Regarding 'One Rep Max'

Options
Hey folks,

I went to the gym the other day to test my ORM. I have some questions about the methods:

1. I started with light weights, then worked my way up until I couldn't lift even once.
Is this how one is supposed to do this??

2. On the squat, I don't know if I include my body weight with the weight of the......weights.
without calculating my body weight, I lifted 160lbs; WITH my body weight, I lifted 390lbs. lol

Thank you to ANYONE who is going to answer.

Replies

• obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    I don't know the answer to your first question, but you don't include bodyweight
  • SJ46
    SJ46 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I don't know much about actually doing your 1RM but this website is interesting: http://www.strstd.com/

I agree with obsidianwings that you do not include your bodyweight when calculating the weight you lift when squatting, it is just the bar + plates.
  • JamesDanek
    JamesDanek Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    The Problem with your method for measuring 1RM is that you are potentially fatiguing yourself before you get to what you can actually lift which means your max is probably higher than you got with your method.

1RM can be calculated based on the number of reps done at a more manageable weight. There are plenty of resources online to do this. The Biggest risk trying to measure is your method is when you fail you risk injuring yourself.

Everyone else is right though you don't count BW when lifting... its cheating! :-)
  • n3ver3nder
    n3ver3nder Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Testing your one rep max - warm up as you normally would for squats, then add weight to the bar in sensible increments i.e start higher then taper to smaller increments when it gets harder. Don't fatigue yourself with the warm up.

For example, I know I can squat 160kgx5 so this is what I'd do

20 x 5 x2
    40 x 5
    80 x 3
    120 x 2
    160 x 1
    170 x 1
    175 x 1 Depending on how this goes, either;
    177.5 x 1
    or 180 x 1 (180 is my calculated 1RM)

*IF* if hit 180 x 1, I would continue with the smallest increments I could, which in my case is 2.5kg jumps.

Make sure you know how to bail a technique, and have your safeties in the rack/cage at the correct height. Failing a lift should be relatively risk free if you take the proper precautions.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    When testing your max, you don't want to miss a weight.
    again, DO NOT MISS weights. It's better to hit 150 pounds and think "I had 5 more" than to go for 160 and get pinned.

You can use calculators to estimate a 1RM, but the most accurate way to know what your max is would be to actually work up to a 1RM.

You went about it the right way. Do a proper warmup, then stick to fairly low reps while working up to a max single.
    Always have a spotter around for max attempts, if you don't have a training partner, just ask someone in the gym.

On the squat, you only count what is on the bar.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't plan on doing it all in one go if you are establishing your 1RM levels for the first time. Work up to a heavy single the way that you did on one session, and then you have a solid ballpark. In a week or so, try again but this time warm up to that weight a little more efficiently rather than going up with repeated attempts at tiny increments. OR, simply use that as your "programming" 1RM and train based off of it for a couple of months (I assume that is why you are testing your max?) and then test again. There is nothing wrong with training based on a max that is a little lower than your true capacity.

For any barbell lift, the amount that you "count" in the lift is only the weight that you pick up, eg the bar and plates.
  • Loftearmen
    Loftearmen Posts: 380
    Options
    Testing your one rep max - warm up as you normally would for squats, then add weight to the bar in sensible increments i.e start higher then taper to smaller increments when it gets harder. Don't fatigue yourself with the warm up.

For example, I know I can squat 160kgx5 so this is what I'd do

20 x 5 x2
    40 x 5
    80 x 3
    120 x 2
    160 x 1
    170 x 1
    175 x 1 Depending on how this goes, either;
    177.5 x 1
    or 180 x 1 (180 is my calculated 1RM)

*IF* if hit 180 x 1, I would continue with the smallest increments I could, which in my case is 2.5kg jumps.

Make sure you know how to bail a technique, and have your safeties in the rack/cage at the correct height. Failing a lift should be relatively risk free if you take the proper precautions.

This is basically right. The only thing I would change is that you don't want to hit more than 3 attempts above 90% of your 1RM so the small increments need to be limited to some extent. A max for a person who knows they can deadlift 300lbs should look something like this:

135x5
    225x3
    300x1
    315x1 (depending on how that feels)
    320-330x1

You don't want to take tiny steps with your low weights. You need to cut the fat or you won't hit a true 1RM because you'll be fatigued by the time you get to the heavier weights. You want to warm up enough that you don't get injured but not any more than that.
  • Loftearmen
    Loftearmen Posts: 380
    Options
    The Problem with your method for measuring 1RM is that you are potentially fatiguing yourself before you get to what you can actually lift which means your max is probably higher than you got with your method.

1RM can be calculated based on the number of reps done at a more manageable weight. There are plenty of resources online to do this. The Biggest risk trying to measure is your method is when you fail you risk injuring yourself.

Everyone else is right though you don't count BW when lifting... its cheating! :-)

Here's the formula for calculating 1RM:

weightxrepsx.0333+weight=estimated 1RM

The fewer reps in your rep max, the more accurate the formula will be. For example, if someone squatted 200lbs for 5 reps:

200x5x.0333+200=Est 1RM
    233=Est 1RM
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    You don't want to take tiny steps with your low weights. You need to cut the fat or you won't hit a true 1RM because you'll be fatigued by the time you get to the heavier weights. You want to warm up enough that you don't get injured but not any more than that.

This is worded much better than my attempt. I will generally do 8 reps at 50% of my goal attempt, then 3-4 at around 70%, and then a double at about 80-85%, then take about 5 minutes rest before I go for it. I warm up a bit leaner for deadlifts just because pulling heavy cooks my CNS pretty quickly.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Unless you have trained and have some idea of how to lift at 1-2 RM, I don't know that actually doing a "1 RM" lift is going to be that accurate. I have found that "prediction" protocols--e.g. 5-8 reps-- are more than accurate enough for the average person--in fact, probably more accurate since the person is usually more comfortable with their form at the lower weighs.

Someone who actually needs to know the precise number is usually knowledgeable and experienced enough to get it, but most people don't need that level of precision.
  • tsmortimer
    tsmortimer Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks folks!

Will read the posts and follow up. Been away for a few days!
  • tsmortimer
    tsmortimer Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you not only for answering, but for encouraging. I appreciate that!

I definitely had a spotter with me, and I'm a stickler for using the best form to my knowledge - I refuse to sacrifice my safety. I'm not testing my ORM for my ego.

I also worded my question wrong - I was able to perform one final squat at 160lbs, and I didn't go above that. This was after a warm up (though I will incorporate some of the warm up tips in this thread!).

Thanks, folks!
    When testing your max, you don't want to miss a weight.
    again, DO NOT MISS weights. It's better to hit 150 pounds and think "I had 5 more" than to go for 160 and get pinned.

You can use calculators to estimate a 1RM, but the most accurate way to know what your max is would be to actually work up to a 1RM.

You went about it the right way. Do a proper warmup, then stick to fairly low reps while working up to a max single.
    Always have a spotter around for max attempts, if you don't have a training partner, just ask someone in the gym.

On the squat, you only count what is on the bar.