Staying under your sugar

Options
Hi all

I'm a new user doing great in calorie counting and every category except sugars. I eat a banana puts me over my sugar, an apple the same, a little bit of yogurt over again. How do you all stay under the sugar amount it sets you?

Replies

• flitabout
    flitabout Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I changed mine because not all sugars are created equal! I don't count sugars from fruit or veggies. Fruit juice yes, candies and baked good absolutly! Your get sugars from whole grains. I go with 50 grams a day. That way I don't have to beat myself up if I eat an apple and a banana in the same day!
  • LeeLynnP
    LeeLynnP Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I am a carb counter
  • swvadude
    swvadude Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I changed my sugar counter to a cholesterol counter, check your sugar and if its not an issue for you then no need to track it, unless you are eating alot of candy, baked goods and stuff like that.
  • tRiNaBeAnZz
    tRiNaBeAnZz Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I used to have this issue with sugars, so I started eating plain nonfat greek yogurt and adding protein powder to it. (I can't stand the taste of plain greek yogurt so I had to do something!) I also recently bough Questbars. I love protein bars but a lot of them are full of sugar. Questbars taste like candy but only 1-3g of sugar per bar and 20g of protein! They are awesome! Fruits are high in sugar so I stick to mostly apple slices or 1/2 a banana.
  • kateauch
    kateauch Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I have this exact same problem as well. I love fruit and eating a banana and drinking my coffee today has already put me over my sugar mark.

Thinking I'm going to have to cut the coffee or at least my creamer for good :(
  • mdepko
    mdepko Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it too much unless you're diabetic or pre-diabetic. I agree with flitabout.
  • sunnydayz71
    sunnydayz71 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I'm new to MFP too. I also noticed that I am never able to meet my sugar amount the MFP sets. I'm usually a quarter to twice over what is recommended! However, on May 4th I'll hit my one month on MFP and I've lost 7 lbs. So I guess its okay, I"m happy with 7lbs a month. My sugar is coming from an occasional splurge on my favorite yogurt (Chobani coconut and almond) or a skinny cow ice cream bar. I did give up putting skim milk in my coffee (can't believe the sugar in that...) and now I use coconut milk (I think that's what its called) recommended by a friend but I don't like it b/c I can't taste anything. I mind as well drink it black.
    So I wouldn't worry too much unless you are way, way over.