In search of a waist - what works?

Options
Agghhh

I'm freaking out. Measured myself for the first time without sucking in my belly.
OMG - My so called waist measured as much as my hips and more than my ribcage - just under bust.

There's no way I'm more than 20 pounds over a good weight for me - 5'7" and 140 pounds.

What has worked for you to trim the belly and firm up?

Replies

• Keiras_Mom
    Keiras_Mom Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I'm interested too. Subbing!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Losing weight and body fat is the only way to get a smaller waist.

This is accomplished through a calorie deficit. You should aim for about 0.5lb/week if you only have 20lbs to lose.

Sit ups, crunches, etc can be good for core strength, but they won't give you abs or spot reduce your fat. Your best bet would be to do full body strength training to help you lose weight/fat all over.
  • aniawiecek
    aniawiecek Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I love to know that too!
  • RAURARIKES
    RAURARIKES Posts: 41
    Options
    running+sprinting. (and obv less processed carbs, soda, blah bllah. lots of water)
  • danamariers
    danamariers Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I cut out grains/starch (roughly 85% of the time i don't eat the stuff but do allow for a treat once a week,, assuming a normal week of eating), limit dairy, and play with a weighted hula hoop or dance :)
  • ukgirly01
    ukgirly01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Clean eating mainly but saying that ab exercises have changed my shape if not my weight, I do planks, front and side, moving to on a Swiss ball, plate twists, roll outs etc that and other lifting stuff has definitely changed my shape.
  • staceypunk
    staceypunk Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Try Jillian Micheal's 30 Day Shred. I don't know what your fitness level is but it's short and if you look at pics from people who have done it their waistlines are always smaller (as was mine). Good luck!
  • Jwoodward213
    Jwoodward213 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I keep looking at my belly and feel sad, but then when I am reminded of what I need to do by looking at these posts I get encouraged to step into action and do the right thing. thanks
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

This is accomplished through a calorie deficit. You should aim for about 0.5lb/week if you only have 20lbs to lose.

Sit ups, crunches, etc can be good for core strength, but they won't give you abs or spot reduce your fat. Your best bet would be to do full body strength training to help you lose weight/fat all over.

Nothing more needs to be said.
  • bsix3
    bsix3 Posts: 291
    Options
    it's gonna take determination, hard work and dedication. In any order. #BattleMode
  • FitandFab33
    FitandFab33 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Heavy lifting has done wonders for my waist.. smaller, tighter etc.. My legs/butt aren't suffering either.

Like PPs, a calorie deficit = dropping fat and that means a more visible lean body mass (reveal a natural waist).
  • hungryhobbit1
    hungryhobbit1 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    If you feel like you're happy at your current weight you could also try building some muscle in your lower body, to make your hips stand out from your waist more. Squats and deadlifts are great for the butt.
  • ktliu
    ktliu Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    If you have an Xbox and Kinect. Try the Zumba Core fitness game. Really worked your core. I'm lucky I used that first, The top part of my gut is mostly gone. just the lower pouch is left. But it's a lot smaller. So Zumba works
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    You really just need to be vigilant about keeping track of food and getting your exercise into your day...fat comes off as it wants to, from where it wants! :grumble: Trust me, if I could sculpt it off, I would have a couple of choice places I'd like to contour myself. :blushing:
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

This. There is no such thing as spot reducing. Eat less than you burn, and eventually you will lose everywhere.
  • Nutella91
    Nutella91 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    honestly, i do side bends with 20 lbs dumbbells 3 times a week and i got really pretty waist, take a look at my pics, my tummy was my biggest insecurity before i started side bends!
  • JumpingDog
    JumpingDog Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    First, make sure you are measuring correctly, level and at the true waist. It's at the natural dent when you bend to the side.

How-to-measure-your-natural-waist1.jpg

Then, just more calorie deficit. For a lot of people, belly fat is some of the last to go. Not to mention the fat under your belly fat will probably move first. Bodies like to use fat closer to organs before fat closer to the skin.
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Eat at a deficit and do full-body strength training with compound movements. Squats and deadlifts did wonders for me.