Kid Lunches

Options
I am a SAHM and do in-home daycare for several additional kids each day. As my husband and I have changed our lifestyles and been losing weight this year, our kids are adapting very well along with us. DH and I have lost nearly 75lbs between us to date :) One of my biggest NSVs is offering my kids, and my daycare kids, healthier options. I find it's not hard to offer them reasonably healthy breakfasts. We do a lot of cold cereal, oatmeal, yogurt and fruit. I'm satisfied with this.

But lunches are harder for me. The kids like your typical pre-school stuff: PB&J, hot dogs, mac n cheese, chicken nuggets etc. As a result, this is pretty common for their lunches, with the big difference being what I feed them on the side. Now instead of nuggets & fries, they may get nuggets, apple slices and string cheese. I don't often provide veggies for the kids, because they're all so particular about which veggies they will/won't eat, and I feel like that's a battle for their parents to fight. But I like to provide them with a fruit and often some cheese or yogurt on the side.

What I'm wondering is, what are some less-processed options you find that your kids like? The kids I feed range in age from 22 months to 6 years old. Easy is better (hence the nugget/hotdog/sandwich variety my kids often get). Like I said, I'd just really like to provide them with some less-processed, slightly healthier options, even if only a couple times a week. I have no problem with the kids eating a hot dog on occasion, but I'm in need of some healthy variety. Thanks!

Replies

• insectt
    insectt Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My daughter is 10 and of Jan 2013 we started a whole foods and organic lifestyle. It was and still is and not without battles but as a parent you stick to your guns no matter the tantrums.

Some examples for lunch:
    almond butter/raw honey sandwhich on whole wheat
    smashed cauliflaur (resembles mashed potatoes)
    low fat cottage cheese

chocolate almond milk/strawberry/banana smoothie
    spinach salad topped with hard boiled egg/plain shrimp or chicken/olives (or veggies your children do like) and extra virgian olive oil/vinegar

also google healthy recipes for kids. Lots of inspiration out there!
  • JennBrenn81
    JennBrenn81 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I also am a sahm and I'm a licensed provider! I also do not do much veg as the kids do not eat it. In the last two weeks we just started a better diet for all. I am having some lunch problems as well, kids are picky!
    Last week we did pb&j on wheat
    Turkey and cheese on wheat grilled
    Hot dogs (no Mac and cheese as usual)
    From there I was really stuck. I'm so use to grabbing something out of the freezer and fixing it. My snacks include fresh fruit(which I also serve with lunch) yogurt, cheese, nuts, raisins, fresh fruit smoothies, and trail mix. No more cookies! I can't wait to hear more quick ideas!