Alternatives to running?

Options
Hello all!

Looking for your input... For the past five weeks I have been following a half marathon training plan and found, to my surprise, that I really enjoy running. Sadly, after a 4 miler on Tuesday, my knees are waving the white flag... I have never had knee trouble before, but time marches on, and I'm older than I was in my competitive athlete days... I do swim as a form of cross training which I will contiune, but I don't know what other activities I can do to achieve the calorie burn of a good long run.

My question for you is, do you have suggestions for a low impact, good cardio workout? I like to push myself and am not afraid to sweat, so bring it on!

Thank you!!
Jennifer

Replies

• mkoff32
    mkoff32 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Hop on a bike! I have a feeling my knees will be waving that flag on me sooner than I'd like. And on that day I will be going out and purchasing a very nice bike.
  • rumplesnat
    rumplesnat Posts: 372
    Options
    Elliptical, for sure! Really kind to the knees as well. I injured both knees as a teen and while running doesn't bother me, I find that biking often does.
  • ktsbell
    ktsbell Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have a friend that has had knee surgery in the past and still has knee issues that prevent her from running. Her trainer has her do a rowing machine instead. The only downside she said is that she has to row a farther distance than she would have had to run. Not sure if that will work, but it's an idea :)
  • Jsteele1219
    Options
    Thanks so much, everyone! Those are all great suggestions and just what I needed! I don't want to loose my momentum/motivation and it is all too fleeting if I don't hold onto it! :happy:
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Age is not what is hurting your knees. Start with your shoes and talk to a physical therapist. Most knee pain from running is from improper use of your hips and glutes being weak and not engaging. Strengthen and work on hip flexibility, engaging your glutes, and your knees will in the long run feel better and last for years. I've had previous knees from injuries as a kid and in high school but run a lot pain free. There is a great book written by a physical therapist called Anatomy for Runners by Jay Dicharry. I'd highly recommend it.
  • fxgs
    fxgs Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    A great piece of equipment that has been around for years but is seldom mentioned today is the Nordic Track Ski machine.
    I picked one up off of Craigslist, basically brand new, for $50. I love working out on it and it has really helped me acheive my goals.
    I use it for my cardio in conjunction with my weight lifting program.