Am I eating too little?

Options
Lately I started suspecting that the reason why I lose weight very slowly might be related to me eating too LITTLE food. This is very counter intuitive to me, but some things I read here and there made me suspect that.
I am very careful to never go below 1200 a day. Usually I eat a minimum of 1250 and a max of 1350. And I spread them out a lot during the day, so as to keep my metabolism going. But this is the TOTAL amount I eat, not the net calories.
Can somebody give me some good tips. I'd be happy to add you and show you my diary if you want.
I also may be doing the wrong kind of work-out. I really don't know :(
I need a bit of help.

Also: should I eat more calories when I am on my period?

Replies

• kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Usually if you are finding yourself asking if you're eating too little, you are.

1200 is a generic number, and it doesn't work for most. Check out the 'In Place of a Road Map' thread, and go from there.

At the very least, change your activity level (no one is truly sedentary unless you are bed-ridden), and bump your pounds-per-week goal to 1 at the most. Eat 'em all! Aim to net more than 1200!
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    We would need more information about you to offer any kind of decent advice. Height, age, weight, exercise level...

Here is a thread I wrote about upping my sister's from 1200-1600

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975646-another-eat-more-to-weigh-less-win
  • basilbunches
    Options
    just to address the second part of your post, should you eat more when you're on your period - it's not necessary. however, if you find yourself fatigued or run down during menstruation, then you may be needing to eat more iron, and it isn't harmful to just eat a little more in general to help improve your energy.
    you do not burn more calories, or anything like that though, but i would recommend focussing on iron-rich foods if you find it tires you.
  • Claudiatrim
    Options
    Right! I didn't provide any details.
    I am 27. I am 5'4'' and 130 lb. I used to be considerably skinnier and now I don't feel comfortable with my weight.
    I go to the gym around 5 days a week. Usually I go 2 days in a row and then I take a day off. There I do 20 minutes of elliptical training as a warm up. Around 45 minutes of various weight training and abs (but not with very heavy stuff). And then 10 minutes of fast biking to finish.
    I work from home mostly, but I live in a small town, so at least I get to use my bike for transportation whenever I have to go somewhere (instead of a car).

Thanks for the replies :)
  • lisabundy5
    lisabundy5 Posts: 39
    Options
    You need to eat your exercise calories back. If you don't your body is going to store what it's already consumed which will stunt the weight loss or actually make you gain. Healthy carbs and fats, lean proteins to gain muscle to burn even more. And like the one said, if you are questioning if you are eating too little, you probably are. The body needs a certain amount to function correctly without exercise and when you add it in, you need even more.

Good Luck.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    In my opinion you are eating way too little.

Either 1400 and EAT back your exercise
    or
    1800 and do NOT eat your exercise back

I'm not an expert so get some other opinions but if you are eating 1350 and working out that often you are netting about 1000 calories a day. Too low.