Cardio suggestions for a complete noob?

Options
Hey everyone. I am a 25 year old girl, struggling to establish a workout that works for me. I am VERY out of shape. I run out of breath very fast if I try to jog and I can't do long workouts. I actually could not breathe for half a minute once, back when I was doing this extreme diet(my first year of college, I didn't see a doctor afterwards -___- poor judgement on my part) it never happened again but I could not work out for long after that event. I can't exactly afford healthcare and my weight gain adds a lot more strain on that.
So shortly, can you suggest some very low impact stuff that I can maybe try at home? I have no access to weights, I can't get a gym membership(unemployed to top everything off) or buy equipment. A link to a website, a youtube video, I am willing to try it if it sounds like something safe. Please help!

Replies

• Amandatorie
    Amandatorie Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Why not just start with some walking? If you live in an unsafe area, there are some "walking in place" DVD's out there that I know people like. You can easily just keep increasing the distance of your walks, and/or the speed of your walks, until you can eventually build up to running. The Couch to 5K program is great once you're comfortable walking for a few miles.
  • dore0021
    dore0021 Posts: 137
    Options
    Walk, walk, walk. Up your pace when you can. Walk longer distance for a challenge. Just walk.
  • banana_butterfly
    banana_butterfly Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I actually started walking about a year ago, I walk, on average, an hour a day, I try to walk faster but I have a walking companion that doesn't really go with my pace(a 4 year old dog), he stops and sometimes he runs and drags me behind him. I can keep up if he runs just for a minute, but then I'm pooped out. I guess I can go on solitary fast walks and go faster and faster though.
  • fitz0523
    fitz0523 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Here is the link to a walking at home workout. Youtube is full of them and this will be a great start for you.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBgB_cqDiXs

Also, skinnyms is a great beginner diet/fitness website to check out as well. The diet aspect of the site is not really dieting, but making little changes to your diet toward a healthier lifestyle.