Seeking Diabetes Information

Options
jkestens63
jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
My older sister has recently been diagnosed with Diabetes (Type II) I would like to learn more about it, particulary dietary management since I do most of food preparation. Does anyone have any reccomendations for online resources/websites or books/cookbooks that might help me help her??

Thank you!

Replies

• Arkhos
    Arkhos Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I don't have a lot to offer. First I saw that you lost 269 lbs and WOW!!!!!! That is so inspiring!!! I was diagnosed with Type 2 a few years. Over the last 9 months through diet and exercise I have reduced my A1C from 6.9 (diabetic) to 5.6 (normal). Not sure if your sister has a weight issue, but THIS is the best thing she can do for herself! And I'm still 396lbs.

All the best and I'm sure others have more information on foods!
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    unfortunately no. You would think i'd know more because my mother, brother and aunt all have it but i don't now of any particular online source for info
  • docssj
    docssj Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    My older sister has recently been diagnosed with Diabetes (Type II) I would like to learn more about it, particulary dietary management since I do most of food preparation. Does anyone have any reccomendations for online resources/websites or books/cookbooks that might help me help her??

Thank you!

Hey im diabetic also type two
    Is ya sister on diet tablet or insulin pm me ill help if can

S.J
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Here's a good starting point:

http://www.bloodsugar101.com/
  • docssj
    docssj Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    U cd also look on diabetes.co.uk

They have a diabetic recipe book free to download

Hope tht helps
    S.J
  • kenzietate
    kenzietate Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and and am pre-diabetic and insulin resistant. This means that I already need to make the changes before I develope it. I have done a TON of research on this. The biggest thing I have found is though there are major foods you need to avoid every person reacts differently to different foods. There are two diets that have proved to be helpful. The one I follow is the Low-GI diet. (http://www.livestrong.com/low-glycemic-diet/ or http://www.livestrong.com/low-glycemic/) This focuses on cutting out processed carbs/sugar and limiting carbs in general. They have a ton of books and resources related to the lifestyle. It is super easy and you don't feel limited. It is really good for even those who don't have diabetes or similar. I love it and it has been the only thing that keeps me full of energy and losing weight!
  • yallcallmedeb
    yallcallmedeb Posts: 294
    Options
    Your sister should be eligible for nutritional consultation through her insurance. If her current hospitalization is related to diabetes, you should be able to meet with the nutritionist before they discharge her. Good luck!
  • 212ackley
    212ackley Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed a few years ago....best advice is keep carbs and white foods (except cauliflower --LOL) to a minimum and eat 4-6 smaller meals a day. Potatoes, breads and pastas are typically a trigger that will send levels spiking for a bit after ingesting.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    OMG...Just Google, and go to Medical sites and the Diabetes Association. THIS is no place to seek out specific Medical Info. All anyone can give you on here is anecdotal.
  • katekross
    katekross Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Hello! :) I have diabetes as well. I was diagnosed at 22. Honestly, an excellent resource for you and your sister is "Diabetes for Dummies." Any local bookstore will have great resources for you. I have a little handy "bible" I keep with me and its the "Diabetes Carbohydrate and Calorie Counter." Its in my purse, and its is extremely handy for when I am out to eat or at the store, it has a lot of menus in there. Its nice for when I'm on the go and forget a lunch or snack, I can sit in the drive-thru and decide what I want to eat. The fortunate thing is there are a lot of resources, but my Mom is a nurse and always said if the book has been over 3 years since it was published, its no good. Keep that in mind too. There are a lot of buddies on here in the same boat. I would also encourage her to get on MFP as well to start keeping track of those vicious carbs and sugars!
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Pre-diabetic here, so I'm having to adjust my lifestyle to prevent onset of the real deal. It isn't easy, but it is not impossible either. My sugar has been pretty good recently, with only minor changes to my diet. There is virtually nothing a diabetic person cannot eat - but portion control is the key!

Going to see the nutritionist is good advice, and maybe you could go with her, if you do the meal prep. BUT!!! Most diabetes counselling tells you to eat a fairly high carb diet. I found, for me, that the recommended diet was not working, so I cut the carbs even further.

How do I know it wasn't working? I test my blood sugar! And that is something she will have to do. Find what works for her. Test 2 hours after the first bite to find out how a particular meal affects her.

Basically, I avoid processed sugar in anything as much as I can. BUT, I can have a small bowl of ice cream or slice of cake occasionally. I will still eat rice or pasta, but only a small serving. Bread sometimes, but again, not a lot. Regular soda, sweet tea, fruit juices are out.

Go for whole grain products as much as possible, and plenty of veggies.

Eat regularly, and plan on snacks too between meals to help stabilize insulin levels.

Losing weight is critical, if she is overweight. They say that a 10% reduction in body weight can reverse the symptoms (although that didn't work for me :-( ) And exercising! A combination of cardio and resistance training seems to be the best from what I have read.

Another issue might be blood pressure. A diabetic is more likely to have high blood pressure, and that means cutting down on the sodium in the food. Which can make it bland, so plan on cooking with different herbs and spices instead to kick it up a notch.

Good luck!
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone, you have given me some great places to start educating myself so I can be a good support to my sister.