Whey Protien

Options
I decided to have whey protein as my after work out dinner, but than i wondered is whey protein is right for me? Or is it more to be taken after lifting? I have been taking it after two or three hours of kick boxing. is it cool to take whey protein after a huge cardio workout like kick boxing?

Replies

• sailorsgirl86
    Options
    It's cool to have whey protein anytime!
  • jhstroebel
    jhstroebel Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    You would be better off taking a combination of protein and carbohydrates. I tend to use Optimum Nutrition's 2:1:1 product after cardio... or you could just eat some carbs with your protein shake (ideal ratio after cardio is 4g carbs:1 g protein). Chocolate Milk is a good source of this actually.
  • SirBonerFart
    SirBonerFart Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    I would worry less about your macro timing and more about meeting your daily goals
  • jhstroebel
    Options
    Also, its probably better to get your nutrients through solid, clean, wholesome foods and supplement with shakes/powder when you can't meet your goals through your normal eating.
  • ghaleonhd
    ghaleonhd Posts: 23
    Options
    Thank you all! i am trying my best to get all my daily requirements and you're responses have been a big help :)
  • lizfreakinm
    lizfreakinm Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I've been using whey protein for years, especially after long runs or when I do cardio mixed with weights. Personally I think it would be fine to take with any work out where you break a good sweat. However, if it's only a light work out I wouldn't take it. I noticed a difference using it. That's just my 2 cents though.
  • jhstroebel
    Options
    The science behind it is that whey protein is a very fast absorbing protein. Its is particularly good after weight lifting workouts because your muscles need an influx of protein to help start the muscle rebuilding (repair and new muscle tissue growth) processes. The faster digesting, the faster it gets to the muscles to be used. Theres even some people who have suggested drinking the whey protein shake during the workout is beneficial in a weightlifting routine. Your body also needs protein after cardiovascular workouts. Your body needs carbohydrates primarily, but your muscles also take a beating (although far less than during a resistance or weight workout) and need the protein to recover. I have found the 2:1:1, or even adding additional carbohydrates to this mix after a cardio workout is the best form of recovery.