Legs for shorts

Options
I am looking for a workout to tone up my thighs and butt. Before children, I had a great Gym routine, but I am unable to go to a gym now. We do have a treadmill which I use 5 times a week. I also have been using Jillian Michael's Ripped in 30. I completed the 30 days and have now been replacing 1 or 2 runs a week with the Week 4 workout. I've seen results in my abs and arms but not much in the lower region. Any suggestions on DVD workouts, treadmill workouts, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Kettlebell workouts are great for the legs.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Kettlebell training is great, but I would strongly suggest you have at least one session with a qualified trainer before you embark on an at-home kettlebell program. You want to have proper instruction in the kettlebell exercises for obvious reasons--safety, and so that you're training in a way that will help you achieve whatever your fitness goals are. If you're interested in kettlebells, check out the dragondoor.com site to locate an HKC or RKC trainer in your area. Other good KB certifications are IKFF and Agatsu.

If you don't want to do kettlebells, you might look into a program such as You Are Your Own Gym, which is a bodyweight strength training program you can do at home. There is a book (Mark Lauren is the author) and an app.

Convict Conditioning is another similar program.
  • silverinc13
    silverinc13 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    There's a few treadmill incline workouts that I found on Pinterest that are supposed to be great for the glutes and thighs, look up the "Treadmill Brazilian Butt Workout" :)
  • Rivers2k
    Rivers2k Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Depends on how big your kids are but my 2 year old likes to wrap himself around my lower leg while I sit on the couch and I do leg lifts with him holding on. Talk about a quad burn :) Fun for him and good work out for me. I also dance around my living room taking turns holding each kid. After 3 or 4 songs I am spent. I am not a dancer at all I just act silly bouncing up and down and taking long strides along the room believe me you will feel it arms and legs.

Other than that do squats and and lunges. I also hold weights and go up on my toes and it works my calfs.
  • justjayce
    justjayce Posts: 11
    Options
    Squats, lunges, and jumping jacks! Plus this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Wjz6lGslo4
  • sitastar2004
    sitastar2004 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I am getting ready to start Jillian Michaels Killer Buns & thighs. You can look up the workout on youtube. If you decide to try it let me know & we can start together #motivation. I'm just finishing my last 2 days of JM 30DS.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Try learning how to do a pistol squat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • atosches
    atosches Posts: 22
    Options
    Although I do think Jillian MIchael's workouts were good, I think I have to take a break from her.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Try learning how to do a pistol squat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

This.

Easiest way to learn is to stand up and sit down (couches/chairs/toilet/etc...) while using pistol squat form

If it is way too hard start with lunges and split squats

Single leg work has a meaningful amount of resistance that will lead to good results.