Expanding your stomach

Options
fitnessbugg
fitnessbugg Posts: 141 Member
I just read this:

"Even overeating "healthy" foods can sabotage your weight-loss goals. Large portions not only leave you feeling tired and bloated but also expand your stomach, so it takes more and more food to keep you feeling full."

I think I'm guilty of this. At night with dinner I would eat *a lot* of veggies. I think I was just expanding my stomach so that the next evening if for some reason copious amounts of veggies weren't available I would feel hungry and unsatisfied after dinner. I always thought since veggies are low cal, eat as much as you want. Now that I have cut back on portions of veggies, I don't really miss it, feel "skinnier" and don't have to go to the store so much!

Do you agree with this theory of mine?

Replies

• mrsparoline
    Options
    I definitely find this to be true. Usually every few days I'll cut up some veggies so I can sort of graze. When I feel hungry, I'll have a few red pepper/carrot/cucumber sticks or whatever. I know so many people out there will say green veggies are basically free calories so eat all you want, but I think my stomach has shrunk by planning out my meals and not treating veggies as open season, ya know?
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I just read this:

"Even overeating "healthy" foods can sabotage your weight-loss goals. Large portions not only leave you feeling tired and bloated but also expand your stomach, so it takes more and more food to keep you feeling full."

If you read it on the Internet it must be true.
  • fitnessbugg
    Options
    I just read this:

If you read it on the Internet it must be true.

That's what I thought. Thanks.
  • Capt_Inzane
    Capt_Inzane Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I'm guilty of this. I wonder can a person who monitors their diet strictly eat a foot long sandwich? 29/male (for comparison)

I've eaten two foot long sandwiches within an hour or two which I know is just way too much food.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I just read this:

I think I'm guilty of this. At night with dinner I would eat *a lot* of veggies. I think I was just expanding my stomach so that the next evening if for some reason copious amounts of veggies weren't available I would feel hungry and unsatisfied after dinner. I always thought since veggies are low cal, eat as much as you want. Now that I have cut back on portions of veggies, I don't really miss it, feel "skinnier" and don't have to go to the store so much!

I've never heard of over-eating veggies as a big cause of obesity. Cutting back on veggies for your health is a pretty bad idea!
  • fitnessbugg
    Options
    ahamm002,

ha, the way you put that makes sense, but i still get my veggies in, believe me! lol
    i'm just talking about expanding your stomach. Even if it's with the "right" food, it's not necessarily a good thing. I mean, if one "serving size" of cooked veggies is 1/2 cup, I would easily eat 3 cups in one setting. I never measured though. That might be an underestimate! Now I try to eat 1 1/2 cups. It seems to make a big difference.
  • SirBonerFart
    SirBonerFart Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    Once your food leaves the stomach it shrinks back to original size, I wouldn't worry about stretching it out
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I can see where eating a large bulk of anything regularly would reset where you think you are 'full'. Probably doesn't matter too much if it's raw veggies except if you're uncomfortable digesting that amount of bulk and fiber. The problem would be if you need a large volume to feel full and find yourself in a situation where you can't get your raw veggies. Then you'd overeat and feel full, or don't and go hungry.
  • pippywillow
    pippywillow Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    That's interesting, I never thought that much about it. I tend to binge on celery when i feel like eating something cruncy, it's better than a big bag of chips.

I know when I'm sick or something for a few days and don't eat anything when I eat normally again my stomach feels smaller, I get full faster.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Most data I've seen links calorie dense foods with obesity. That pretty much contradicts the notion that stomach expansion from veggies would be issue with appetite and obesity.

Stomach expansion is theoretically more of an issue with diet soda. People will drink 3 liters of some carbonated beverage per day, and continue drinking it even though they feel full. That might expand your stomach. Eating veggies will not.
  • Prettee2B
    Prettee2B Posts: 39
    Options
    Good wisdom, Thanks for sharing