a little exercise is better then nothing?

Options
I just had a baby 7weeks ago, so im now starting up on the weight loss journey. I am 257.4 pounds. I am thinking I should ease myself into the exercise. is this a good plan? im thinking I am going to do 15 minutes on the wii fit for now. I know its not much but its better then nothing right? I will still be tracking my food intake. 15 minutes made me really tired. I am that out of shape. when should I increase my amount? when 15 minutes no longer tires me out? or should I push it and do 20 minutes next week?

Replies

• faely
    faely Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I just had a baby 7weeks ago, so im now starting up on the weight loss journey. I am 257.4 pounds. I am thinking I should ease myself into the exercise. is this a good plan? im thinking I am going to do 15 minutes on the wii fit for now. I know its not much but its better then nothing right? I will still be tracking my food intake. 15 minutes made me really tired. I am that out of shape. when should I increase my amount? when 15 minutes no longer tires me out? or should I push it and do 20 minutes next week?

Congratulations mama!!

You should check with your doctor as to your goals and limitations : )
  • RecoveringToHealthy
    RecoveringToHealthy Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I think you're right, start it slowly! Try to make a plan on how to increase the exercise in the future. It's more likely that you'll exercise if you have a plan you can stick to.

Maybe try 15 minutes one week, and 20 the next. If it makes you too exhausted, try 17 minutes. Reward yourself when you break your personal record. Be proud of what you do! :happy:

Maybe try to add a slow walk soon! It doesn't have to be a long one. But if you can walk for 15 minutes, that's great. It's good to get some fresh air too :smile:
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    http://www.stumptuous.com/postpartum-fitness

An excellent article on getting back into a fitness groove postpartum.
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the new baby! Get clearance from your doctor before beginning any exercises. Walking is probably one of the best things that you could do for your body right now. Start with slow short distances and work your way up. Concentrate mostly on your little one and take it easy for a while mama! :flowerforyou:
  • abbyrae1
    abbyrae1 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Check with your doctor first! Once you are cleared to workout, make sure you go at your own pace. I wouldn't necessarily put a time constraint on it, but listen to your body. if you are exhausted and out of breath after 15 minutes then stop, if you feel like you could continue for a bit longer, try that.
    Congrats on the baby!
  • KtotheD78
    KtotheD78 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I think you should do what you WANT to do, because yes - SOMEthing IS better than nothing.
    You will be surprised, once you start exercising, you will want to do more.
    Always push your self a few extra minutes because chances are, if you're not feeling it, you're not doing much.
  • fiferize
    fiferize Posts: 141
    Options
    yes check with your doctor. I haven't had a baby in 21 years and I weigh the same as you. but when I started I was 311. Also if you feel okay doing it. Do it! That's my motto! Do what you can and build up to longer times or and more reps etc. Don't try to do it all at once!
  • allyjoy83
    allyjoy83 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Honestly, it depends on the type of person you are. Are you the type of person that maxes out every time you work out? Or are you more of a "go through the motions" kind of person. If you're the former, then just let your body tell you when you're ready to do more. If you're the latter, then push yourself to do more each day. It may not be an increase in time at first, but an increase in intensity and then an increase in time. If you're a planner, set a timetable up with realistic goals of what you want to achieve and by when, and then log your progress. Once you get the ball rolling, you will find yourself building momentum in motivation and in your abilities. But good on you to motivate yourself to start! Keep pushing yourself. :)
  • dkgoetz
    dkgoetz Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    You're right - a little is better than nothing at all! Take it slow, listen to your body, don't push yourself. You can always add in more exercise later.

When I started I set small goals and gradually increased - first I decided to walk a mile, then after a few times I upped it to two miles, three, etc.

Good luck, and congrats on the new baby :]
  • Mummy2Corey
    Mummy2Corey Posts: 23
    Options

Congratulations mama!!

You should check with your doctor as to your goals and limitations : )

^^ This :)

You need to give your body time to fully recover hun so please don't do too much too fast, speak to your doctor but also you know your body better than anyone else and if its too much then drop it down a little - dont forget that caring for a 7 week old baby will help tire you out even more when exercising as unless he/she sleeps through you can't be getting that much rest.

Ease yourself into it when you feel ready physically & emotionally but don't forget to let your body rest & heal from having a baby first :)

Huge congratulations to you hun (and kudos for even thinking about losing the weight so soon, it didn't enter my mind until about 3-4 months & doubt it would have even if I hadn't 'misaligned something' as I had been told!) xx
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    First off, congratulations on the baby!

Secondly, after you get clearance from your Dr. I think it's all about personal preference and listening to your body. I joined the gym at 252 lbs, and gave it my all for an hour 5X a week. If I felt tired, than I would slow down and if that didn't work than I would wrap up my workout for the day. Try walking, maybe at a track? That way, if you get tired after 2 laps, then you can call it a day, if you can go further than keep walkin'!

Good luck!
  • Sparlingo
    Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    After you've checked with your doctor, ease into it and listen to your body. I was surprised after I had my baby girl as to how quickly I was able to increase my efforts with exercise.

The key (at least for me) was exercising *frequently* to the best of my ability. So, I did what I could about 5x a week. That amount of effort that I could give gradually got better and better.

Congrats on your little one! Enjoy figuring out how to balance family and health. It is a balance worth maintaining!
  • yankee_grl
    yankee_grl Posts: 27
    Options
    Congratulations on the new baby! I agree with the posters above. Check with your doctor before you do anything. Take it slow. Your body will be going through alot of changes over the next several weeks. Once cleared by the doctor, I think walking is a good way to start easing into exercise. And the bonus to that is you can take that sweet little one with you.
  • jbirkett7
    jbirkett7 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Congratulations. I second the previous posters who mention getting the all clear from your doctor before you do major exercise. I started walking every day while I was on maternity leave little by little with my bub in the stroller. At first I could only go around the block but everyday got easier and I could go longer and longer. After my 6week appointment I got the all clear from my ob and started the C25K program (very slow on the jogging portions). It took me a lot longer than 9 weeks to finish it (it was more like 13 in the end for me), but it was really a great kind of step up for me. My problem of course is that as soon as I finished C25k I fell off the wagon for about 4 months, so had to restart C25k in the new year at 9 months pp from wk 1. But this time I knew that could be an issue so was ready at the end to start 2 new programs Hal Higdon's novice 10k program 3 days a week and the 30DS on 3 other days that I don't run.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Sure. You have to start somewhere. A little exercise that you can keep up and not hurt yourself doing is much better than none or than harming yourself overdoing it. As has already been suggested, you may want to check with your doctor first to see if there is anything in particular you should be cautious about.
    When I first started, I promised myself at least 5 minutes of exercise every day. I slowly added a minute to my daily minimum. At about 15 minutes I allowed myself one day off a week. Now I'm up to a minimum of 30 minutes 5 days a week. (Many days it's more. For example, yesterday it was over 90 minutes. I didn't count it all since some of it was very light, but over an hour of serious exercise.) Keeping the daily minimum low made it more easily achievable, so it could become a habit and a regular part of my new lifestyle. I feel much better these days and usually do extra because I want to do it.
    Another piece of advice... find a couple of different exercises you can enjoy. And try new ones occasionally.
    Best wishes with your new, improved life!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the baby and I agree with others that you should consult your doctor before starting any exercise regimen.

I would also advise sitting down and working through some fitness goals...by fitness goals I mean goals that go beyond just calories burned or weight loss. Here's a little secret...you can actually lose weight with no exercise whatsoever. Weight loss happens with a calorie deficit...the most efficient way of creating a calorie deficit is through your diet. With MFP you're actually supposed to eat back your exercise calories because exercise is not accounted for in your NEAT (Non Exercise Activity Thermogenesis) which is what MFP uses to calculate your calorie goal...so exercise is extra.

Of course, I recommend that you do exercise...it takes the combination of both diet and exercise to realize true health. But I can't emphasize enough how beneficial it is to set fitness goals that are independent of your weight loss goals. When I figured out, diet for weight control and exercise for fitness, it opened up a whole new world for me in my workouts and I stopped obsessing about calorie burns, etc.