how to stay within daily carb?

lin7604
lin7604 Posts: 2,951 Member
mine is set to 40-30-30 and that gives me 140 carbs a day. How do i stay within that when just my shakeo, fruits and veggies i eat a day bring me to 142? that's not even supper yet... i am struggling with this as i have been told by so many that i really should try to stick to 140 no more as i normally am around 180-200 on a daily basis.

Replies

• JumpingDog
    JumpingDog Posts: 125 Member
    How many grams of carb you need in a day is variable and depends on quite a few factors.
    I have no idea what a shakeo is but I'd wager that's where your carbs are, and fruit. Depends on what and how much fruit you are eating. Carbs from real vegetables are negligible and mostly insoluble. Now if you are counting potatoes as your veggies, that's another source of carbs. Dairy can also be carb-heavy depending on what you have. Grains are of course carb rich. My dairy for yesterday shows that without my lunch of 1 roll of sushi and 4 pieces of nigiri, I would have eaten 20g of carb for the day. With sushi that number is 150g.
    Your dairy is closed though so there's no telling.
  • pluckabee
    pluckabee Posts: 346 Member
    What is shakeo?

I manage to keep my carbs at around 100g while still eating fruits, veggies, rice and bread so I'd be interested to see a typical day and how the carbs are adding up for you.

Are you counting the fibre too? Take fibre away from total carbs to find your net carbs, which is the number you should focus on.
  • snowmoon13
    snowmoon13 Posts: 165 Member
    watching for answers to this... I am vegan and struggle with keeping the carbs and sugars low while getting the calories.needed..

my dairy is open..
  • lin7604
    ahhh net carbs? never thought of that? shakeo is shakeology. a beach body shake ( meal replacement) i do it for breakfast... normally i do a vega one shake in the am but bought shakeology to give it a try. ok i will break down my day today...

breakfast was: shakeology and a banana / 45 grams crarbs
    am snack: del monte tropical fruit /36 carbs
    lunch: snap peas, carrots, 30 g cheese,pickles,nature valley granola bar /33 grams carbs
    dinner : meatloaf and potatoes /41 carbs
    greek yogurt: 18 carbs
    total 173 grams carbs. 20 grams fiber
  • JumpingDog
    JumpingDog Posts: 125 Member
    Bananas are sort of carby but I think they are good for you. The shake doesn't seem like too much carb itself.
    For a mid morning snack you could choose not to have a fruit or a lower carb/sugar fruit. Berries can be good for that but fruits are important. Depends on the fruit you chose, is it in fruit juice or syrup? Fresh will inherently have less. My snack today was a pear, it gave 100 calories but 26g of carb.

For lunch you chose two relative starchy vegetables, both carrots and snap peas are higher than most vegetables in carbs. Both are good for you but maybe swap the snap peas out for something like broccoli, spinach, maybe cauliflower, or asparagus. Were the pickles sweet or dill? Sugar lurks here too. The granola bar is likely filled with honey, corn syrup, starchy grains - these things can be fine in moderation but if you are looking to cut carbs, the granola bar is a good place to start.

For dinner, did your meatloaf have breadcrumbs in it? These could easily be replaced with eggs. The potato is carb heaven and if you don't like how your carb amounts are going this is a safe cut.

As for the yogurt, did it have any added sugar? I think the benefits of protein and more are a good swap for these carbs if there wasn't added sugar.
  • benflando
    benflando Posts: 193
    Stop eating the carbs after you filled them. Take carbs out of your dinner.
  • lin7604
    thx. i find it so hard, i try to eat good but then things like this get in the way and discourage me. makes it to confusing for me. I am not a huge veggie eater, so carrots and peas is where it's at if i am going to get any in. the yogurt i eat is either plain and i add a bit of kashi cereal to it or i eat yoplait greek with strawberries. the pickles were dill... the fruit cup i ate i don't normally eat but they were on sale cheap, so i bought 4 of them. the granola bar i agree is a good place to start to get rid of, agan they were on sale super cheap on day for a huge box of them, so i have been trying to eat them gradually and then i won't buy them again... as for dinner this is where i find it hard b/c my son is celiac and is limited right, he is also at that age where we have to role model for him to get him to eat new things and just eat in general as it's been a difficult transition, so if i don't eat it, he won't or wont try new things. So i try to eat everything we are serving... today i found i ate very well, and still hit 189 so i guess i have to decide whether i want to try to lower my carbs and if it's that important to me to help aid my weight loss or just try to focus on eating as best and healthy as i can....
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    ahhh net carbs? never thought of that? shakeo is shakeology. a beach body shake ( meal replacement) i do it for breakfast... normally i do a vega one shake in the am but bought shakeology to give it a try. ok i will break down my day today...

lunch: snap peas, carrots, 30 g cheese,pickles,nature valley granola bar /33 grams carbs

Replace your snacks. Have a protein at lunch instead of the granola bar. Have a whole fruit instead of Del Monte stuff. An apple had 19 carbs as opposed to your 36. The granola bar would be carb heavier as well. Ill have an apple and cheese or peanut butter or nuts, or tuna snack kit (either just the flavoured tuna or the kit with crackers) or veggies, maybe a dip.

I have similar goals, one meal is usually low on carbs, maybe just protein and veggies then the other meals are a protein with veggies and type of higher carb side.
  • lin7604

Replace your snacks. Have a protein at lunch instead of the granola bar. Have a whole fruit instead of Del Monte stuff. An apple had 19 carbs as opposed to your 36. The granola bar would be carb heavier as well. Ill have an apple and cheese or peanut butter or nuts, or tuna snack kit (either just the flavoured tuna or the kit with crackers) or veggies, maybe a dip.

I have similar goals, one meal is usually low on carbs, maybe just protein and veggies then the other meals are a protein with veggies and type of higher carb side.

thx. i totally get what you are saying, sometimes those convenient snacks get in the way... when i run out of fresh fruit, etc...i normally don't buy fruit cups at all but these ones i like b/c they are fresh and with tropical fruit... so i only buy when they are on sale once in a blue moon... i can't do peanut butter during the day as i work in child care and no nuts are allowed inside.. :( i can't so tuna on it's own either, it had to be in a sandwich with a bit of mayo and i am trying not to eat bread at all... i should go back to oatmeal, eggs and stick with the fresh fruit and veggies i think....
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member

thx. i totally get what you are saying, sometimes those convenient snacks get in the way... when i run out of fresh fruit, etc...i normally don't buy fruit cups at all but these ones i like b/c they are fresh and with tropical fruit... so i only buy when they are on sale once in a blue moon... i can't do peanut butter during the day as i work in child care and no nuts are allowed inside.. :( i can't so tuna on it's own either, it had to be in a sandwich with a bit of mayo and i am trying not to eat bread at all... i should go back to oatmeal, eggs and stick with the fresh fruit and veggies i think....

I think we assumed that was your usual menu. I understand finding things on sale/having to substitute.
    IYou can always re-arrange your other meals and stick with the higher carb snacks. I often will come home after work and eat low carb meal because I had more carbs earlier.
    You could change your breakfast and have the shake as a snack. Or omit the banana.
    There is nothig wrong with bread but if you want to save calories look at pitas.

Just play around. There is not rule that your meals have to structured the same way evey day. If you find something on sale that works for your snacks, adjust another meal and go with it.
  • lin7604
    thx again, i find i have to mix fruit in my shake as it is gritty textured and i don`t like it on it`s own....I try to avoid bread items because i get very bloated by them, i guess gluten sensitive ( my son is celiac).... so if i do it will be pasta only once a week, only potatoes once a week max, and avoid breads, but i will do breakfast muffins ( banana or bran).... i find i have to be a structured person as i fall off the wagon very easily and have a hard time getting back on... so i have to try to figure out what is good and what to avoid and only have once in a while yet dinners are hard because of my son`s allergy, as i want him to eat and try new foods as he is so picky... just to eat in general, so i can`t make something and not eat it,lol... i wish it was easier.... i love my fruit and i bet if i allowe myself i would fill up my day in cals and carbs with fruit,lol
  • goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    increase your carbs and drop your protein..you will thank me:)
  • lin7604
    what? are you serious or pulling my leg? not sure how to read into that, if you are Joking or not???? i have been told the opposite since i started this and while yes i did lose the weight i wanted to, it was super slow. since i have upped my protein, nothing has visible changed and i still struggle, so i hope my muscles are thanking me... more cabs then 200 then i do now, i really don't see how that will help me?
  • Susan1711
    Susan1711 Posts: 4 Member
    Eat fresh fruit instead of sugar laden Del Monte, lose the granola bars and the potatoes.. Up your fiber intake... lower your sugar intake. Read labels on foods.. If it has high fructose corn syrup, sucralose, corn syrup, or anything ending in ose, stay away from it.. You didn't say what you drink, but if it's a diet soda, then you are increasing your sugar carbs also.. I've learned you have to read labels and stay away from processed foods.. Stay away from the middle isles in the grocery.. only fresh or frozen (plain) fruits and vegetables and lean proteins, whole grain bread occasionally (Ezekiel bread is good).
  • lin7604
    i only drink water and tea. i don't normally buy those del monte fruit cups or the granola bars but they were on super cheap so i grabbed them for emergency items when fresh fruit is low or i need a quick bite to eat on the go. i usually only eat fresh fruit. i won't sut out anything from my diet, i will just eat in moderation. I will only eat potatoes once a week max and that is to help with my son and his new diet. i will also only eat things like rice or pasta once a week max and i weigh my portion and measure it to make sur eit is only 1 serving i am eating. i don't like sucrolse, aspertame, etc so i won't buy those items....
  • haymancm
    haymancm Posts: 280 Member
    Increase your workouts, burning more calories, & your carb allowance will be higher for the day.
  • jbonow1231
    jbonow1231 Posts: 75 Member
    I have a goal of 60 carbs for the day, per my dietician so - you can actually eat a lot less carbs, but it does take more planning.

There are lower carb shakes out there - and don't mix it with water, use unsweetened almond, flax, coconut milk they are low carb (compared to dairy milk) and really improve the texture of shakes, I find. But then - I guess I just plow through even if it is gritty.

Also - get a lower carb Greek yogurt - a 0% fat plain kind will be 7-10 g. So, cut out the fruit jam flavored/honey kinds.

What's your son's food allergy you need to work around?
  • lin7604
    my son is celiac and has been super super picky since the change...he is the kind of kid that if you make something, YOU need to eat it with him, or he won't touch it. We are trying to get more items into his diet as he's low in certain vitamins and it's so hard. so we do things that he will eat as well, so he's not starving daily as well. he still won't eat potatoes and most veggies, so we try to role model for him. Meat is another issue, he will only eat chicken and maybe fish ( if i bread it for him) once a week. otherwise he was a pasta bread lover and i don't want him eating that much since the GF kind isn't as healthy for you in general. So as i try to eat healthier, it makes it a challenge as he won't eat a lot of those items and i REFUSE to make more then one meal for everyone!

i do use unsweetened almond milk for my shakes, i find no matter which one i have tried they all have been around a similar carb number :( as for greek yogurt, i will not eat the plain kind, i just can't do it, it has to have fruit in it... but i will eat reg plain yogurt in general. i guess the thicker texture of greek is too much so if it's flavored i can eat it....disguise it i guess,lol
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Eat less fruit. Fruit is good in moderation, but don't eat too much.
  • There's nothing magical about that macro ratio. IF you're getting enough protein and fat then I don't think it's necessary that you aim for 140g.
  • mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member

breakfast - itch the banana and have berries or an orange instead.
    snack - ditch the fruit, have a hard boil egg or chobani or some other type of protein
    lunch - ditch the granola bar, and go a huge salad, or protein
    dinner - ditch the potatoes, for cauliflower
    greek yogurt - go chobani, it's high in protein low in carbs.

I'm on a 40/30/30 macro's and some days I go over carbs, but overall I'm under protein (which I'm still working on).
    My diary should be open.
  • Desdemina
    Desdemina Posts: 150 Member
    Get the Dannon Light & Fit Greek yogurt. It has fruit, and it's yummy!

Under doctor's orders, I stay under 75 g of carbs a day and I rarely even get close to it. Breakfast is usually eggs, turkey sausage, or a protein shake == Premiere Nutrition, only 4 carbs. Lunch is something like cheese, lunchmeat or turkey pepperoni and a yogurt, or a salad with lots of veggies and grilled chicken. Dinner is often a hamburger, turkey burger, steak, chicken breast and low starch veggies like green beans. I'll have fruit once a day along with a protein to avoid a sugar rush, something like an apple and cheese. And I keep low carb protein bars on hand for when I'm hungry or my blood sugar feels out of whack (I'm insulin resistant).

For both you and your son, there was an article recently about how we learn to like new foods. You have to eat a new food 10-15 times before learning to like it. But you CAN learn to like something that you don't right now. So you and your son can both learn to like foods that are better for you. Here's the article: http://io9.com/the-psychology-of-hating-food-and-how-we-learn-to-love-476720251
  • greenmonstergirl
    greenmonstergirl Posts: 619 Member

should be

breakfast was: shakeology -no banana
    am snack: fresh fruit,- not canned
    lunch: snap peas, carrots, 30 g cheese,pickles, -get rid of the sugary/carb ridden granola bar
    dinner : meatloaf - don't eat potatos
    greek yogurt: 18 carbs - try veggies or fruit instead
    see what your totals are this way???
  • If you put bananas in your shakeology shake the carbs don't count.
  • gangstagirl625
    gangstagirl625 Posts: 187 Member

try this
    breakfast: shake and a cup of berries (straw or blue or rasp much lower in sugar) not ure how many carbs are in you shake but blueberries have 9 carbs per cup strawberries are 11 per cup and rasp are 6 i 7 inch banana 24
    am snack canned fruit are highest in carbs try an apple 15 carbs for the whole thing
    lunch get rid of the carrots high in sugar try broccoli and ranch dip and almonds instead of the granola bar
    dinners baked chicken and mashed cauliflower it only has about 3 carbs
    try dannon light in fit greek only 9 carbs at the highest depending on the flavor

all of this is roughly 50 to 60 net carbs hope this helps

ps ive been on the atkins diet for about a year
  • greenmonstergirl
    If you put bananas in your shakeology shake the carbs don't count.
    :laugh:
  • lin7604
    thx everyone for some good suggestions. we don't have a lot of the yogurts you mention, like the light and fit, etc and some greek ones are just way too thick for me.. ick...plus most of them i see with sweeteners in them and i have been told to stay away from anything that has that stuff in it???? i won't do cauliflower no matter what either,lol and i will not ditch my carrots, since i am selective with veggies... i will only eat broccoli cooked, not raw.......... some other good ideas. last week i just had my shake with water and a banana mixed in b/c i like how the texture comes out with a banana otherwise i find it gritty... i tried raspberries and strawberries last week and it was ok but i like it a lot better with a banana. i will ditch the granola bars once the box is gone and not buy again.... i usually eat fresh fruit not canned ( never ) and only once in a blue moon those del monte fresh fruit cups that i had that day i listed it on here.... i am trying hard to get in extra protein but i still struggle with that daily... anyway, as you can see i am picky, lol but also still learning.... so i will try my best, i will take some of these suggestions ( i am boiling eggs right now ) and i will try to make a few changes. thx
  • greenmonstergirl
    Great job an good luck!!! Any change is going to be hard but it will be easier the more you eat that way.