Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

very low sodium meals anyone

eriny
eriny Posts: 1,509 Member
edited September 21 in Food and Nutrition
hello looking for some help :flowerforyou:

i want to cut back sodium intake but as this is new ( tracking sodium) i am at a loss :cry:
so if any one has recipes , sites, blogs, foods thank you

i never add salt so thats not a problem just would like to keep under 2000 mg if thats possible again thank you all :flowerforyou:

Replies

• smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    You can cook a ton of things with out salt.
    Chicken breast, veggie, potato or sweet potato.
    pork chop, fish
    Avoid boxes and cans. That's where you run into the salt.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Just avoid processed food as much as possible. If you do that and you aren't adding salt to your food, then sodium shouldn't be an issue. I would suggest you be careful with are dairy (as most diary (especially cheese) has moderate to high sodium. The processed foods I do eat, like bread, I look at different kinds so I can pick the lower sodium options. If you buy packaged lunchmeat, it also tends to be really high in sodium. Also, I try to avoid canned veggies, but for beans it's much easier to buy canned than to cook it at home - luckily there are no-salt-added beans available in the grocery stores - I buy black, pinto and garbanzo beans, mostly.

Feel free to take a look at my food diary - I've been pretty good with my sodium lately, except Wednesday of this week.
  • eriny
    You can cook a ton of things with out salt.
    Chicken breast, veggie, potato or sweet potato.
    pork chop, fish
    Avoid boxes and cans. That's where you run into the salt.

i will look it up thank you its i was shocked on my egg whites as i dont do many if any box and can veggies lunch meat i rinse off ( dont know if it helps ? but doesnt hurt )
  • eriny
    Just avoid processed food as much as possible. If you do that and you aren't adding salt to your food, then sodium shouldn't be an issue. I would suggest you be careful with are dairy (as most diary (especially cheese) has moderate to high sodium. The processed foods I do eat, like bread, I look at different kinds so I can pick the lower sodium options. If you buy packaged lunchmeat, it also tends to be really high in sodium.

Feel free to take a look at my food diary - I've been pretty good with my sodium lately, except Wednesday of this week.
    will do thank you :flowerforyou:
  • eriny
    Egg - Grade A Large - Egg White Only, 3 Egg White(s) 165
    Oscar Meyer - Deli Fresh Honey Ham, 3 slices 51g 325
    Sunbeam Texas Giant - White Bread (Sandwich Loaf), 2 slices 280
    Add Food | Remember Meal 770 sodium
    this is crazy :sad:
    but yet healthly choice 480 !!!
  • eriny
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member

Yup - the bread and lunchmeat are the main sodium drivers there. That's why I quit eating sandwiches for lunch. Now I eat salads or wraps (both with home-cooked turkey or chicken instead of prepackaged lunchmeat).
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Once you can avoid processed food, then you will be good.

You already dont cook with salt, but alot of seasoning have salt, so just look for those and you are all set

I stopped cooking with salt ages ago, however without adding the raw salt in my food back then, the food was still salty, only to find out, that the bottled seasonings themself, have salt in there.....so I cut those out......and buy the natural seasoning, like parsely, onion, garlic etc and you can get those in bottles as well, just salt free

Goodluck
  • slg334
    slg334 Posts: 25
    I have that problem whith high sodium intake and I don't add salt to anything that I eat. I eat too many canneda and prepackaged meals. I don't make time to cook real meals. Thanx for the tips guys:)
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    try this site:
    www.lowsodiumcooking.com

it has LOTS of recipes with very low sodium. Just click recipe archive on the left.
  • eriny
    Once you can avoid processed food, then you will be good.

You already dont cook with salt, but alot of seasoning have salt, so just look for those and you are all set

I stopped cooking with salt ages ago, however without adding the raw salt in my food back then, the food was still salty, only to find out, that the bottled seasonings themself, have salt in there.....so I cut those out......and buy the natural seasoning, like parsely, onion, garlic etc and you can get those in bottles as well, just salt free

Goodluck
    thank you :flowerforyou:
  • maddox22
    maddox22 Posts: 91
    Keep in mind too that a lot of meat today has salt added to it (they raise the animals on processed food and don't let them move around much, so to give the meat more "flavor" they inject it with saline solution). This is especially true of chicken and pork that you get at restaurants, but even the stuff you get in the grocery store is often treated. Look for notes like "up to 15% water added" or "with a saline solution"--or just look at the nutrition facts. In a lot of cases the salt is actually inside the meat--they inject it into the meat--so you can't just rinse it off. Pastured or local meats (and some organic meats) typically aren't treated this way, so use those if you can. If you can't afford them or don't have access to them, at least make the treated meat a less-frequent ingredient. Try using it for flavor--for example, make a big pot of spaghetti sauce with a few pieces of chicken or pork. The salt in the meat will help to season the sauce, and since it's spread out into many more servings, you get less sodium per serving.

I wouldn't worry too much about sodium in eggs, veg, etc. Avoid added salt as much as you can and you'll be fine.

And watch out for stealth salt, too. It's everywhere. Almost anything that comes in a bottle, can, frozen package, or other package has salt added to it. That includes sweets (even ice cream), condiments, and even frozen veg. The more you can cook everything from scratch for yourself, the better off you are. Even beans aren't too hard to cook from scratch--throw them in a pot of water before you go to bed or before you leave for work in the morning. When you get home, drain and rinse them, then cover them with water again and boil for 45-90 minutes (depending on the type of bean). Just check them once in a while--you don't have to hover over them, so you can do laundry or work out or something while they're cooking. They keep pretty well, too--make a big batch on the weekend and then store it in the fridge for recipes later in the week. A lot cheaper than canned beans, too.
This discussion has been closed.