sodium help?

Options
I just added sodium to my diary list, and looked back through my last 5 days. It automatically added the sodium content to all my foods I had listed, and I can really see how badly I need to cut back on my sodium. I have already vowed to take some of my food choices out of my selections because of how much sodium is in them, but some of the things that I can't, mainly canned veggies, really have a ton of sodium. I have tried the lower salted or no salt veggies and they are just horrible. Does anyone have any ideas on what I could add to them to make them edible?

Replies

• megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    If you can't go fresh or frozen vegetable make sure you rinse off the vegetables in the can. That will cut down on the sodium. Low sodium pre made foods are just awful. When my son had kidney failure we found out that they all pretty much taste terrible so we started doing it all by scratch. Much better. With all the farmers markets right now you should be able to get fresh vegetables at a reasonable price and freeze them. Good luck.
  • clwatlington
    clwatlington Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Have you tried using the frozen veggies. The sodium content is way lower, almost non existent. Then you can add a little salt to it yourself and it's not nearly as bad for you. Plus most people don't realize a lot of canned foods have MSG in them and that will skyrocket the sodium level.
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    Try frozen or fresh veggies instead. I think they taste better actually, the can makes them soggy in my opinion. You could add a little salt and other seasonings if you need more flavor.
  • sharonuk10
    sharonuk10 Posts: 277
    Options
    I second the fresh or frozen. I know it is hard to keep fresh veg fresh. I use frozen. Sometimes fresh, depends on how quick I am going to eat them.
  • GrandmaFaith
    Options
    I use frozen veggies and salt-free butter. Even my daycare kids think they came from the garden.
  • DawnOf1969
    DawnOf1969 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with the fresh or frozen part mentioned above. You can also get Mrs. Dash without salt and it adds to the flavor if you have to stick with canned for a reason.