New Dog

Options
My boyfriend and I are wanting to get a dog. We have a house with a big yard. We are debating on getting an older dog or a puppy we can train from the get go. Any suggestions from dog owners? W also have a 9 year old cat I am worried might be intimidated by a large dog.

thanks
Nikki

Replies

• nikki128
    nikki128 Posts: 42
    Options
    My boyfriend and I are wanting to get a dog. We have a house with a big yard. We are debating on getting an older dog or a puppy we can train from the get go. Any suggestions from dog owners? W also have a 9 year old cat I am worried might be intimidated by a large dog.

thanks
    Nikki
  • memaw66
    memaw66 Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I would be very cautious when getting an older dog, especially a large older dog. You never know if previous owners could have taught them commands that you don't know of. Some people use different words for commands and you might not know it and say the wrong word. Just be very cautious. I would recommend a puppy around an older cat also. An older dog may already have a hatred of cats but a puppy can be taught to live with them. I have been around dogs all my life and was a breeder at one time. I have both little and big dogs (see my pics). Just my 2 cents.

Memaw
  • nikki128
    Options
    Thanks memaw-

My concern with a puppy is that I will be home for the next 7 weeks or so but then I will be working 8 hours a day. So he would be crated. I'm not sure that is fair to him
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    I agree since you already have an older cat I would get a puppy so the puppy grows with the cat rather than an older dog- but if it weren't for the cat I don't see any reason why not to get an older dog there are plenty of older dogs that need homes-- you could also check with the humane society in your area they have plenty of dogs that need homes and they can let you know which ones are good with cats too-- how is your cat going to act with a dog?
  • nikki128
    Options
    I am actually not sure. He has never been around another animal. I am going off his personality. He hisses and eventually warms up. These days he sleeps most of the day comes out to eat and play 2-3 timesa day.
  • Katy009
    Katy009 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    We got a new german shepherd puppy when my cats were 12 yrs. old. The dog is now 6 and the cats both 18! Although it took quite a while, they eventually adapted to each other. They are not best friends...but they tolerate each other. We decided on a puppy because I also had a new born baby at the time and thought that best. I think you could go with an older dog, too, if you wanted. You can usually tell right away the disposition of dogs and in my experience, all dogs I've gotten from the pound before have been really, really sweet. In that regard, they are also usually housebroken. Having a new puppy was like having another child....and she DESTROYED my house for the first year! Depends on if you have the patience for that or not :smile:
  • rachieb1013
    rachieb1013 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    OH MY GOODNESS...PLEASE ADOPT!!!!!

There are soooooo many dogs that have been abused, neglected, or left to fend for themselves that are brought to the SPCA on a daily basis!!!

In February, I made the decision to adopt and I found my little "booger" (as I call him) right away!
    He is a beautiful 2 year old Golden Retriever (1.5 years when I first adopted) named Tucker!

He proved to be a little bit of work at first, but the outcome is so rewarding. I now have a loyal, loving dog who is so grateful everyday to have been rescued, (I can see it in his eyes).

Tucker was 52 lbs when I adopted him (he was only @ the SPCA for 2 days) and a full grown male Golden should be @ least 70. He was extremely skittish and neurotic, and I found out he is deathly afraid of belts, gates and doors. He was a dog who was abused for no reason. I worked with him and loved him everyday and 4 months later it is like he was never like that.

Save a dog, you'll never regret it, and the dog will be forever grateful!

:heart: Rachel
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    Ok, maybe this is the animal shelter person in me speaking, but I've never seen people have better luck with one over the other. People have a better chance with a grown dog if the personality of the dog is known. Some animal shelters can tell you if the dog is already crate or potty trained - find one of these shelters if you are unwilling to train or have accidents in the house. Some can tell you whether the dog likes cats, children, or other dogs. Also, though you may have an idea what you are looking for in a dog, keep an open mind. Sometimes you will just "click" with a certain dog.

If you get a two month old puppy, it will be 4 months old by the time you go back to work. It should be old enough to be on it's own and be house trained. I wouldn't worry about crating it though.

Congrats and good luck.

p.s. This is true for kittens as well. Sometimes the "house" cats will get along with a kitten, sometimes an older cat. Mostly has to do with personality and the age of the other cats.
  • nikki128
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone. My boyfriend really wants an older dog. We had discussed buying a purebred but I refused because I know so many dogs are homeless I'd rather give them a home. We will go to the shelter Sat and look and Sun to the petsmart. This past Sunday we went looked and walked out without a dog because we did not ' click ' with any of them. I will be home training and taking care of the dog so my bf says it is up to me on the age. I guess there are pros and cons to both puppies and older dogs. We saw a great 9 year old dog but it was not compatible with what we wanted.
  • Loveit
    Loveit Posts: 10
    Options
    Good question!

Just asking that question means you are off to a good start!

Do some homework and find a breed (mixbreeds are good, too) of dog that fits with your lifestyle. Study the temperament, what they were bred to do, their size and once you have picked a breed, talk to several reputable breeders. They generally belong to the breed's parent club and adhere to a breeder's code of ethics. The code of ethics insures they do health checks, temperament tests and have a waiting list of adopters before they breed. Then call a couple of breeders and build a relationship with one. I totally support getting an adult. If you want an adult they will likely know of a rescue or rehome within the club that has a known history that is available. That known history will give you assurance of its training, sociability, friendliness(with people and cats) which will reduce your liability. You can visit the dog in its home environment and see it's true colors. And, most breed clubs will give you assistance in the future with training help and support. Most insist on being part of that dog's life forever. They are knowledgeable about their breed and likely know the bloodlines of your dog and have had relatives, so they know the dog's tendencies. You are adding a new member to your family and I would enlist the help of people that care about that breed and individual to make sure the transition is done smoothly and with as much care as possible.

Then enroll in a fun dog class that uses positive training methods and learn some new skills with your new dog. It's a great way to bond and get a good start.

Animal shelter animals can be a good choice, but they are generally better for more experienced dog owners. (I have adopted from a shelter. )Many animals arrive from inexperienced homes that couldn't handle their behavioral problems. And have been mis-handled and require mental, emotional rehab that you may/may not be able to provide. Most of the original behavioral problems were probably minor but the consequence of improper/abusive/inadequate training can create bigger problems. It's a sad situation, but people need to be educated on the proper way to communicate, socialize and provide for animals. And, people need to learn to be responsible for their choices. Shelters provide an easy out for people that failed the animal for one reason or another. A person can drop an animal that they created issues in at the shelter and go try another animal and keep the cycle going. Yes, there are good animals at the shelter, but you need to take someone skilled with you to help assess them.

Before you get a pet, remember that there isn't a pet overpopulation problem. There is a human undercommitment problem to the pets they do get. If people just kept the pets they adopted and worked through the training and made the right decision for the right type of animal in the beginning there wouldn't be any animals in shelters. Including, making sure they can afford the animal for its life and they have a safety net in place if something were to happen. It's not the breeders that are putting most of the animals in shelters. It's the owners that give up the dog down the road. Shelters just make it easy to give them up. Most breeders have other jobs that they get their income from. The animals that they love, train, and provide vet care for is a labor of love and usually not a business or their sole source of income. Remember shelters and humane organizations are a business. They want your cash to build better ad campaigns and to pay lobbyists to get more cash. They want your animals to sell (i.e raids on people with adoptable animals, etc). Their business is selling animals and getting your donated money. Most shelters employ a staff and have paid board members. Dog food is cheap compared to their salaries. Donate food and supplies or foster the exisiting animals if you want to help. And, most of all, prevent animals from going to the shelter in the first place. Help your friends and neighbors if they come up on hard times. If you find it tragic that dogs end up in shelters don't support or adopt from a shelter. By adopting a dog from the shelter you are encouraging shelters to continue operating their business. Instead, adopt from a caring individual that maintains their animals in a home environment and will give you life time support and be there for you and your dog if a need arises.

Educate, don't legislate.

How many calories are burned for stepping up and down off my soapbox?

Okay, I am going to go swimming with my dog now and add it to my exercise log!

Best of luck!
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options

Before you get a pet, remember that there isn't a pet overpopulation problem. There is a human undercommitment problem to the pets they do get. If people just kept the pets they adopted and worked through the training and made the right decision for the right type of animal in the beginning there wouldn't be any animals in shelters. Including, making sure they can afford the animal for its life and they have a safety net in place if something were to happen. It's not the breeders that are putting most of the animals in shelters. It's the owners that give up the dog down the road. Shelters just make it easy to give them up. Most breeders have other jobs that they get their income from. The animals that they love, train, and provide vet care for is a labor of love and usually not a business or their sole source of income. Remember shelters and humane organizations are a business. They want your cash to build better ad campaigns and to pay lobbyists to get more cash. They want your animals to sell (i.e raids on people with adoptable animals, etc). Their business is selling animals and getting your donated money. Most shelters employ a staff and have paid board members. Dog food is cheap compared to their salaries. Donate food and supplies or foster the exisiting animals if you want to help. And, most of all, prevent animals from going to the shelter in the first place. Help your friends and neighbors if they come up on hard times. If you find it tragic that dogs end up in shelters don't support or adopt from a shelter. By adopting a dog from the shelter you are encouraging shelters to continue operating their business. Instead, adopt from a caring individual that maintains their animals in a home environment and will give you life time support and be there for you and your dog if a need arises.

Ok--let me see how I can put this.

I worked as an animal control officer for over 5 years, and there is so much about this statement that I have to disagree with, I'm sorry but I just know the situation from the inside and can't agree with some of what was said here.

Many shelters, if not most, are good organizations trying their best to help the animals. And shelters run by Animal Control agencies are definitely not in it for money!

I have also met many breeders who were, to put it mildly, the scum of the earth, including one who stuffed about 15 beagle puppies into a cage big enough for 3, in the middle of summer, and set them out at a flea market to sell. No water in sight. They were close to death when I finally got the call. He even had a business card, license, the whole bit. He also threatened me with bodily harm. Had to call for police back-up on that one.

I also have to say that from my experience, there is a pet population problem because there is a shortage of good homes. Not enough good homes--too many pets. I assisted in putting down hundreds of perfectly good animals--well behaved ones too--because there are too many animals and not enough homes. The two problems go hand in hand.

If there weren't shelters, the problem would be unbearable. I have been to El Salvador, and my husband has traveled extensively in other countries as well, that have no shelters. Animals roam the streets, starving, abused--the scenes tear your heart out. Look at the stories coming out of Iraq right now with our soldiers bringing stray dogs home from there after being ripped apart by seeing the horrible conditions these strays have to live in.

All that said--I have to strongly encourage you to continue to look to adopt. Either from a shelter or a foster home for animals. Don't forget to check your local animal control shelter, too.

Some of these dogs were given up because of problems. But many are simply no longer wanted, or picked up stray, or for cruelty issues. They are wonderful animals there waiting for homes that are so grateful when someone shows them love. I have had 7 shelter dogs over the years and wouldn't have given any of them up for any amount of money!

I would suggest a younger dog to allow it time to get used to the cat. Unless you can find a dog that is known to have come from a home with cats. All my dogs were older when I adopted them, and I never had problems with them and my cats. BUT, I knew how to handle introducing them, too, and that is the key.
  • BlazinEmerald
    Options
    We just adopted a Beagle pup , she is 3 months old. I was completely suprised by how easily she house trained. She had one accident in the house, by the door, cause stepson who was home with her wasnt quick enough getting the leash.

We did buy her from a pet store, we do have some medical issues with her. She was taken to the vet yesterday , she has kennel cough, treatable with antibiotics. She also has an intestinal parasite, also treatable with antibiotics. AND she has ear infections in both ears, also treatable. All this from the pet store. It doesn't mean we'll take her back or get rid of her, shes safe around our kids and cats so we will treat her and move on. The pet store will pay for the meds for the parasite and kennel cough, but we have spent out about $500.00 in the past 2 days at the vet on her alone. All these things are VERY common in Pet store pets.

When getting a puppy be prepared to be at the vet A LOT. The first 6 months are the most expensive because you have vaccines every 3 weeks.

All that being said , I don't regret it a bit. She is a wonderful pup and great addition to our family.

Halopup.jpg?t=1214339157
  • nikki128
    Options
    shore rider thank you for the advice. I have been researching how to introduce the cat and dog. I think I have a mental handle on it. A friend of ours neighbor had chocolate lab puppies < born May2> we are considering looking at them but won't rule out shelter dogs just yet.
  • nikki128
    Options
    shore rider thank you for the advice. I have been researching how to introduce the cat and dog. I think I have a mental handle on it. A friend of ours neighbor had chocolate lab puppies < born May2> we are considering looking at them but won't rule out shelter dogs just yet.

Blazin - She is beautiful. Good luck with her.
  • shorerider
    Options

Blazin - She is beautiful. Good luck with her.

I'm partial to labs and cattle dogs--and labs are great dogs. Great with kids, gentle, but can be hyper at times. They're bred to be used in hunting, etc., so they can like their exercise. They're smart, too! Smart enough to pretend to be dumb if they don't want to do what you want them to do :laugh:

My current dog, a stray I found that had been hit by a car, is a black lab mix. I've had her for 15 years now--she's about 17 and nearing the end of her life. We're facing have to put her down soon I think as she is just deteriorating fast. That is going to break my heart. We've already discussing what kind of dog to get next when that day comes (can't imagine being without a dog!) and have decided it will either be a Lab or Cattle Dog--did I say I'm partial to them?? :tongue:

Whichever one it is, it will come from either a shelter or a rescue society. And, yes, you can find purebred dogs at shelters.
  • littleone68
    littleone68 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Shorerider you were so on the mark!!! And Blazinemerald you too remembered a good point!! Unfortunately Loveit, you were so off the mark I don't know what on earth you were thinking or where you got your information. I have NEVER know a shelter to be a money maker. They rely on volunteers and donations and those who do collect a salary, it is minimal at best. The over population problem is a human based problem--irresponsible humans!! That's why if your not a breeder the recommendation is to have your pet spayed or neutered (also for health reasons). I am a veterinary assistant studying to become a veterinary technician and I can tell you first hand that I see animals coming from breeders that were not cared for properly, are too inbred and now have genetic abnormalities, and that were just plain abused. That's why there are puppy mills not shelter mills! A good percentage of breeders are responsible, but there are way too many that are in it for the money. Please don't take this the wrong way, but as for getting a dog when you expecting a baby, personally I would advise against it. Instead of being worried about whether the dog will get along with your cat, you should be worrying whether you can handle two infants at once. Regardless the age, an animal is like another child...physically, mentally, and financially. What are you going to do when the dog and the baby are both sick at the same time?? Who gets to go to the doctor? When people come to me and ask whether they should get an animal or not, my first question is " would you be ready for the responsibility of a child right now"? If their answer is no, I advise against a pet. This dog requires the same amount of attention and care that a child does, it will be like you had twins. I know you have a cat, but cats do not require as much of your attention (although financially it can run you about the same). When is the last time you heard someone say.."geez I gotta get home and walk the cat so he doesn't mess in the house"? Please think it through carefully and if you do decide to get a pet, all the best to you!!
  • shorerider
    Options
    I didn't see anything about "expecting a baby" but if that's the case....I have to agree. That's not a great time to be introducing a dog into a home. Too much going, hard time bonding with dog because of everything else going on, etc. It can be a recipe for disaster--create feelings of jealousy on the part of the dog, etc.

I'd wait until the child is old enough to not how and how not to handle a dog before considering it. That's my advice but it's based on seeing many bad results over the years I was an ACO.
  • nikki128
    Options
    I am not pregnant nor considering having a child anytime soon so that won't be an issue. I don't know where that came from. Thanks for the advice though
  • shorerider
    Options
    Ok--I was wondering if I had somehow missed something!
  • jenbar
    jenbar Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Hi, I found my dog online. (local) I called the rescue foundation and they actually came to my house with her and 3 other dogs so I could see how they were with my 2 cats and 1 son at the time. (my cats were around 9 & 11 then) I liked two of them and asked if I could keep them for a couple of hours to see how they were around the house. Well Linzee (my now dog) stayed by my side the entire time (she was 2 then) and the other dog, tried to hunt down my cats and pooped in the basement! So, I knew Linzee was for me. When the woman came to get her, I asked if I could just keep her, and payed her then and there and she's been with us for 5 years now. I started giving her commands and she knew them all! Sit, stay, heal, down, drop it, fetch, roll over, the treat on her nose and if I made my hand like a "gun" and said BANG, she plays dead! Someone lost a great dog and we gained her!
    Look into a local shelter, where you can see them, touch them, talk to them, even see if you can try them out for a day or two because of the cat. You just might get lucky like me!
    As far as a puppy, I know someone recently who got a dog, and hasn't slept in 2 months! They are like babies. They wake up every couple of hours to go out. They wimper, don't want to be left alone.
    Hope this helps!