Cutting cardio to lifting and upping my calories - help?

Options
Hi all

I started off doing lots of cardio and have lost 18ibs from 148 pounds to 130 pounds.

I now want to start to rip up so I have calmed down on the cardio and I am trying to lift more weight.
I was feeling really slim but now I have calmed down on the cardio I dont feel as trim (although I know its in my head and I look the same).

I have upped my calories (although it doesnt feel right and I feel like I am eating too much, even though I am not) and I am feeling lean but but I just cant get my head round not seeing the calories burn and knowing Im going to gain weight on the scales even though I know this is what is going to happen if I want to develop more muscle and have a six pack etc.

How do I get my head round it all?

Jane

Replies

• emafairycake1986
    emafairycake1986 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    hello lovely,

it is a toughy but you need to remember that you still burn when your doing weights sometimes even more than cardio, for example i wore my HRM this morning and did 45mins weight training and burned 315 cals, i do this every day i train just so in my head im still burning even though im not jumping on a tredmill ..eot have you upped your cals? x
  • SenseiCole
    SenseiCole Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    a couple of quote for you

It comes down to a simple question: what do you want out of life, and what are you willing to do to get it?

Be specific in what you want, and use specific words. Empower yourself, and become the person you dream about

have you tried doing both cardo and weight together, i do cardo one day and weights the next, good luck
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    stop weighing yourself and go by how you look in the mirror!
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    The best thing to do would be to take a break from the scales if seeing the number go up is going to freak you out, so no weighing for a couple of months.

Focus on nutrition, strength goals and body fat percentage (through measurments / callipers) to monitor your progress rather than weight.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    I think you look great.

I agree with what has been said here, avoid weighing yourself for a while and just focus on improving the way you look via strength training.
  • MandiJessica23
    MandiJessica23 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Exactly what KarenJanine said - absolutely spot on!!
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Try to incorporate some goals that don't have to do with looks. If you're lifting, try to hit new PRs on the main movements. If you're running, sign up for an event and give yourself a goal time.

In my experience, the folks who do that are the ones that have the most success and ultimately look the best. Also you're looking good already.
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I felt the same exact way when I first started lifting and cut out cardio(We happen to be almost the same weight and height). I was also so focused on the numbers of the burn. It was difficult to switch the way I was previously thinking and really focus on the lifting instead. I also went from eating 1350 to 1800+.

I want to tell you that I've lost more body fat in the entire time I've been lifting than with cardio. Stick with it. Have patience. Take measurements. Set new PR's. I can squat 145lbs - that 100lbs more than I could 3 months ago. I feel strong and beautiful and you will too :)
  • mareeee1234
    mareeee1234 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I felt the same exact way when I first started lifting and cut out cardio(We happen to be almost the same weight and height). I was also so focused on the numbers of the burn. It was difficult to switch the way I was previously thinking and really focus on the lifting instead. I also went from eating 1350 to 1800+.

I want to tell you that I've lost more body fat in the entire time I've been lifting than with cardio. Stick with it. Have patience. Take measurements. Set new PR's. I can squat 145lbs - that 100lbs more than I could 3 months ago. I feel strong and beautiful and you will too :)

This is a great response!

And yeahh I went from 1350 to 1800! And stopped doing cardio every day and lift 3 x a week instead!!
  • Janeyb1978
    Janeyb1978 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you great response, really helps xx:smile:
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Just make sure you are getting high protein in your diet, and you will be golden.

Hide your scale for 2 months!
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    The best thing to do would be to take a break from the scales if seeing the number go up is going to freak you out, so no weighing for a couple of months.

Focus on nutrition, strength goals and body fat percentage (through measurments / callipers) to monitor your progress rather than weight.

AGREE. You will be fine. Just enjoy the ride! (For the record you'll be much happier with your body when you're lifting more and eating more, I know I am)