Running...

Options
Ok so I have taken to doing a quick half an hour run/walk session at 6am in my local park, it's not so much for the exercise but also to wake me up and get air in my lungs.

What I have discovered is just how hard it is to run outside, I feel tired jogging for 2mins!!

Any tips? Doe's it get easier fairly quickly?

I am asthmatic so I don't push too hard but I wanna get to a better level of fitness.

Replies

• Ash_Diya
    Ash_Diya Posts: 36
    Options
    check out couchto5k. It easies you in to running.
  • emblu
    emblu Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    i'm asthmatic and have been running years, you will improve and it will get easier so please don't quit. check out runnersworld they have shed loads of advice for beginners and training plans. but please don't quit, running has been one of the greatest things i've taken up and it makes me feel fantastic, even on the days where i'm huffing and puffing xx
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    i'm asthmatic and have been running years, you will improve and it will get easier so please don't quit. check out runnersworld they have shed loads of advice for beginners and training plans. but please don't quit, running has been one of the greatest things i've taken up and it makes me feel fantastic, even on the days where i'm huffing and puffing xx

Ditto this. I was also a asthmatic. Running has improved my cardiovascular and breathing overall.

Running outside is a lot harder than running on a treadmill, but it's a lot more entertaining! Just slow yourself down and try going for longer at a slower pace, rather than faster for a shorter distance. And don't be ashamed to walk either. Intervals can be really helpful. Just keep at it!

“Run when you can, walk if you have to, crawl if you must; just never give up.” - Dean Karnazes, ultramarathon runner
  • dfonte
    dfonte Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    “Run when you can, walk if you have to, crawl if you must; just never give up.” - Dean Karnazes, ultramarathon runner

I agree with this. Set a distance or time goal and meet it regardless of your speed. It seems like it's half an hour in your case - so go out for 30 minutes and go as fast as you can. Just do as much as your capable of in those 30 minutes but don't stop moving.
  • lhogan50
    lhogan50 Posts: 22
    Options
    c25k is a great way to build endurance.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Run slower.
  • justjayce
    justjayce Posts: 11
    Options
    Couch 2 5K is the absolute best thing EVER! I used to hate running, but now I couldn't live without it!
  • KayLgee
    KayLgee Posts: 139
    Options
    Thanks guys, I really don't wanna give up I love it but just wish I could go further. Persistence is key I guess.
  • KayLgee
    KayLgee Posts: 139
    Options
    While i'm here can I just ask.. I have cross training trainers which are very flexible, are these ok for running or not enough support?
  • cynthiatwayne
    Options
    C25K for sure

And the most critical "piece" of equipment you'll need is shoes. What I did when I first started is use the old shoes I had at home and then once I realized "hey I really want to keep doing this" i went and got fit for shoes at a specialty running store. AND only use those shoes to run (no trips to the mall etc). Its well worth it to have the best shoes for your feet/running style (not necessarily the most expensive....that's why a good fit from a reputable store is key).

Running is the best gift I ever gave myself...I hope you find the same joy its given me.

Cyndi
  • Garthamatic
    Garthamatic Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    While i'm here can I just ask.. I have cross training trainers which are very flexible, are these ok for running or not enough support?

If it were me, I'd go to a running store and get your stride assessed (pronation, form, etc.) and have them recommend a set of running shoes that fit you.

Good shoes makes running more fun, less painful, and isn't a huge investment. It's a lot easier to stick with the program when you're not injured or hurting.
  • alska
    alska Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    i live in an apt on the 3rd floor .. n have to walk up all the stairs .. i always get out of breath ... sadly lol Well today I went to the park n did what you did ran/jogged n walked for the first time since i was a teenager!! well i mean I walk alot but never run/jog ... well today when I walked up the steps to my apt afterwards ... i didn't get out of breath!! so it must get easier n pretty quickly!! i can't wait to do it again :D