Question about calories

Options
Hi everyone! I'm 63kg (138lbs) and 150cm (4'11) and I'm overweight. I have been losing weight slowly without counting calories, but now I want to start doing it.

I started using MFP and my NET calories should be 1200. But then I read I could take my recommendation and remove up to 200 calories from it, so I settled for 1100 NET calories.

Now, that is kind of okay in a day when I'm able to workout, but on the other days I find it hard to stay bellow 1100kcals. I get hungry.

Then I calculated my TDEE and the result was 1993. Cutting 500 calories from that, it would be close to 1500kcal. But now I see that that is gross and not NET.

Basically my question is how much should I eat? 1100? 1200? 1400? NET or gross?

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Based on your post/numbers... 1500 gross.

• benflando
    benflando Posts: 193
    Options
    Experiment. I would start at the highest one first. See how that goes for about 5 days. If you don't like the results from that, go down to the next one. Repeat. Good luck. Message me for further details.
  • Jenny9000
    Jenny9000 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I agree with the 1500. See how you feel after a week or two. You may have to make adjustments from there.
    I personally had to do a lot of experimenting before I found what worked for me.
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm 63kg (138lbs) and 150cm (4'11) and I'm overweight. I have been losing weight slowly without counting calories, but now I want to start doing it.

I started using MFP and my NET calories should be 1200. But then I read I could take my recommendation and remove up to 200 calories from it, so I settled for 1100 NET calories.

Now, that is kind of okay in a day when I'm able to workout, but on the other days I find it hard to stay bellow 1100kcals. I get hungry.

Then I calculated my TDEE and the result was 1993. Cutting 500 calories from that, it would be close to 1500kcal. But now I see that that is gross and not NET.

How did you figure your TDEE?
    Log exactly the way you have been eating for 2 weeks. Make a note in the food diary the days you still feel hungry.

I am 5'3". 120 pounds. I was eating 1200 plus eating back the exercise calories each day. Now I'm set to 1600 (plus exercise) to maintain as I'm more active. NOTE I do not list every little thing like cleaning or rocking the baby as exercise.
  • meredithgomez
    meredithgomez Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much for your help. I really wasn't enjoying eating 1100kcal/day. I will experiment and figure out what's a reasonable number for me.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Where did you hear the recommendation you could remove 200? MFP tends to give women recommendations on the low side, I would never suggest taking additional off without reason.
    Plus keep in mind that the way MFP is designed, you are supposed to log workout calories and eat them back, so if you follow MFP you should be netting 1200 calories.

If you go the TDEE method, you don't net, that is just what you eat. Most times they end up being around the same.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much for your help. I really wasn't enjoying eating 1100kcal/day. I will experiment and figure out what's a reasonable number for me.

Just be sure you give yourself at least 4 weeks at each calorie level to see if there is really any benefit. Every time you change something (diet or exercise) you should expect your body to take up to a month to adjust before seeing any real results. So if you change from 1100 to 1500, don't expect results in the next 3 days.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    You don't need to knock anything off 1200 net...that's like bare minimum and you're supposed to eat you exercise calories back as well...so your gross would be higher. 1200 net is most often below RMR for all but the shortest and oldest of ladies. I'm personally an advocate of the TDEE - X% method if you are routine in your exercise and activity.
  • heidiyf
    heidiyf Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    If you are feeling unreasonably hungry then definitely try increasing your calories to a higher number, like 1400 or 1500. You can always lower your calories from there as your body gets smaller if you need to. From a dieter who has failed many times from trying to start too low at first, you'll end up quitting if you suffer from hunger all the time.
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3", 42 years old, and 112 pounds now (down from close to 130). It took time and a lot of examination of my lifestyle and exercise habits, but I finally figured out what my true TDEE is versus my BMR and I simply eat "between" that at 1330. I also am not perfect day-to-day, but I look at the week as a whole and it all evens out.
  • meredithgomez
    Options

How did you figure your TDEE?

I used a calculator - http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html
    I listed my activity level as light exercise - I am a student so I don't move much, but I have a 90minute P.E class twice a week and I joined the gym today :) before that I'd jog 2 times a week.
  • meredithgomez
    Options
    1200 net is most often below RMR for all but the shortest and oldest of ladies

Truth is I'm 18 but I'm incredibly short. I won't try to do the 1100NET, it's too low. I think I'm going back to the 1200-1300 and see how it goes.