A good thing to track, especially for us ladies...

Options
FunkBunny
FunkBunny Posts: 417 Member
CALCIUM! MFP has the ability to track calcium on your food diary and I highly recommend it! That is often ignored by everyone and is so important! I'm adding it to my diary today, so should you for your bone's sakes:flowerforyou: !

Replies

• smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Very good point!
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    thanks for the tip... I take a supplement after dinner, I guess it's like 600 mg? Do you enter that?
  • ErinGiam
    ErinGiam Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I second that. I just recently added it to my diary as well because I don't think I ever get enough of it!
  • ErinGiam
    ErinGiam Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    thanks for the tip... I take a supplement after dinner, I guess it's like 600 mg? Do you enter that?

Yeah I would definitely enter it.
  • smuehlbauer
    Options
    Wow - eye opener. I get no where near enough. Gonna pick up a supplement tonight after work.
    Dang!
  • CandyDog
    CandyDog Posts: 2
    Options
    I track it as well and I don't get near enough....I think a supplement is a great idea.
  • kimberly428
    kimberly428 Posts: 237
    Options
    great idea!!! I just add it, thanks :D
  • S_H84
    S_H84 Posts: 75
    Options
    If you guys can I would add calcium through food over adding a supplement/ taking a pill. It is not hard to get your calcium where it needs to be. Just alone 3-4 cups of milk daily should be more than most women need, or eat a piece of light babybel or a protein bar. The little stuff adds up........
    Those are things that are in my diet I am not low on calcium..... Just a suggestion.

But great advice from the poster to keep an eye on it :)
  • CudyBug
    CudyBug Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    I was just thinking about this when reading about some eliminating cheese from thier diets because of calories. Cheese is the main way I get calcium so it would be horrible for me to cut it ou.
  • FunkBunny
    FunkBunny Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Cheese and dairy is obviously a great way to get it, but vegetables also have calcium in them as well. I received some information at my last doctor's appointment about calcium sources, I was surprised that so many veggies are sources.
    Green Beans, Bok Choy, Broccoli and many others have more than 100 mg perserving. Soybeans have over 500 mg raw and over 200 boiled! So it can be done even without dairy.
    But I think dairy is stil vital because of the protien it provides as well as the carbohydrates. So I wouldn't eliminate it completely, but perhaps find lower fat choices rather than full fat options.
  • jacqueline0821
    jacqueline0821 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Calcium is super important. I unlike many people take in too much calcium. From some recent tests done at the doctor my calcium is higher than the average recommended level. I drink glass after glass of milk...yum.
  • Allibaba
    Allibaba Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I eat several raw almonds each day for the protein but they also have calcium. However MFP does not recognize this since I add them per almond, well 1 cup of almonds has 25% of your calcium but if you calculate it with only 1 almond it is 0%, oh well with the Vega shakes I am way over on calcium anyhow. It is ver important to have calcium, I can't tolerate dairy so I have to get it elsewhere in my diet.
  • JensLogin
    JensLogin Posts: 74
    Options
    I agree with the others, this is a great point. I take a calcium supplement daily to ensure I get enough. When taking a calcium supplement, make sure it also has vitamin D with it. The vitamin D is what helps your body absorb the calcium. If you're going to take the calcium, you want to be sure your body is absorbing it.

Here's a tid bit of information on calcium I recently heard from my physician. He stated he had recently read some studies on the impacts of calcium in women. The study had found that woman who had adequate calcium levels and took supplments had a significantly reduced chance of getting breast cancer. Since my sister had breast cancer at 31, I thought this was very useful information.

I say, take your calcium ladies! :)
  • raindancer
    raindancer Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    CALCIUM! MFP has the ability to track calcium on your food diary and I highly recommend it! That is often ignored by everyone and is so important! I'm adding it to my diary today, so should you for your bone's sakes:flowerforyou: !

Thank You, I had not even thought about tracking it here. I changed my settings.
  • navstar
    navstar Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I wish this site would let us track Vitamin D as you need vitamin D to absorb calcium>
  • smuehlbauer
    Options
    If you guys can I would add calcium through food over adding a supplement/ taking a pill. It is not hard to get your calcium where it needs to be. Just alone 3-4 cups of milk daily should be more than most women need, or eat a piece of light babybel or a protein bar. The little stuff adds up........
    Those are things that are in my diet I am not low on calcium..... Just a suggestion.

But great advice from the poster to keep an eye on it :)

I would love to do this, however, four servings of milk is 344 calories. Maybe once I move up to maintenance that will be a good thing to help me add caloires, but right now I don't have that to spare.
    But don't worry. If I have a treat, it's usually frozen yogurt so I'm getting some calcuim.
    haahaa!
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    i have been tracking this since i started. i find my calcium intake ebbs and flows. :)
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    i have been tracking this since i started. i find my calcium intake ebbs and flows. :)