Tips on ways to increase your calorie intake?

Options
I've been having trouble losing weight and after doing some poking around in the forums, I think I may not be eating enough. I had been eating 1,200 - 1,300 calories but working off about 500-600 at the gym on a daily basis. I *think* this has impacted my ability to lose weight as readily as I might expect to.

I've upped my calorie intake to 1,800-2,000 calories per day, so my net would be around 1,200 to 1,400 per day after exercise. Or maybe I should say I've *attempted* to up my intake. I am having a difficult time eating enough good foods to make it to that calorie limit. Sure, I could eat a big mac and be done for the day, but obviously healthy meal choices are important.

Do you guys have any tips on how to increase your calorie intake without stuffing yourself? Do you have certain healthy foods that might be a little higher in calories that I should try? Anyone else in the same boat?

Thanks for any advice that you may have!!

Replies

• chels0722
    chels0722 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Fat has more calories per gram (9 per gram vs. 4 per gram of carbs and protein)

Take a look at my diary. I eat upwards of 2300 daily.

Nuts, avocados, lean meats, and of course ALL the nut butters :)

That will bring your calories up before you know it.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    If I get stuck needing more calories I turn to peanut butter for comfort and support. Pop-Tarts work okay too. Did you know it's 400 calories for a single package of those things? Seriously. 200 calories per tart.
  • kmsargent
    kmsargent Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I just took a look at your diary and one of the other things I noticed is the number of components you incorporate into each meal. I think adding diversity into my meal will help me a lot, too, along with the other food-specific suggestions you made. Thanks again for taking the time to answer.
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. 2 tablespoons of peanut butter and a handful of almonds gets you a quick 400 cal hit. I also shoot 2 tablespoons of olive oil for 238 calories, but that's not for everyone.
  • aweigh2go
    aweigh2go Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. 2 tablespoons of peanut butter and a handful of almonds gets you a quick 400 cal hit. I also shoot 2 tablespoons of olive oil for 238 calories, but that's not for everyone.

Wow! That's hardcore!
  • salu1975
    salu1975 Posts: 26
    Options
    eat
  • salu1975
    salu1975 Posts: 26
    Options
    sorry... nuts/nut butters, avacado, whole grain products (any)
  • chasetwins
    chasetwins Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    If I get stuck needing more calories I turn to peanut butter for comfort and support. Pop-Tarts work okay too. Did you know it's 400 calories for a single package of those things? Seriously. 200 calories per tart.

Peanut butter has been my go - to calorie booster!!! (add almonds coat an apple and super duper yummy calorie packed snack!)

Pop tarts (mehh! sugared cardboard LOL but my kids love them!)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Cook your foods in a healthy fat. Dress your salads with olive oil based dressings.

Burgers can be healthy, but don't go get a nasty Big Mac. If you want a burger make a healthy one at home. Put a slice of cheese or avocado on it to up the calories even more. Experiment with different types of burgers. Salmon and tuna burgers are awesome!

Eat veggies dipped in peanut butter or hummus for a healthy higher calorie snack.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Step 1. Eat more calorie dense food.
    Step 2. Refer to step 1.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it if you take a bit of time to work your calories up. 100 or so added here and there, and you'll be up to where you want to be soon.
  • ravshizzle
    ravshizzle Posts: 8
    Options
    Almonds. Snack on Almonds.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Fat has more calories per gram (9 per gram vs. 4 per gram of carbs and protein)

Take a look at my diary. I eat upwards of 2300 daily.

Nuts, avocados, lean meats, and of course ALL the nut butters :)

That will bring your calories up before you know it.

Couldn't have said it better.

Don't be afraid to cook things with some olive oil, too. It's tasty, and an easy way to add some healthy fats to boost the calories.