when will it hit me?

Options
bubsnoble
bubsnoble Posts: 20 Member
So 2 years ago I went on WW and lost 30lbs plus with the program.. well here I am 2 years later back to my starting weight, on and off MFP. Seems i just cant get to that "moment"... Giving up chips, and my pepsi seems impossible but I see and read about so many people that do it.any tips would be great :) For now I am slowly going to try and ween myself off the stuff. I find when I do "diet" I do let myself have a "treat" and then I binge :( Also stress and boredom are HUGE factors in my eating :( Soo any tips, support is greatly appreciated.. feel free to add me :)

Replies

• hethbabe
    hethbabe Posts: 7
    Options
    Hi. I myself at the beginning just left room for that. On occasion will still treat myself. Pepsi and chips were like a drug for me, so I went of gradually. My suggestion is for now, if you know you will want it, save room for it on your count. Just count out your serving of chips, or get the small bags and force yourself to STOP at that. I eventually found myself not even having the taste for that stuff anymore after I cut back. Now during PMS, that's another story :wink: That's usually when I treat myself. This is just my suggestion, and what worked for me. Good Luck.
  • cstahnke
    cstahnke Posts: 6
    Options
    That's the trick isn't it? Getting into that mindset where you say to yourself, "no pepsi or chips for me." I quit smoking years ago and once the cravings stopped it was no problem, but eating is entirely different! You have to monitor yourself every minute of every day, seemingly forever. I had two servings of doritos last night, mindlessly munching while watching TV. I just had to forgive myself and start over today. For me it's using the calorie and exercise tracker....once I stop using it I begin to gain weight steadily. I have that type A personality and seeing the chart and the totals is the way I get my brain on board with the plan. Good luck to you! Keep thinking about it and your "moment' will happen. :wink:
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    For myself, I often indulge in treats. The difference between now and before is that I either: a) find a somewhat healthier version of what I am craving and have that or: b) exercise enough that the extra calories are covered. Remember, one sip does not make a summer and one bad day does not ruin a diet. What you are looking for is a sustainable lifestyle change, so if you would be miserable without a few treats now and again, incorporate them, and be guilt free.
  • hollahollahollaholla
    Options
    It's in your head. Completely. You cant make excuses, either you want to do it bad enough or you dont. Right now, you dont. You have to make a consious effort to WANT the change and do what it takes to make it happen.
  • simona815
    simona815 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I am a huge pepsi drinker as well. I have found it best to cut out soda all together, just cut myself off cold turkey. No weening, no cheat days no diet version. I would suggest trying to replace it with something else. Just retrain your brain, anytime you would normally have soda drink the substitute instead. I am drinking green iced tea with splenda like there is no tomorrow. I know it may sound harsh but it will be so worth it. Hopefully when you see the difference in your waistline that will be all the motivation you need to continue. Good luck to you =)
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    For me, it was really learning about healthy eating. Not from a standpoint of cutting calories but really sitting down and looking at ingredients for the things you buy pre-made, pre-packaged, processed in the grocery stores.

Chips = crap
    Soda = crap
    Candy = crap
    Cookies = crap.

They put so many preservatives and FAKE ingredients in this stuff that even if it was only 10 calories what does it matter? its still crap. I haven't had a soda in............ I don't even know when the last time was I had a soda. I LOVED soda... but its crap. No wonder I always felt like... crap :) It is hard, even thinking about the nutritional side and trying to eat clean to give it up... so i suggest do a clean sweep in your house... get rid of EVERYTHING. START OVER. If there's no crap in your house you won't be tempted because its a slippery slope from "just a handful of chips" to the whole bag. I used to put butter or ketchup on EVERYTHING. I very rarely even use that either... now that I have real food that's vibrant with lots of great taste... i don't need that stuff.

Good luck!
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    So 2 years ago I went on WW and lost 30lbs plus with the program.. well here I am 2 years later back to my starting weight, on and off MFP. Seems i just cant get to that "moment"... Giving up seems impossible but I see not loving my body and read about so many people that do it.any tips would be great :) For now I am slowly going to Run and Lift and become awesome. I find when I do "diet" I do let myself have a "treat" and then I binge. So I'm not going to diet anymore and change my lifestyle to something sustainable

Here I fixed it for you, welcome to the awesome club.

keep-calm-and-know-you-are-really-awesome-2.png
  • notnikkisixx
    notnikkisixx Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    The trick for me is to approach eating not as a diet, but as a whole lifestyle change. I decided to eat healthy permanently because I find that a "temporary" diet just sets me up for failure. It's important to indulge every once in a while, but find tricks to make it impossible to binge. Instead of buying a bag of candy, buy just one piece :)
  • Chejan
    Chejan Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    The way I stopped eating that stuff is to simply stop buying it. When I'm in the grocery store, I fight the urge to pick up a bag of chips, or whatever I'm craving. When the cravings come on at home, there is usually no junk for me to grab because I didn't buy any, and I'm usually too lazy to go out and get something. Overtime the cravings just reduced as I got used to not eating stuff like that.
  • jhstroebel
    jhstroebel Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Replace chips with baked chips, or pop chips, or healthier versions. Replace regular soda with diet soda, or even flavored water additives. Then slowly go to water all together. The way to be successful isn't to "diet" but to change your lifestyle, and how and what you eat.

The other issue with chips tends to be portion control. It starts as a few chips and turns into the bag... Measure out your chips (a food scale will allow you to do this easily by the oz) and bag them by the serving in ziplock bags. Or buy the single serving bags to start (not easy to find in your grocery store with the healthier chip options).

There are healthier versions of almost everything that are the treats you have now... Find them, and maybe you won't like them as much in the beginning, but i've found now I have zero desire to go back to greasy, fatty potato chips or soda (except when drinking, and always diet). Otherwise have your treats in moderation. They make flavorful treats in 100 calorie packs (normally pretty similar to the full calorie things just in smaller pieces with less of them).
  • bronnyd
    bronnyd Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    For myself, I often indulge in treats. The difference between now and before is that I either: a) find a somewhat healthier version of what I am craving and have that or: b) exercise enough that the extra calories are covered.

This is what I recommend as well...when I first started I would indulge in the less healthy treats that I loved like chips, milk chocolate, ice cream. Now that I have been at this for so long my entire way of eating/outlook on food has changed and I get a lot of satisfaction from being able to satisfy my cravings with healthier versions of the junk that I used to eat.

best of luck to you! :smile:
  • madamstn
    madamstn Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    It is a way of life and all about making better choices. I just ask myself "is it worth it" after I spent 1.5 hrs at the gym this morning ! :) I find that I am asking myself that question less and less. Push hard in the beginning and it will become a way of life later in your journey. Stay motivated and strong :) But really, who am I to say, only 3.5 months into this new lifestyle myself.
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    I gave up pop cold turkey. That's what worked for me. I used to drink 6-7 cans of Coke a day, now it tastes like pure sugar to me.
  • peopletalk
    peopletalk Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    if it's really that hard, just try cutting down. like have a bowl of chips but that's it. and make sure it fits in your calories!
    eventually, you'll ween yourself off it, and you'll start feeling better about the choices being made :)

as for me, i don't have chips or pop ever. i know once i start, it's hard to stop. so it's easier just not having them for me.
    as for pop, i never drank it anyway. so i'm pretty thankful for that.
  • debralekicsummers
    debralekicsummers Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    try to find something healthier to snack on, maybe start with diet pepsi , i was a huge comfort eater, i was addicted to coca cola and chocolates. You need to sit down and take a serious look at where you are heading if you don't stop, diabetes etc . I found that you need to get to the bottom of the emotional stuff as to why you are doing this. I watched season upon season of the biggest looser and watching those people and the reasons for there weight problems helped me get in touch with myself and my problems. I decided not to diet but to change my eating habits for life. I started slowly by changing the pasta, bread etc for inter-grain , i started forcing myself to eat veggies and salad and i went cold turkey on the coke. I bought low gi juice to help get off the coke.I am off that too now. The chocolate i substituted normal chocolate for dark chocolate 70% . You need to ask yourself every time you binge , is it worth it , go look yourself in the mirror and ask yourself that. There are healthier options out there , you have to get control over your mind. It became easier and easier and i had a few slips and setbacks but the most important thing is to keep dusting yourself off and getting back up. I still have a long way to go and a lot to learn but small things add up to become a big thing. Good luck and you can do it!
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    I was never struck by motivation to lose weight; I just grew tired of my excuses. I started all of this by simply walking my sons to the school 1 mile away that I had been driving them to for years. I did this for ecological reasons, not because I wanted exercise. I never considered doing diets or anything to lose weight, though I was disappointed in my weight. I had more energy now that I was moving around more, but I wondered why I hadn't lost any weight. I thought exercise = weight loss.

I happened to read an article in Fitness magazine that explained calories, something I was ignorant of. I ended up doing a manual version of what MFP does for us. So I kept track in a notebook. I had zero support, just did my own thing. I lost the weight I wanted to lose. I knew I had to change my life, so I cut out everything that triggered my bad habits. It was many months before I allowed them slowly back into my life. But I never went back to the quantity of food I used to consume, and I now make wiser decisions about what I consume. It's been a slow progression. I hope you find your way soon. :smile:
  • TheRunningGuppy
    TheRunningGuppy Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Like Nike says, just do it. That is what I had to do. Do it, whether I felt like it or not. Measure that food out, weigh it, make sure you're eating the right portions. Go out and take walk, take a run, take a bike ride. 4 months and 35 lbs lighter, and it's just a lifestyle now. I think that is the key, don't "diet". Change your lifestyle, and you will be so much happier. I changed my life in January, and living in Western Washington State, it rains, a lot. But I got out there and took walks (92 miles walked in Jan & Feb). It's a choice, and when you're ready, you'll choose it.
  • stephaniemejia1671
    stephaniemejia1671 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Hi, In my case, I bought better snacks, the baked chips to start with that came in the small individual bags and the single serve snack items. I switched from soda to water and bought a liquid water enhancer. All these items have helped me understand how to eat better and what I can actually do without. Give yourself time, it's work and dedication - not magic. You'll be ok.
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    you titled this "when will it hit me" Many of us never have an 'ah ha' moment where we make a change and never go back. Some do, some Decide and Refuse to give up, which is great! Many others, like myself, have to keep making the changes and make the effort for the workout and better eating and Then it becomes habit and the habits become bigger and then you Crave the GOOD and the Exercise.

There will still be birthdays with ice cream and cake, but more days are about good fruits, vegetables and meats versus chips, pop and greasy fries.

Some days I see my husband munching away on chips and honestly, it looks Gross...... it smells good, but it Looks gross, and it looks worse once its inside the body.... making that mental switch has helped.... no mindless chip eating, but I still have some on occassion. :)

Feel free to add me if you'd like
  • zoodocgirl
    zoodocgirl Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Brand new here, but I found that my soda habit was really about the carbonation. I'm not a huge fan of still water but I feel just as satisfied with sparkling water as I did with soda/diet soda. I bought myself a Soda Stream and haven't looked back! I love it. I drink 1-2 liters daily now, without flavor or just with a squeeze of lime. I love that i don't have to throw away so much waste, either. They do also make their own soda flavorings, which are somewhat less evil than commercial soda (sugar vs HFCS; far fewer calories also, natural flavors) if you really need a fix once in awhile.

Also remember not to put too much pressure on yourself. "NO XYZ FOREVER" is a big rule to live up to. Taking each eating and health decision one at a time is much more attainable. When a temptation hits, stop yourself and think, "Is this the decision I want to make right now? How will I feel in 5 minutes? 10 minutes? An hour? What are some other options and how will I feel if I choose those?" That often (not always, but often) helps me make a better choice and I never regret it.