pregnancy.
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Lots to say, but I'll make it quick. A 1200 cal limit for an active, busy Mom seems a bit low, so please checkout the forums about that. That's another whole topic that is discussed a lot.

See your doctor & let him/her know you are trying to get pregnant. He/she may want to start you out on Prenatal vitamins now. As far as calories and exercise goes, you'll need to check it out with your doctor, but generally speaking, if you are already healthy & exercising, you should continue to do so throughout your pregnancy. For example, if you are a runner, you'll likely be able to conitinue. Now, if you go into preterm labor, develop gestational diabetes, etc, then of course, things could change.

Good luck!
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    Let me give it a shot.
  • MFPRat
    MFPRat Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    It's hard to say. Each woman's pregnancy is so different. I've known someone that did kick boxing classes up to her third trimester, another that did spinning almost throughout and one that had to stop all exercise in the first.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Rule of thumb is you can continue to do exercises you were doing before pregnant, within reason. After the first tri try not to do exercises that require you to be on your back.
    As for cals, I've seen different guidelines on reputable sites. Some say maintenance in first tri and add 300 per day thereafter. Some say to add 300 right away. You definitely don't want to be in a deficit.
    Try not to be hard on yourself. I had every intention of exercising and eating a reasonable amount but you can't predict these things. I was horribly nauseous if I didn't eat all the time (veggies and fruit snacks didn't cut it for me) and my OB nixed exercise due to complications. So I gained 60lbs but the good news is 12 weeks later I'm down 35 lbs and losing steadily.

Ps even though I wasn't allowed to exercise during the pregnancy, I think the fact that I was active and in shape beforehand really helped - I only had to push 3 times!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    They generally say that you can continue to do what you are already conditioned to do exercise wise. Again, like you said, that's after consulting a doctor.

You should at least be eating at maintenance. Later in the pregnancy it is suggested you eat more.

1200 calories and running 3 x a week is low. You may want to re-evaluate your goals, eating too little can have negative impact on you.
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Just adopt a baby from some poor country like a celebrity would.
  • servilia
    Options
    Sheesh you guys sure are supportive ^^
  • MirandaDeCrane
    MirandaDeCrane Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I just gave birth to baby #4 :) I lost 60 lbs using MFP beforehand, and wish I would have had the self control to eat like I knew I needed to. My doctor suggested eating 300-500 calories more while pregnant. I knew this was the last baby for me, so I kind of splurged and went wild. I had a lot of morning sickness in the beginning (until 16 weeks) and I basically just ate whatever I could keep down. Afterwards, I ate because I could :/

Now-I'm 3 months postpartum and breastfeeding. I try to eat cleaner, while still consuming enough calories to breastfeed. I started logging during Easter week, and i'm already down 11 lbs :) It has seemed to come off a little easier this time around. I kept exercising until the sickness hit me, then just tried to do something active daily (walking, swimming, etc) You could also see if your OB can refer you to a nutritionist for what your specific body needs...HTH!
  • iecreamheadaches
    iecreamheadaches Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    i was always told to do yoga while i was pregnant, and walking. Lots and lots of walking.....someone told me it makes labor easier. I'd like to call them a liar, i dont think anything makes labor and child birth easier, except that lovely epidural until it wears off.

But eat healthy stuff, ya know fruits veggies, lean proteins, and just make sure you're getting enough calories for you and that baby (:
  • jrobinson143
    jrobinson143 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I gained about 25lbs from my first baby and over 40lbs with the second... so here is my advice. I was WAY happier the first time, you will already be emotional and the extra pounds will be upsetting (especially if you are already concerned).
    My gyno told me pregnant women only need an extra 300 calories a day (works out to another snack a day). Don't listen to people who say you are "eating for two", it's just not scientifically accurate.
    Stick to what people have already suggested, working out light and eating real food. I gained very little weight (1-3lbs.) my first trimester the first time around and i think thats what helped me to stay in check. The second time around I gained at least 10! It was only up from there... i feld huge and very sluggish!!
    Its all off now but keep in mind it took a year to put it on so give yourself a year to take it off. Its hard but I remembered this and it has helped me this go around.
  • zsaoosh
    Options
    Thank you everyone! Well most everyone lol As for the 1200 cals a day. I took a bod pod test and that is actually what the Nutritionist said my body could handle but most need around 1500. She is right, I dont feel hungry or deprived but thanks for the concern. I did hear that the first trimester you dont need to add cals but to add a little more the second and the third to make sure you have at least 300 more. I plan on being active and getting healthy but I was very VERY sick with my first baby and could only hold down salad for the first 4 months. I just really dont want to gain unneeded fat. I LOVE to eat LOL so I got to watch myself :tongue:
  • LibertyBelle89
    Options
    walking & yoga maybe? i would think running or HIIT or anything like that would be too intense when your pregnant..
  • zsaoosh
    Options
    I just cant emagine running with that baby bouncing everywhere....
  • servilia
    Options
    When. It comes to cals keep in mind that when you're adding cals you add them to your MAINTENANCE cals, not to your 1200 allowance that you have now.. When you get pregnant you shouldn't be eating only 1500.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I thought this was going to be about something different.......I don't have much to add now.....good luck. My wife walked up until the day before she gave birth.