Please help - I'm really trying and failing

Options
Please have a look at my profile and diary and please let me know what I'm doing wrong because I'm not losing weight or inches. I've been at this for months and it seems I’m spinning my wheels. I thought I was on the right track but not anymore.

My husband started tracking at the same time as I did (early March), doesn't work out and has a very sedentary job and has lost weight and inches and everybody is commenting on how lean he looks. I'm happy for him but regardless of what I do and how hard I work, I'm just not succeeding. I am essentially the same as I was when I started; the only difference is that I feel tighter under my fat but the fat is still there.

I measure everything
I work out 5 times/week and burn about 350 calories (I lift heavy 3x a week)
I eat 1800 and don’t eat back exercise (set at TDEE – 20%)
I've read, understand and have applied the information on the Road Map

I'm a strong willed person and if I can figure out what to do to get the results I will do it well. Please help me with this. Any suggestions would really be appreciated. Thank you.

I tried to add a document that has my calorie report and progress report but I can't figure out how to do it. Will keep looking into it and add it later. :)

Replies

• ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    You've been eating this way since early March and haven't dropped a single pound? I can see why you're frustrated; I would be too. Clothes are still fitting the same?

Have you seen a doctor to rule out thyroid or hormonal issues? That's honestly all I can think of. If this is a 20% TDEE deficit, and you are truly accurately measure and logging your food, you should be losing weight.
  • smn76237
    smn76237 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Do you have a food scale?
  • refinedredbird
    refinedredbird Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I don;t see anything absolutely crazy in your diary so I would just recommend making sure that the amount your are eating is accurate and properly measured so you are logging your calories correctly (you may already be doing that) and make sure that when you are working out that you change it up and it may help you. If you are working out a lot 5x a week you might even need to adjust your calories and possible eat more. Besides that, I am not completely sure what to tell you except to be patient, sometimes it doesn't happen right away. Focus more on body fat percentage and inches lost, your lifting may be making your body leaner, but the scale is not moving. Good luck!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I think you're doing everything you need to be doing. Are you eating less or more than you were before?

Am I understanding that you have lost no weight and no inches, or very little weight and very little inches? Have you tracked your body fat?

My suggestion would be to let it go for another month (I see that you've been doing this for almost two months so far). That will give your lifting a chance to have an impact on your metabolism.

If you still don't see a change, get checked out by your doctor to see if you have a deficiency or other issue.

Then drop another 200 calories if everything checks out.
  • TheApocalypse
    TheApocalypse Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Your calories don't add up to your macros. I would try and ensure

1) You hit or exceed the protein every day
    2) you stay under on the carbs and sugar
    3) you make sure your food info is correct

I counted up the macros to several days and one was off by 700 calories! You thought you ate 1700 but you ate 2400!! That is a big difference...
  • m4ttcheek
    m4ttcheek Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Personally i think you're eating too much. You only eat 350 less than me and i only drop 1lb a week and train a similar amount to you.

Why aren't you hitting your protein? That should be your minimum. If you don't want to eat more meat then maybe consider adding whey to your diet.
  • Frankietb
    Frankietb Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Thank you Shannon for responding. :)

Yes, I've been logging, exercising consistantly, and eating at TDEE-20% for over 7 weeks now and I started at 157lbs and I'm at 156lbs and clothes feel the same.

According to Fat2fit, my BMR is 1432 and my TDEE is 2220 (moderate activity) so minus 20% is 333 so I set my MFP goal as 1800 (I like even numbers). :wink: And don't eat back exercise.

I have eaten at this (give or take a few calories) except for 2 days the whole time (went over by a few but less or equal to my TDEE) and not losing.

I feel fine so I don't think it's a medical problem... who knows though. Never thought about it.....
  • HeathArrow478
    Options
    Hi. I noticed that you were not counting your sodium intake and I see that you eat a lot of things that have extremely high sodium. I would suggest tracking that as well and see if you can get the numbers down.
  • alienrite
    alienrite Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I would eat less than 20% TDEE. There is an error factor which can be as high as 20% so you may be ending up eating pretty much at your maintenance level. In the end, if your calories at 1800 are not leading to a weight loss, then eat less calories. I would think you need to be down another 200-300 to see a measured result.
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options

I counted up the macros to several days and one was off by 700 calories! You thought you ate 1700 but you ate 2400!! That is a big difference...

Second this guy.

Also, you need to watch your sodium content and your fat/carbs as well as snacks. All those chips are going to add up as well as weekend binges with drinks and what not that are most likely keeping you at maintenance. You seem to divulge everyday in at least chips or popcorn or something of that nature as a "treat" - try eliminating that or at least taking it down to 1-2 times a week.
  • mariemunoz
    mariemunoz Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi :) Looks like you're doing great so far! Congrats! I just looked at some of your diary posts on meals. One recommendation I noticed is that I would up your protein intake. For example, yesterday's meal posts you had an intake of 50 or so grams of protein, but carbs were around 200 grams or something like that. If you are lifting 3 X a week then I would definitely up your protein to at least 100 or 150. Sometimes if I don't get enough protein in my meals I'll add whey protein to meet my protein needs/goals. Also, I would maybe do cardio 2 or 3X a week. Also, maybe focus on calories burnt on cardio sessions instead of amount of time spent on them. For example, I used to do endless hours on cardio machines. ...didn't work lol Now, I lift 5 X a week and only do cardio 2 X a week for 400 calories burnt sessions. I just started logging my meals again on here. Again, these are just suggestions. It seems like you eat pretty healthy are are active :) Good Luck!! :)
  • plarroy
    plarroy Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    How can we look at your diary? Never mind, I just went directly with the url: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/frankietb
  • dfonte
    dfonte Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Why did you put moderately active? Not saying you aren't, just curious.

I'm 150 pounds, 5'9", 30 years old, and male. We obviously have different BMR's and goals, but my maintenance is about 2000 calories a day for just going to work, cleaning around the house, running errands, etc.
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    You might consider adjusting your macros a little. MFP sets the carbs a little high and the fat a little low, IMO. Your carbs don't look terribly high to begin with, but your fat is awfully low. Try eating more olives/olive oil, avocados, real butter (full-fat dairy if you're into dairy), coconut oil...etc. You'll be surprised how eating MORE fat can actually help move fat off your body, especially if you're physically active.
  • steph0924
    steph0924 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Wow, I looked at your food diary and I eat close to the same type of food you do each day and I am struggling also. I am also 5ft 3in and currently 154. Recently I had gotten down to 145 and maintained that for about 2 years until the holidays. When I get down that low (for me) I am eating about 1400-1500 cal/day and I really watch my carbs (maybe about 100-120g/day). I have been under stress recently and have gained about 9 pounds. I have also been reading about the Road Map and am curious about it. I am very interested in seeing what kind of replies you get b/c I feel as if I could have written the same post! I workout 6 days per week. Usually P90X or right now, Chalean Extreme. Hope you can find what works soon! It is frustrating.
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options

Yeah, read this

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think?hl=eating+more+than+you+think
  • debralekicsummers
    debralekicsummers Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    How much water do you drink? This could also influence weight loss. Sodium is also a killer.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Off the top of my head:

Be sure you used the appropriate activity level when figuring your TDEE. If you have a desk job but DO NOT just sit on your *kitten* when you are at home, then you are not sedentary. Include how often do you workout, clean house, do yard work, walk around, run errand, etc.

Be sure to weigh with a digital scale every morsel that passes your lips. No guesstimating or eyeballing.

Remember, heavy worked muscles will retain water and mask your loss. Do not rely on scales for progress measuring. Get a tape measure. Try on clothes that were previously too tight. Look in the mirror for subtle changes to your physique. Take pictures every month or two and compare. All of this counts as progress.

I weight lift also and been hovering around 151 for months now, but my body definitely has been changing. Slowly but surely.
  • elana87
    elana87 Posts: 5
    Options
    The "easiest" fix would be to drop the calories consumed. While programs like MFP are good for tracking, they are not always 100% accurate on things like resting metabolism, so it might not be predicting the calories you need correctly. If you eat fewer calories, you will lose weight.

The other option would be to change the kinds of foods you are eating. I noticed you have a lot of processed foods in your diary. If it's processed, it will also be high in sodium (whether it tastes salty or not) and probably sugar as well. While weight loss can definitely be boiled down to calories in vs. calories out, the quality of the calorie can make a difference. I would try cutting out some of the processed (aka packaged) foods, and cutting back on some of the unnecessary things (maybe leave off the jelly when having peanut butter on your cinnamon raisin bread, or switch to plain whole wheat bread for less sugar in there). Go for home cooked meals as often as you can, and generally avoid any packaged food that boasts some big health benefit (sugar free = more fat, fat free = more sugar, etc.). If you need a crunchy, salty snack, opt for baked chips instead of regular.

Also, it's important to get enough, though not too much, protein. Make sure every meal or snack has some protein in it. I personally don't think you need to or should be supplementing with whey powder or any other protein supplement, but instead focus on a whole food source for your protein, whether it's chicken, fish, nuts, or beans.

Finally, make sure you're drinking enough water. Hunger can often a sign of thirst. A good trick that I've heard is to drink a glass of water when you get hungry and wait 10 minutes. If you're still hungry 10 minutes later, go ahead and eat. Since the water will take up room in your stomach, it will help you eat less as well.

Good luck with your weight loss! I hope you find something that works for you.
  • neacail
    neacail Posts: 228 Member
    Options

OMG. This is something I have never checked in my own diary before . . . it never even occurred to me that it was a possibility! On the two sites I used to use before MFP, they would both correct erroneous data by upping the calories in the food to match the entered macros.

I'm going to be going through my diary for the last month and adding everything up.