anyone cut out alcohol completely to lose more weight?

Options

Replies

• mstrickland9
    mstrickland9 Posts: 102
    Options
    Yes, I cut alcohol out of my diet and noticed a difference immediatly.. Alcohol is worse than just the calories it contains for many reasons. One, it almost immediatly turns to sugar, so if you're not doing anything, it will likey just go right to fat. The high calorie content contains no nutrients, so you're swapping calories and getting no nutrients out of it. And finally, as we all know, our inibitions go way down after a drink or two, and it is really easy to justify snacking (cheese goes so nicely with wine) that before we know it, we've eaten more than intended. Finally, it makes you retain water, so you're "puffy" in the face, and your whole body is swollen.

I think if you're really serious, cut it out of your regular diet, and have it for special occasions only, like a party or weekend BBQ.

If I'm going to consume over 150 calories (roughly the amount in a glass of red wine) I would rather have something my body wants and can use in my next work out. And I don't know about you, but I never really had just one glass of wine. ;)

Yes, wink wink, we always say one glass and it never really is, is it! :laugh:
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I have cut down, but more so to prevent migraines than to lose weight. I won't cut it out completely, because there's no way I'll live the rest of my life without drinking! I plan on drinking a ****ton tomorrow night, as a matter of fact...
  • yankee_grl
    yankee_grl Posts: 27
    Options
    Yes, I cut alcohol out of my diet and noticed a difference immediatly.. Alcohol is worse than just the calories it contains for many reasons. One, it almost immediatly turns to sugar, so if you're not doing anything, it will likey just go right to fat. The high calorie content contains no nutrients, so you're swapping calories and getting no nutrients out of it. And finally, as we all know, our inibitions go way down after a drink or two, and it is really easy to justify snacking (cheese goes so nicely with wine) that before we know it, we've eaten more than intended. Finally, it makes you retain water, so you're "puffy" in the face, and your whole body is swollen.

I think if you're really serious, cut it out of your regular diet, and have it for special occasions only, like a party or weekend BBQ.

If I'm going to consume over 150 calories (roughly the amount in a glass of red wine) I would rather have something my body wants and can use in my next work out. And I don't know about you, but I never really had just one glass of wine. ;)

Yes, wink wink, we always say one glass and it never really is, is it! :laugh:

HA! I drink only one glass. It's one seriously large diva glass. I work my upper arms while lifting it :)

I have given up drinking during the week and allow for one or two on the weekend. I have been drinking herbal tea in the evenings instead of my usual glass of wine. I power walk in the evenings to relieve the stress from my day. I feel so much better and it is much easier to wake up in the morning to work out.
  • sunshyncatra
    sunshyncatra Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    I think cutting anything out completely is setting yourself up to fail.

In terms of alcohol? No, this is not the same as cutting out food. Unless your dependant upon it how can you equate this?

I cut it out not for weight loss but bc it interferes with my goals. I have a drink here or there over the span of a few months, but weekly outings are not my thing. I do see people struggling to lose the same weight they have been trying to lose for 6 months and this is an area they refuse to change. Alcohol made me feel sluggish, dehydrated me and if I was hungover it interfered with my workouts and eating. Not worth it in my opinion.

Yes, I agree with you completely. Everything in moderation, and making the "bad" things an occasional treat is best.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

Alcohol also decreases testosterone levels for up to 24 hours making it impossible for your body to repair or build lean muscle (yes, even for women!). People who drink on a regular basis (more than twice a week) tend to carry a lot less muscle and more fat regardless of how hard they weight train or exercise in general. Even people with small amounts of body fat will not see as much muscle definition. There are other causes for lack of muscle, of course, but this can be a big one.

Really, the old time stongmen and bodybuilders drank everyday. I used to drink 4-5 nights per week, tell me again how it was impossible for me to build muscle?
  • KathreneW
    KathreneW Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I didn't @ first, but I am just not loosing weight as fast as I should be. I am on day 4 with out any, and like another lady said I usually drink 3-4 glasses of wine each evening (budgeting my calories for those glasses). Day 4 without & I am already down 2lbs, and my stomach seems less bloated. I am going to keep at it, and perhaps just allow myself to have a glass or two on the weekend as my 'cheat meal' . Good luck to you all on your journey.
    Add me if you wish! :)
  • cohalo
    cohalo Posts: 2
    Options
    I admit I like my wine at night too, and I know it has caused me to gain a pound a week since last november. I am going to limit
    my intake as well, and maybe just too a bbq over the weekend. I was just prescribed phentermine that I am going to start tomorrow to help aide me in my weight loss in addition to getting out and walking. With as big as I am walking is really my only
    way to get any excercise at this time. I am very interested in learning more food combining recipes but cannot seem to find any. Does anyone else do food combining?
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Didn't cut it out; just limited it to two days a year (my birthday and New Years).
  • Jasmine_James
    Jasmine_James Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I do believe it stalls weight loss -- but only temporarily as your body uses it for energy. I cut it out completely for 6 weeks and then 4 weeks earlier this year. I didn't lose enough as a result to make it worthwhile. So now, I limit it to one or two glasses of wine just one night a week. I do see my weight loss stall for 24-48 hours after that, but it's worth it to me.

Everyone is different, but for me, cutting down the carbs and focusing on real foods (vegetables, some meat, a little dairy) works really well. So you might try a different approach from what you have been doing (carbs have been your highest macro).
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I've thought about it.

Then I open a bottle of wine and laugh and laugh...

yes!
  • marhattap
    marhattap Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Bump! Nice Facts!
    *Read below, maybe this will help answer your question, I was given this in a weight loss seminar that I tool last year*

When it comes to alcohol, the biggest question I get is "what is the best drink to have calorie-wise if you are watching your weight.?".
    The tricky thing is that caloric content isn't the only thing to consider. Light beer, a 5 oz. glass of wine (yeah right), or a shot of liquor has a mere 150 calories or less. Not too bad right? But here are some other things to consider.....

Successful weight loss is all about keeping your body in "fat burning mode". A car engine only has gas to use for fuel, but your body on the other hand can draw from a number of sources such as carbohydrates, fat, protein, and ACETATE. The source of fuel it chooses largely depends on its availability. So let's say you have a few drinks ...
    Alcohol is converted in the liver to a substance called acetate - a premium choice of fuel for the body. Therefore even a small amount of alcohol causes a sharp rise in acetate and puts the breaks on fat burning/fat loss. This is very similar to how your body reacts to sugar and simple carbohydrates. The body uses these preferred sources for fuel, and fat gets pushed to the back of the line - exactly what you DON'T want when trying to lose weight/body fat.

Alcohol also decreases testosterone levels for up to 24 hours making it impossible for your body to repair or build lean muscle (yes, even for women!). People who drink on a regular basis (more than twice a week) tend to carry a lot less muscle and more fat regardless of how hard they weight train or exercise in general. Even people with small amounts of body fat will not see as much muscle definition. There are other causes for lack of muscle, of course, but this can be a big one.

Alcohol increases your appetite and decreases your resolve to be good and not overindulge. And although we think it will help us relax, sleep more, and feel better, it actually interrupts sleep patterns, and over time can cause anxiety and depression. You see the vicious cycle there?

So bottom line, if you are serious about feeling better, losing weight, and/or seeing some of that lean muscle show through, skip the alcohol or limit it to one or two drinks ONCE a week or on the weekend - not every day.
    If that truly is a challenge for you, at least for a short time, you might need to ask yourself some tough questions.

Find another way to unwind and relax. Re-define your fun!
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    I cut it out completely while I was trying to lose. Drinking your calories always makes things harder on you even if you are well behaved. Save your calories for food.
  • spetermann190
    spetermann190 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I think would make huge difference ... But I can't get excited enough about losing quicker to do it .... I'd rather lift harder and longer ... Maybe take longer to get where want but not such a complete trade off :/
  • luckyjuls
    luckyjuls Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I've read studies (can't find them now) about how one glass of wine a day is beneficial but once you go over that it starts becoming detrimental and impeding the beneficial products of the wine.

As far as alcohol calories, I recently read that alcohol is utilized by the body quicker than proteins and fat and therefore your body is using that energy immediately instead of the kind from fat, which is the aim of calorie deficit.

Lastly, when my dad cut out alcohol when he was diagnosed with diabetes, he lost a TON of weight. And he was a vodka drinker.
  • SmartWhatever
    SmartWhatever Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I've thought about it.

Then I open a bottle of wine and laugh and laugh...

Yes! Glad I'm not the only one!!

I'm with you guys. Wheres the corkscrew???
    **edited for spelling.... (hic)
  • Capt_Inzane
    Capt_Inzane Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I just posted in the Food section how I haven't had an alcohol in a week. I feel better than I have in a very long time.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/977833-alcohol-free

I don't feel bloated, hung over, dry, and so many other internal feelings. I read where alcohol can lower your testosterone which can lead to fat cells being kept. Nights where I'd get drunk and overeat and feel so guilty the next day and it was just a vicious cycle.

While some may say a glass of wine a day is good unfortunately I can't do that right now. My desire for alcohol doesn't allow me to limit or control myself so I found its just better not to have any at all.

I'll continue to drink socially just not binge drink at the house by myself. Nothing wrong with alcohol I just can't have it by myself.
  • Mistyfied_MD
    Mistyfied_MD Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    To be honest, no, I haven't, in fact I drink on a near-daily basis. I do include those calories in my diary though, forcing myself to be accountable for it.

Since I was put on metformin in February though, my desire to drink is much lower than it was. Although my overall consumption has gone down in recent years, the metformin reduced it drastically. It's rare that I have more than a beer or one or two glasses of wine.
  • chandratro
    chandratro Posts: 12
    Options
    not completely - but cut it down to 2 drinks every three weeks or so
  • finallydetermined
    finallydetermined Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    *Read below, maybe this will help answer your question, I was given this in a weight loss seminar that I tool last year*

When it comes to alcohol, the biggest question I get is "what is the best drink to have calorie-wise if you are watching your weight.?".
    The tricky thing is that caloric content isn't the only thing to consider. Light beer, a 5 oz. glass of wine (yeah right), or a shot of liquor has a mere 150 calories or less. Not too bad right? But here are some other things to consider.....

Successful weight loss is all about keeping your body in "fat burning mode". A car engine only has gas to use for fuel, but your body on the other hand can draw from a number of sources such as carbohydrates, fat, protein, and ACETATE. The source of fuel it chooses largely depends on its availability. So let's say you have a few drinks ...
    Alcohol is converted in the liver to a substance called acetate - a premium choice of fuel for the body. Therefore even a small amount of alcohol causes a sharp rise in acetate and puts the breaks on fat burning/fat loss. This is very similar to how your body reacts to sugar and simple carbohydrates. The body uses these preferred sources for fuel, and fat gets pushed to the back of the line - exactly what you DON'T want when trying to lose weight/body fat.

Alcohol increases your appetite and decreases your resolve to be good and not overindulge. And although we think it will help us relax, sleep more, and feel better, it actually interrupts sleep patterns, and over time can cause anxiety and depression. You see the vicious cycle there?

So bottom line, if you are serious about feeling better, losing weight, and/or seeing some of that lean muscle show through, skip the alcohol or limit it to one or two drinks ONCE a week or on the weekend - not every day.
    If that truly is a challenge for you, at least for a short time, you might need to ask yourself some tough questions.

Find another way to unwind and relax. Re-define your fun!

My trainer would hug you for this explanation! when I started with my trainer I stopped drinking for a good month and the weight came off easier than when I do drink. I was actually thinking about abstaining completely until the end of May and see if it makes a difference
  • goexpos
    goexpos Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I quit drinking any alcohol over 18 months ago at the same time I decided to lose weight and get back into shape. I've lost over 30 pounds (SW 170 CW 139). Was a huge part of my lifestyle change and I dont miss it at all. I also quit drinking any juice - I eat the whole fruit now and drink plenty of water. but I still love my dark chocolate :-)