5 pound fluctuation in ONE DAY?

Options
So, for about two weeks I was weighing in at a certain weight, not losing, not gaining. I got on the scale yesterday at the gym. Up three pounds from where I was. I've been staying within my calories, eating pretty healthy, and I do cardio 4 times a week and strength training twice a week. I was so upset! This morning, I got on the scale... and I'm DOWN 2 pounds from where I was. WHAT THE HECK?? Anyone else have 5 pound weight fluctuations in one day? What number do I trust?

Replies

• Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    After a birthday weekend of drinks and food I went from 197 to 201 when I weighed myself Monday morning. I had a big workout, ate normal, and played a tennis match in the evening and I weighed myself before going to bed and was at 194.

I normally fluctuate around 3 pounds in a day.

I also normally only weigh-in once a week, but only look at porgress over a month to account for all that daily mess.

No worries.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Natural body weight fluctuations are...well, natural. Whether I'm losing or maintaining, I can fluctuate 2-5 Lbs day to day. You have water retention/release, glycogen retention/release, food in/out, waste, etc. It's normal and natural...weight loss isn't linear and weight maintenance isn't static.

Also, if you increase intensity in your workouts, particularly strength training you are going to retain more water for muscle repair.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I fluctuate normally about 5-6 pounds in a day.
  • JAnundson
    JAnundson Posts: 23
    Options
    I usually only weigh once a week. The fact that I was UP three pounds made me want to weigh myself again this morning. I have consciously upped my water intake lately. I'm drinking A LOT of water...
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I usually only weigh once a week. The fact that I was UP three pounds made me want to weigh myself again this morning. I have consciously upped my water intake lately. I'm drinking A LOT of water...

I do that too. The only reason I weighed myself Monday was to see what damage I did this weekend. :)
  • Lbf321
    Lbf321 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Oh yes very normal. Last week I gained 10 lbs, and then suddemly dropped the weight. For me it was water and just before ovulation.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I fluctuate from 128 to 132 daily. Last night, 132, this morning, 128. Tonight I'll probably be at 132 again. It's always like that. It doesn't bother me, I'm more concerned about how I look and feel, but I weight myself all the time because it amazes me how it's ALWAYS 128 and 132! I don't even know what to consider my weight...130?
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Totally normal.. stick to weighing in one day a week like you were or you'll just keep seeing ups and downs like this.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    So, for about two weeks I was weighing in at a certain weight, not losing, not gaining. I got on the scale yesterday at the gym. Up three pounds from where I was. I've been staying within my calories, eating pretty healthy, and I do cardio 4 times a week and strength training twice a week. I was so upset! This morning, I got on the scale... and I'm DOWN 2 pounds from where I was. WHAT THE HECK?? Anyone else have 5 pound weight fluctuations in one day? What number do I trust?

I fluctuate 5 lbs in one day easily. The time of day affects your weight (mostly due to what you have or haven't eaten), whether or not you've gone to the bathroom - which is why people recommend weighing in first thing in the morning after going to the bathroom so most factors are consistent. However, keep in mind scale weight is only part of the picture. Many things can affect it like your sodium level, menstrual cycle (obviously for women), even how much sleep you got.

ETA
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/350212--why-scales-lie
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    It's completely normal for me to fluctuate 8-10 pounds in a single day. You have to remember that anything you consume during the day adds to your total weight, any water retention, any yet-to-be-expelled waste. The day-to-day and hour-to-hour numbers are fairly meaningless; only long-term trends tell you anything meaningful.
  • saitiffeh
    saitiffeh Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I fluctuate a lot though the day, yesterday it was 10 pounds total! I weigh-in several times a day sometime, not for any other real reason then I've been amusing myself with how much it fluctuates! I count my Saturday morning weigh-in as the 'official' number.
  • ChangingAmanda
    ChangingAmanda Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Yea, it's normal. Also, you sounds like you used two different scales so there will be inconstancy there as well.
  • MelissaM528
    MelissaM528 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Yes, my weight fluctuates daily. If it's that time of the month or I eat a high sodium meal my weight shoots up (but only temporarily), I make sure to drink A LOT of water daily to counteract the water weight. It works.