And This is Why You Don't Go Into the Woods

Options

Replies

• SmartWhatever
    SmartWhatever Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Thats pretty damn cool looking if you ask me! Of course it looks painful and I wouldnt wish that on anybody, but pretty damn cool....
  • VitaBailey
    VitaBailey Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Oye
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    A snake bit me once said I tasted like chicken !

Humans taste more like pork.
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m2yxycJtEs1r1zn4oo1_500.gif
  • mnishi
    mnishi Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Oh dear lord
  • LibertyBelle89
    Options
    Oh. My. God.
  • PantalaNagaPampa
    PantalaNagaPampa Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options

Long Pig
  • Hitem20
    Hitem20 Posts: 121
    Options

This goes into the things I didnt know file.
  • Ta2dchic20
    Ta2dchic20 Posts: 376 Member
    Options

Or possibly didn't want to know?
  • JAnundson
    JAnundson Posts: 23
    Options

Or possibly didn't want to know?

Or... the " things I probably shouldn't know" file?
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    I wanna mention I have lived in Arizona all my life, and I am an avid outdoorsman, without a single snake bite to date. However, I have come VERY close on at least three different occasions.

I have/had a close friend who was bit while snake breaking some hutning dogs. Dies 3 times on the table but was revived. However, he was never the same after that mentally and he eventually had a shootout with police and ended his life.

Snakes are baaaaad mojo. But leave them alone and most don't want anything to do with you.
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    ERMAGHERD!!!
  • faefaith
    faefaith Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I am grateful for my feet right now.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Wow.

On the other hand, most snakebite injuries in the US are from the cottonmouth (their WARNING system is to give you an initial nearly venomless bite. Usually, the second bite is the serious one where they use their poison).

The person to get bit? 18-21 year old males. On their hands and arms.

Since I'm a 41-year old woman with enough sense not to try to grab a cottonmouth, I think I'll be fine.

The guy in the photo, Stephen Rankin, was bitten by a Fer de lance, which has some of the deadliest venom around. So far I have not seen where he was at when this happened, but it was stated that it bit through his boot.

Found an article that says he was scouting locations in Costa Rica.
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Wow.

On the other hand, most snakebite injuries in the US are from the cottonmouth (their WARNING system is to give you an initial nearly venomless bite. Usually, the second bite is the serious one where they use their poison).

The person to get bit? 18-21 year old males. On their hands and arms.

Since I'm a 41-year old woman with enough sense not to try to grab a cottonmouth, I think I'll be fine.

The guy in the photo, Stephen Rankin, was bitten by a Fer de lance, which has some of the deadliest venom around. So far I have not seen where he was at when this happened, but it was stated that it bit through his boot.

Found an article that says he was scouting locations in Costa Rica.

Ahh. Those kinds of bites appear to be very common in that part of the world, from when I was reading up on the fer de lance.
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I just HAD to look. :sick: Good grief, I am so stupid.
  • 5n0wbal1
    5n0wbal1 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Wow. Will he be able to walk again, much less keep shooting the show with Bear? I feel so sorry for him--must've hurt like a you-know-what.
  • VeganSurfer
    VeganSurfer Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Yum
  • DavidC1857
    DavidC1857 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I'm working on being a hiker. I need more equipment (a good pack with a water bladder to start), etc. Expensive and I'm poor.

I've lived in the desert and woods my entire life and have only known of a few snake bites. Truth is snake bites are not that common and generally treatable if you don't lose your head and panic.

I also carry a decent Personal Locator Beacon. I use a SPOT Connect, which is not as reliable, but more feature rich and somewhat less expensive than the 406Mhz type. The 406Mhz type are pretty spendy and send out an locator signal only. But they are extremely reliable.
  • DreamLittleDarling
    DreamLittleDarling Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I'm working on being a hiker. I need more equipment (a good pack with a water bladder to start), etc. Expensive and I'm poor.

I've lived in the desert and woods my entire life and have only known of a few snake bites. Truth is snake bites are not that common and generally treatable if you don't lose your head and panic.

I also carry a decent Personal Locator Beacon. I use a SPOT Connect, which is not as reliable, but more feature rich and somewhat less expensive than the 406Mhz type. The 406Mhz type are pretty spendy and send out an locator signal only. But they are extremely reliable.

That's alot of useful information that no one asked about. But it is useful.