logging work as exercise

Options
I am starting a second job today as a waitress in a busy restaurant. As this is above and beyond my normal work day and on the days I work will keep my from my normal gym schedule, I was thinking about wearing my HRM and logging the calories burned as exercise. Any thoughts on this?

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    From my understanding your HRM isn't going to be accurate unless you continually have your heart rate elevated. I'd just think of these as bonus activity days and not log them personally.
  • mrsparoline
    Options
    Coming from a former waitress, I completely understand seeing this as extra activity, which it is! If I were to log it, I'd log your whole shift as light walking or something similar, because you are bound to have downtime in addition to crazy fast-paced times. As the pp said, I'm not sure a HRM would be accurate in this case.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    HRMs aren't designed to work like that, so won't be accurate. Other devices like a BodymediaFit would be better.

If it was me, I'd just up my activity level, as this is going to be part of your normal daily activities (even if it's not exactly the same every day). I would definitely count it somewhere, to make sure you're giving your body the fuel it needs, but personally I would think that counting it as part of your activity level would be easier and less stressful than trying to calculate the burn each time (unless you have one of those other devices).
  • 07JKGirl
    07JKGirl Posts: 45
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback.
  • Scott_2025
    Scott_2025 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I have a job where i am very sedentary most days, but on occasions I am outside doing real work. I added an exercise called busy work day. If i spend two hours outside doing manual work I will log two hours of it.... My calorie burn for it is roughly the same as walking, i believe....