Can I get some help with my macros?

Options
I am still fairly new here, so try not to be too harsh ;)

I'm not sure what I should set my macros at. I'm 5'7, 24 yrs old, female, and 217 lbs with a goal of 160. I usually end up with roughly 55% carbs, 15% fat, and 30% protein. I have no idea if this is on track or not, but I feel like the carb percentage is high.

Also, could I get some suggestions on how to change up my foods to fit the macros I should have?

I really appreciate any help! Thank you in advance.

Replies

• Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I think it is better to set your macro goals based on grams rather than percentages, and to also remember that the goal for fat and protein are actually minimums since you need a certain amount to be healthy, but eating more isn't bad for you at all and won't stop weight loss.

A good rule of thumb is to set your fat goal for 0.35 grams per pound body weight. For you, this would be about 75 grams. Dietary fats do not make you fat, but rather they are needed by the cells of your body to keep you healthy. Also, protein should be about 1 gram per pound of lean body weight. Do you know your approximate body fat percentage? If you do, just multiply your body fat percentage times your weight, then subtract that answer from your weight. This is your lean body weight, and you should eat that many protein grams minimum.

Once you have your minimums for fat and protein grams known, you can go change your goals through the custom feature. Beside the percentages, it shows grams. The percentages will only change by factors of 5%, but you can just set the fat and protein goals as close as possible to what grams you came up. You can then just make the rest of your calories carbs.

Remember, you can eat more than your minimums of fat and protein and it doesn't matter, nor does it matter if you eat less carbs than you set for yourself (which would mean that you are eating more fat and protein). But you should get those minimums for fat to be healthy and for protein to protect your muscle while in a calorie deficit.

I hope this helps and wasn't too confusing.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i aim for 70g fat, 120g of protein and the rest carbs. on 1800 cals that works out at around 25% protein, 30% fat and 45% carbs
  • AnderMama88
    AnderMama88 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thank you both so much! It's going to take a little trial and error, but I'll get the hang of it :)