anyone cut out alcohol completely to lose more weight?

Options

Replies

• likerebecca
    likerebecca Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Wine is full of sugar... Definitely try and cut back. Even if you cut back to one glass.. or cut back on the amount of days. Last year I cut out drinking for several months and changed NOTHING else about my eating habits (which were atrocious) and lost 8 pounds pretty quickly. So my 32 pounds lost is actually 40 pounds.... but I started my ticker after that loss. Now I am so used to not having it so often that I can only drink one or two before I'm buzzed and I only even do that every few weeks. Also, I agree with another poster who said I only drink vodka soda... That helps me too - lots less sugar than wine - Vodka club soda. But also much stronger. Good Luck!
  • likerebecca
    likerebecca Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I've thought about it.

Then I open a bottle of wine and laugh and laugh...

hahahhaah - I love this
  • martintanz
    martintanz Posts: 280
    Options
    Obviously everyone is different, but I gave up alcohol for Lent a couple years ago and lost no weight. Although I did not stop drinking to lose weight, I expected it to be a welcome side effect, as I was probably consuming about 30 drinks per week (of every kind and calories beer, wine, margaritas, shots). I went 40 days and 40 nights with no booze and didn't lose a single pound. However, I felt AWESOME. So much more energy (unlike you, I didn't have the casual couple of drinks per night --was much more of a binge drinker). And, yes, I had weight to shed (at the time, I was 28 yo, 5'6 and 145lbs). I say try it out for two weeks...or cut back--it couldn't hurt. Best of luck to you!!

Funny how we perceive things. I don't know you, so I cannot say for sure, but generally, I wouldn't consider 3 glasses of wine a night (for a woman), every night a casual couple of drinks, but rather perhaps someone on the cusp of a drinking problem. I had this conversation with my doctor recently and he suggested a max of 2 drinks a day for a man, 1 to 2 drinks a day for a woman for general health. Currently, I drink between 2 and 4 beers a week. For weight loss, consider cutting out alcohol completely, or at least for awhile.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    I limit myself to 1 glass 2-3x per week (Fri,Sat,Sun). I don't drink wine WITH dinner... I drink water... so I can really savor the flavor of the wine and it'll last longer.

To be honest with you, I used to drink atleast 1 bottle/day and I haven't lost any weight in weeks although I'm sticking with my workout/nutrition routine.... so I don't think it made much of a difference but I don't have the guilt so that counts for something :)

Not to mention, the morning after drinking all that wine my head is all fuzzy and I need a clear head for my runs in the AM.

Life is too short to give up everything you love but we could all exercise a little restraint. A glass of red wine/day is good for the heart :)
  • aepdx
    aepdx Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Yes! I used to drink an average amount of beer/wine. I started the diet and realized that the amount of calories it would take to get me drunk equals a lot of delicious food, so I just cut it out completely. I really have no desire anymore. I tried to go drink with friends and got really bored because I started feeling guilty about the calories. I could have one drink, but what is the point? It doesn’t taste good unless it is going to get me drunk! I rather have water.

So, yes. You will lose more weight if you cut out alcohol, definitely.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    I think cutting anything out completely is setting yourself up to fail.

In terms of alcohol? No, this is not the same as cutting out food. Unless your dependant upon it how can you equate this?

I cut it out not for weight loss but bc it interferes with my goals. I have a drink here or there over the span of a few months, but weekly outings are not my thing. I do see people struggling to lose the same weight they have been trying to lose for 6 months and this is an area they refuse to change. Alcohol made me feel sluggish, dehydrated me and if I was hungover it interfered with my workouts and eating. Not worth it in my opinion.
  • cheryl1fit4life
    Options
    I did. I think I lost 2 pounds because of it. (Since December).
  • ihammen
    ihammen Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I used to have a glass of wine with dinner, and a margarita on the deck in the evenings. Now I just have a glass of wine or a cocktail when we go out or special occasions. I don't think I would lose very well if I had a glass of wine every night. 3 glasses sounds excessive to me ....wine does have a lot of sugar and depending on the wine about 120-150 calories a glass.
  • cheryl1fit4life
    Options
    ROTFL!!! That was a good one. Thanks!
  • AllisonEBrown
    Options
    I cut out a lot of alcohol, not for the calories, but it tends to give me acid reflux. When I do drink, I will try to stick to 2 or so drinks, but I drink a pint of water between each drink. That way, I remain hydrated, and also I wake up the next morning without any sort of hangover. I have also notice chat since losing weight, I can feel the effects of alcohol faster, and want to hold off drinking until I hit my goal weight.
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    3p1a36.jpg
  • autumny70
    autumny70 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I've thought about it.

Yes! Glad I'm not the only one!!
  • girlfromOklahoma
    girlfromOklahoma Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    From what I've read alcohol slows down your metabolism. So not only are you drinking those calories, but you're also slowing down the rate at which the body processes them.

I don't know what kind of wine you're dirnking, but most wines are 200+ calories per glass. That would be over 600 cals a day just on a beverage. If you're already cutting calories, I'd be concerned that you're not getting the proper nutrients you need eating a deficit and still making room for 3 glasses of wine per night.

Personally, I enjoy having drinks with friends. However, I try to limit it to just 1 night per week usually Saturday nights.
  • amandacrowder
    amandacrowder Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Yes, I cut alcohol out completely and have been extremely successful. I didn't drink a whole lot before, but when I did it always set me back. I feel so much better not drinking alcohol :)
  • ElyseL1
    ElyseL1 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I changed what I drink, I'm a beer and wine person mostly but I find that beer will make me retain water, especially if it is a wheat beer. Now I mostly just stick to drinking white wine and have a glass or two a week, and that's it. I try to restrict it.
  • wey1983
    wey1983 Posts: 109
    Options
    Helllll naaaaaahhhhh Playa!!!!! I need my nighttime buzzzz on! Its my way of winding down after a good days work.
    This is how I make up for it!

1.) Run an extra Mile at the gym!
    2:) Lift HEAVY!
    3.) Drink lots of water during the day. Hydrate!
    4.) MULTIVITAMIN up!!!!
    5.) Alot of Sex! Usually after I get my buzzz on :devil:

Thats how I roll!!!!

Hahaha awesome.
  • Liatush
    Liatush Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    I've thought about it.

I think I just found my soul mate!
  • martintanz
    martintanz Posts: 280
    Options
    I used to have a glass of wine with dinner, and a margarita on the deck in the evenings. Now I just have a glass of wine or a cocktail when we go out or special occasions. I don't think I would lose very well if I had a glass of wine every night. 3 glasses sounds excessive to me ....wine does have a lot of sugar and depending on the wine about 120-150 calories a glass.

That is a good point. 3 glasses of wine is almost an entire meal's worth of calories. That means that to lose weight, something has to give, and that something is probably nutrition.
  • durangocal
    durangocal Posts: 90 Member
    Options

Great article-thanks for posting
  • BajaDreamin333
    BajaDreamin333 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Yes, I cut alcohol out of my diet and noticed a difference immediatly.. Alcohol is worse than just the calories it contains for many reasons. One, it almost immediatly turns to sugar, so if you're not doing anything, it will likey just go right to fat. The high calorie content contains no nutrients, so you're swapping calories and getting no nutrients out of it. And finally, as we all know, our inibitions go way down after a drink or two, and it is really easy to justify snacking (cheese goes so nicely with wine) that before we know it, we've eaten more than intended. Finally, it makes you retain water, so you're "puffy" in the face, and your whole body is swollen.

I think if you're really serious, cut it out of your regular diet, and have it for special occasions only, like a party or weekend BBQ.

If I'm going to consume over 150 calories (roughly the amount in a glass of red wine) I would rather have something my body wants and can use in my next work out. And I don't know about you, but I never really had just one glass of wine. ;)