Nervous about free weights

Options
Hi everyone- so I've been going to the gym 3-4 times per week for four months now, doing both cardio (elliptical, upright bike) and a lot of weight machines. I feel like it's time to transition over to the free weights area instead of being reliant on the machines- both because it would work more muscle groups per exercise and because it's something I could also do at home if I get some weights. I desperately need more core strength and I know free weights and body weight exercises are good for that.

Unfortunately, I'm also a nervous sort of person, and I'm worried about starting with free weights! I go to Planet Fitness (they have that no judgement/critics policy) so I know that really no one will probably mock me, but as a still very fat girl wandering into the free weights area I really feel out of my element. Everyone who I see use the area regularly is super fit. I've been watching how-to videos for dumbbell and barbell exercises, but having never done them I guess I just can't help but be nervous.

Have any of you done this? How did it go? Did anyone say anything to you? I guess I just need some cheerleaders, or something! :laugh:

Replies

• suejonestx
    suejonestx Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I'm certainly not fit and do free weights every time I go to the gym. Just figure out what you need to do and do it! :) Start light and add weight if it's "easy" the first set. Good luck!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    You need a program. Having a clear plan of action makes it easier - and will help you achieve results faster.

I recommend Strong Lifts 5x5. It's simple, easy, fast, and great for beginners. Google it and join the group on here. There's an app for the iphone as well. It makes tracking your workouts very easy.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Just remember: All of those "super fit" people in there started out UN-fit.

Free weights can be intimidating at first. There are a lot of things to think about, like what regimen to use, if you're using an appropriate bench / seat, or how to select the proper weight. But, just like learning to drive (I remember being intimidated the first time my instructor said "take the on ramp onto the highway"), you get used to it. In time, you'll feel more comfortable.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    You need a program. Having a clear plan of action makes it easier - and will help you achieve results faster.

I recommend Strong Lifts 5x5. It's simple, easy, fast, and great for beginners. Google it and join the group on here. There's an app for the iphone as well. It makes tracking your workouts very easy.

This. Having a program will give you direction. I just started Stronglifts a few weeks ago and I love love love the results I'm getting.

You're probably going to feel a little weird at first but you just have to do it anyway and you'll get used to it. If you can go with someone it would be helpful because they can help you check your form. For the first couple of weeks I would watch the Stronglifts form videos on YouTube right before heading out to the gym just to make sure it was fresh on my mind.

You will not regret doing free weights. I did those machines for years in college and never saw any results from them. I've gotten more benefit from a month of Stronglifts than I got from all those months of doing machines.
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I think I'd be more likely to start with some tension cords from Wal*Mart, build to where I was comfortable with those first before wandering into "the zone" at a gym unless I had a personal trainer going with me. But, that's just me.
  • Aquarii
    Aquarii Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Have any of you done this? How did it go? Did anyone say anything to you? I guess I just need some cheerleaders, or something!

There's no need to be afraid. If anything, most of the people wouldn't mind helping, and would probably be flattered that you're reaching out to them for some help/pointers. When I first started I went to a small park district gym and no one came up to me to critique my form. There were only a few other people in the gym whenever I worked out, so that doesn't really compare to how busy Planet Fitness is, though like you said, their gym's goal is to be a judgment free place. If you're still worried about people judging you, just go to the gym during their least busy hours, which is what I did when I first weightlifting.

I would suggest that you do some research on what exercises you plan to do with free weights as well, since the last thing you want to do is injure yourself. Start out with lighter weights until you get your form down, then progress from there.
  • Rangersgirl6720
    Rangersgirl6720 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I was a bit nervous myself at first, so I asked the guys lifting for some advise. They were happy to help, recommend exercises, correct weight for me, number of reps etc. They still check in on me when they see me in the gym :). Sometimes you just have to ask.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    You will be so happy with your results, you will be saying to yourself "damn, why didn't I start this sooner?". I agree with the person who said to get yourself a starting program. Read about the first workout in the program, do some googling and watch videos on form, then get in there and try it.

I doubt anybody will say anything negative to you, but if they do, blow it off and don't stop lifting.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,983 Member
    Options
    I was nervous as well being a beginning lifter and seeing meat heads lifting heavy weights over in the area. You know what, no one gave a rat's *kitten* what I was doing. If it helps, take a friend to help with form or get a trainer for a little bit just to get comfortable.
  • obrientp
    obrientp Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Maybe someone working there can help you get started and give you a little orientation about free weight, so you won't be so intimidated the first time you walk into the weight room, The does gets easier, especially when you realize everyone is focused mainly on themselves and their workout.
  • OkieTink
    OkieTink Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone- so I've been going to the gym 3-4 times per week for four months now, doing both cardio (elliptical, upright bike) and a lot of weight machines. I feel like it's time to transition over to the free weights area instead of being reliant on the machines- both because it would work more muscle groups per exercise and because it's something I could also do at home if I get some weights. I desperately need more core strength and I know free weights and body weight exercises are good for that.

Unfortunately, I'm also a nervous sort of person, and I'm worried about starting with free weights! I go to Planet Fitness (they have that no judgement/critics policy) so I know that really no one will probably mock me, but as a still very fat girl wandering into the free weights area I really feel out of my element. Everyone who I see use the area regularly is super fit. I've been watching how-to videos for dumbbell and barbell exercises, but having never done them I guess I just can't help but be nervous.

Have any of you done this? How did it go? Did anyone say anything to you? I guess I just need some cheerleaders, or something! :laugh:

I can relate. I used to be stuck on the machines, but knew I'd get better results on free weights.

If you can't afford a trainer to show you the ropes do you have a friend that works out that can?

I was fortunate, I have an 18 year old son who is a football player/power lifter and knows his way around a weight room. He was more than happy to spend time with me and the free weights. Eventually I came across Jamie Eason's Live Fit program (free at bodybuilding.com) and I was off and running :smile:
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Just remember: All of those "super fit" people in there started out UN-fit.

^ This. I wouldn't say "All" but definitely "many."

Sure some people exercise for their entire life and have never been out of shape, but that certainly hasn't been my experience.
  • iron_jj
    iron_jj Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    They wont mock u at Planet Fitness until you start deadlifting :laugh: :laugh:

Just go and own it. There's no reason to be afraid, we all started somewhere. :wink:
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    I go to Planet Fitness (they have that no judgement/critics policy) so I know that really no one will probably mock me

probably the most judgemental gym i've ever heard about or stepped into.
  • kbauman09
    kbauman09 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Ask for help at the gym! Lifting is the best way to shape your body while losing (along with diet and cardio!). You will love it once you start AND it helps you continue to burn calories all day!
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I heard they have an alarm that judges you! Why would you go there?

I see a lot of women use the new rules of lifting for women and strong lifts 5x5. I don't think you will be able to do either there without getting thrown out. Not sure, I don't go to a PF.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    The problem with asking guys at the gym to help is that they may not know what they're doing and could end up teaching you bad habits. I've definitely noticed some very bad habits that are common at my gym. When I first started going I asked for form advice and was given some that wasn't great. I'd start with getting a program and then studying the form that the program recommends. Watch several how-to videos (different trainers will point out different aspects of form) and go in prepared. There's nothing wrong with asking for help and I'm sure the other gym-goers would love to give you tips, but you need to at least be able to spot which guys are doing things correctly and which ones aren't, so you'll know whose advice to listen to.
  • knitbytes
    knitbytes Posts: 114
    Options
    I heard they have an alarm that judges you! Why would you go there?

I've been going for four months and that's never gone off once. I'm not even sure it's a real thing.

I haven't had a single issue there, and at least at the one I go to I've never seen anyone be mean to anyone else. There are people from 90lbs to 500lbs every time I go. It's really nice.
  • Quest529
    Quest529 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I made my first visit to "the other side" last night. It wasn't as bad as I expected. I did feel like I was in the way a little bit, but honestly there wasn't anywhere else to go so I sucked it up (and I imagine the other people didn't really care).

I did the first workout for New Rules of Lifting for Women. It seems a little easy, so I threw in a couple sets of deadlifts at the end (started at 20lbs, last set was 30lbs.). Since I'm just starting, I didn't want to push it and need to find a starting point where I can feel like I'm actually working. I assume that this part is just going to be figuring what I can do and improving.

I had my husband there to watch me (checking my form and to be my security blanket in the sea of weight lifters).
  • knitbytes
    knitbytes Posts: 114
    Options
    Thanks for the tips, everyone! I'll start looking for a program. I don't know that Stronglifts 5x5 will work because it's so focused on the barbell, and there are only two at my gym (it's a super small one, but it's the closest). I am hoping to find a plan that mostly uses dumbbells.

I'm not sure I'm capable of asking other lifters for help (I am SERIOUSLY SHY) but I'll talk to the front desk people about the possibility of having someone show me the ropes. :)