Elilptical

Options
I was just wondering what part of your body does the Elilptical target? I want to lose pounds and wanted to know if this machine is a full body workout?

Replies

• Andrea_60505
    Options
    I'd like to know the same thing.
  • nopeekiepeekie
    nopeekiepeekie Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    i do not see it as a full body workout. in a majority of the cases, it's going to be more along the lines of a treadmill workout, without the impact on your knees. if it has an adjustable ramp, you'll get a little extra booty workout, but that's about it. the arm movement, imo, only gets your heart rate up.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    It is a full body workout, but targets the legs and hips most. How much work the arms do is really up to you. You can make an effort to push and pull with them, or just let them move back and forth without much effort. Because of the pedal motion the core is also engaged but not really targeted.
  • missybct
    missybct Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    You can make it a full body workout if you pull your abs in, tighten your butt cheeks and use the arms - I find it really difficult to use the arms for some reason - not from a cardio point of view, but in that it disrupts my rhythm and I end up not focusing. I use the rails in front and just go for it on interval training, and it's better for me since I got sort of shin splints running outdoors.
  • martintanz
    martintanz Posts: 280
    Options
    It is a good cardio workout without the impact on the joints from running, but unlike cycling, it is somewhat a weight bearing exercise. But, it isn't really a full body workout. For strength, and flexibility, you need to do other activities.