Buying a no-no food

Options
robstot
robstot Posts: 36 Member
I think I hit a milestone today. Two months ago I gave up potato chips, and have been 99% successful. I bought some tonight though, my cravings were out of this world. I opened the bag and...had one chip and thought this sucks. the salt burned my mouth and I hated it. I think I hit a milestone and no need to look back.

Has anyone else experienced this with a food they gave up? Done the impulse but found thet the food/junk no longer is what you want?

Just curious

Replies

• sakitchens
    sakitchens Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have had the same thing happen to me with ice cream. I ate ice cream all the time. I was seriously addicted to it. I have only tried it one time in 75 days and I only ate a little then decided it was yucky and through it away. It was kind of a relief. I am glad I do not have a craving for it any more.
  • hesse_v
    hesse_v Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I definatly know what you are talking about! I gave up all soda for lent one year, and now, three years later, they just don't hold the same appeal that they used too!
  • dfwtxmissy
    dfwtxmissy Posts: 102
    Options
    Onion rings....Pizza!
  • valerie58
    valerie58 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I had a pork chop, I could taste all of the grease and I felt awful after.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    Yes I gave up soda and french fries for quite some time and then when I had them again they just werent enjoyable. The soda tasted too sugary and the french fries left a greasy film on the top of my mouth YUCK
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Everything! I find it all tastes too sweet . . . or too greasy now. I've stopped trying and opt for some strawberries, air-popped popcorn, or something similar instead when I have a "munchie". I tried a burger a bunch of months ago and I had to brush my teeth and the inside of my mouth because all I could feel was the grease slick . . . yeuch!
    Other restaurant food, or "bad" things hold no appeal at all either as we like to cook and now prepare food with lots of different herbs and spices and everything else just tastes greasty, salty, and bland now in comparison.
    I have spoiled myself . . . ha ha . . . but in a good way for a change!
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    This actually happens a lot with all sorts of addictions, not just food. my wife worked at a gambling addiction agency and it was almost planned for the participants to relapse. Usually the participants stated that it didn't feel the same or it didn't hold the same power as before. Now that you all have "relapsed", you now know what you are missing and you won't regret it.

I also did the same thing with pop as I gave it up for water 5 years ago. I will still drink it if it is given to me or my wife doesn't finish hers, but that is it.
  • robstot
    robstot Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Well I am glad I am not the only one who has experienced this.

thanks
  • spike1380
    spike1380 Posts: 82
    Options
    Cigarettes. I've never given any particular food up for good but I go bout 4 or 5 months without wanting a cigarette. Then I spend about a month craving one before I give in. Generally I finish about 1/4 of a cigarette before my brain kicks in and tells me it's totally gross and I don't want to do it any more.
  • Cathy_5011
    Cathy_5011 Posts: 78
    Options
    I experienced that when I switched from regular coke to diet. Now regular makes me sick. Now my new goal is cutting out soda completely. It has been really hard. I get such bad caffeine headaches.
  • jeweljade
    jeweljade Posts: 93
    Options
    skittles! I use to love them, but it only took 3 weeks without them and when I put several in my mouth at the same time, it was so sweet it was like it burned my mouth.
  • rmeenen
    rmeenen Posts: 23
    Options
    I experienced that when I switched from regular coke to diet. Now regular makes me sick. Now my new goal is cutting out soda completely. It has been really hard. I get such bad caffeine headaches.

I used to be the same way! Switched from regular pop to coke zero and I didn't drink any caffeine for 2 days and it killed me and I totally crashed at the end of the second day but now I just have my coffee in the morning and water in the afternoon instead of teh usualy pop....I feel a lot better during the day and cuts out all the extra caffeine and calories/sugar in regular pop.
  • ltlemermaid
    ltlemermaid Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I'm like that with soda--don't want it anymore (will have some diet with malibu on rare occasion). Regular potato chips too--I don't want them anymore, but I do like the baked variety. I also find a lot of foods overly salty or sweet now that I cook/eat more from home.
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I think I hit a milestone today. Two months ago I gave up potato chips, and have been 99% successful. I bought some tonight though, my cravings were out of this world. I opened the bag and...had one chip and thought this sucks. the salt burned my mouth and I hated it. I think I hit a milestone and no need to look back.

Has anyone else experienced this with a food they gave up? Done the impulse but found thet the food/junk no longer is what you want?

Just curious

I find that if I have a bag of crisps after being on a weight loss eating plan for several weeks, the crisps taste very greasy and not nice at all! That's good though, it means no more cravings for crisps :laugh:

You found that with chips then, it's good news though eh, as you said, there is now no need to look back. :drinker:
  • crazyjkgirl
    crazyjkgirl Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I completely see this in my life. Potato chips and french fries are too salty I can barely eat them. McDonalds smells revolting and like grease when I drive buy. I bought a McGriddle sandwich the others week and it tasted awful and processed and I used to LOOVE them.

Now if I only could begin to use this approach towards sugar and chocolate!
  • SuzMcH
    SuzMcH Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Honestly.....nope. I've given up and not eaten a lot of things since I started my journey in February. And even now everyone of them, chocolate, chips, fries, beer, I could go on and on. Anyway they all taste amazing.

I don't want to eat them all the time anymore. Or in the quantities that I used to. but a little bite now and again. Oh yum.
  • SuzMcH
    SuzMcH Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    ooops posted twice !
  • VolatileChocolate
    Options
    Full Fat hard Cheese. Converted to the low fat option and took a while to get used to it as loved melted cheese on toast and would add cheese to near enough everthing I cooked.

Not had full fat cheese since Nov 2009 and 2 months ago brought it as it was BOGOF at supermarket but the low fat of the same brand wasn't on special offer. BIG BIG mistake, had craving for cheese on toast and when put it on plate it looked as if some one had dumped a big dollop of butter on top of the cheese and it had melted, it looked gross and tasted horrible.
    Later in week did an omlette with it on and had to throw it away as just turned my stomach.

Never again will I buy full fat cheese. Now I want the same to happen with Chocolate lol.

xUna
  • etarre
    etarre Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    skittles! I use to love them, but it only took 3 weeks without them and when I put several in my mouth at the same time, it was so sweet it was like it burned my mouth.

Yes! Same for me. I used to love Skittles, and eat full bags, but now even a fun-size bag is just too much sugar. And the phrase "too much sugar" never used to be part of my vocabulary. :smile:

I don't think I'll ever get over loving and craving chocolate, but I've started eating just a couple of squares of very good chocolate every day, and then the junky cheap stuff in the vending machines at work is just so bad in comparison that I don't crave it.