Athlete trapped in fat. You too? Add me, por favor.

Options
My profile sums up the how-did-I-get-here-again journey into fatness. Check it out if so inclined.

I'm a 35 y.o. ginger Latina from Colorado and back in my athletic days I liked to surround myself with health-conscious individuals. Problem is, I don't have those kind of people in my "real-life" anymore. I'm hoping to encounter some inspiring and needing some inspiration types of guys and gals. More positive than negative...although we all have our days. And, yes, even my fat girl self is still competitive so if you have a competition on MFP let me know!

Football season is far off, Nuggets are almost over and baseball isn't exciting yet so I actually wanna get off the couch now. Who's in?

Replies

• Amethyst125
    Amethyst125 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Count me in. Just started again and will be out there playing paddle tennis this summer hopefully swimming at the beach too.
    I also need motivation, I live one block from the beach and would love to have the body I had before and be as competitive as I used to be.
  • dltp223
    dltp223 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Me! Sending request.
  • BlueAndOrange
    Options
    Awesome! Glad to meet you. Isn't it frustrating how we have all this wonderful world right outside and it's just out of reach because of the choices we make. Thank goodness being in Colorado I don't have to worry about a beachbody. lol.
  • vmckinzey
    vmckinzey Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't neccessarily consider myself an athlete, but definitely never the couch potato I've become. I definitely in this for long-term change, so I can relate. Send you a request.
  • RCMPWannaBe
    RCMPWannaBe Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I was in so many sports, and now my shape is definitely holding me back. Adding you!
  • BlueAndOrange
    Options
    I was in so many sports, and now my shape is definitely holding me back. Adding you!

Thanks! I definitely understand where you are coming from. My pic in a blue Nike beast shirt that's on my profile looks like a spandex on me now...and it's cotton. lol. Long way to go. Look forward to getting back to good with you.
  • TigerPawsSC
    TigerPawsSC Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I've played sports my entire life. Football and baseball as a young person (high school, college). Now I play a lot of tennis. I'm a 6'1 male. Weighed 200 when I used to play centerfield. Got up to 270 this winter. Decided to do something about it. Now I'm at 232, and I play tennis pretty much every single day. It's absolutely amazing the quickness, speed, and stamina transformation that I've seen. My speed has returned, and that's just as much fun as seeing the pounds go away.

My advice to you, if you consider yourself an athlete, is to incorporate sports into your exercise. I typically walk 18 holes once per week, and I play tennis every day that I am not playing golf. I have a few friends to play with, and it doesn't even feel like working out. But after 90 mins of hard tennis, at my weight, i am burning well in excess of 1000 calories. I lean on my old habits of being pushed by coaches in offseason training. And I sometimes find myself doing hard sessions of wind sprints, just to do them. Feels weird doing the things I used to curse at coaches for making me do.

It can be done. I'm probably 30 pounds from optimal weight. But that's a lot better than the 70 pounds away that I was.
  • BlueAndOrange
    Options
    I've played sports my entire life. Football and baseball as a young person (high school, college). Now I play a lot of tennis. I'm a 6'1 male. Weighed 200 when I used to play centerfield. Got up to 270 this winter. Decided to do something about it. Now I'm at 232, and I play tennis pretty much every single day. It's absolutely amazing the quickness, speed, and stamina transformation that I've seen. My speed has returned, and that's just as much fun as seeing the pounds go away.

My advice to you, if you consider yourself an athlete, is to incorporate sports into your exercise. I typically walk 18 holes once per week, and I play tennis every day that I am not playing golf. I have a few friends to play with, and it doesn't even feel like working out. But after 90 mins of hard tennis, at my weight, i am burning well in excess of 1000 calories. I lean on my old habits of being pushed by coaches in offseason training. And I sometimes find myself doing hard sessions of wind sprints, just to do them. Feels weird doing the things I used to curse at coaches for making me do.

It can be done. I'm probably 30 pounds from optimal weight. But that's a lot better than the 70 pounds away that I was.

Congrats on your success thus far! That's some solid work you did.

You are so right! Exercise doesn't feel like it if you return to what you used to love to do, right? I've scheduled some 5k and 10k races as well as another 14'er in the fall. Told people about them too. It's all about accountability and goal setting just like sports. Thank you for the words of encouragement. Very helpful.
  • keepongoingnmw
    keepongoingnmw Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I am not an athlete, never encouraged to do so....I discovered I love fitness classes particularly bootcamp style classes! I am wife to a competitive (travel) soccer coach (how embarrassing to be his fat wife) and mom to four soccer players, as well as volley ball, track, and basket ball. Would like to add you and hope you add me back.