Japanese Steakhouses....

Options
AwMyLoLo
AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
The women in my office insist on going to a Japanese Steakhouse for lunch today. I had planned a nice salad with tuna for lunch :grumble: . What on earth should I get at a Japanese Steakhouse? Can I ask them not to cook my food in butter? All the sodium... ugh :grumble:

Looks like they do have sushi... should I just get a Cali Roll or something?

Replies

• MsElphaba
    MsElphaba Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Get steamed rice and stick with chicken and veggies; then eat half. Ginger dressing on the side for your salad.
  • princessorchid
    princessorchid Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Noooo to the california rolls - as far as sushi goes it's pretty high in kcals and fat! It has mayo in it usually, which is what will do it (that and the avocado, but at least avocado is good for you!).

Is there any nigiri sushi on the menu? I went to a Japanese steakhouse (hibachi, right?) with my parents, and my mum had fish instead of steak - looked ehalthier anyways.
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    If you are going to a place where you will watch them cook (hibachi) you can tell them not to use butter on your meat and veggies and opt for steamed rice instead of fried.
  • AwMyLoLo
    Options
    Noooo to the california rolls - as far as sushi goes it's pretty high in kcals and fat! It has mayo in it usually, which is what will do it (that and the avocado, but at least avocado is good for you!).

Is there any nigiri sushi on the menu? I went to a Japanese steakhouse (hibachi, right?) with my parents, and my mum had fish instead of steak - looked ehalthier anyways.

Most California Rolls I have seen online average around 300 calories... ??
  • acabanil37
    Options
    California rolls usually consist of rice, nori (seaweed), imitation krab, cucumber, and avocado. I have found that the best way to go at a place like that is to get some miso soup, and a tekka maki (tuna). BUT I love sushi!!!

http://www.peertrainer.com/DFcaloriecounterB.aspx?id=6867
  • diet45
    diet45 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Just to warn you: if you ask for no butter or oil....they cook your food first and everyone else has to wait until your food is cooked before they start everyone else's food. This might be a problem if you are on a tight lunch schedule. We went there for a birthday celebration and my mom ordered it with no oil and butter (guess I should have) and they cooked her food first and served her, then started everybody else's food. We have a 3 yr old, so to say the least she didn't really want to wait around for her food.....we were there 1 1/2 hr. Just saying.....
  • AwMyLoLo
    Options
    Just to warn you: if you ask for no butter or oil....they cook your food first and everyone else has to wait until your food is cooked before they start everyone else's food. This might be a problem if you are on a tight lunch schedule. We went there for a birthday celebration and my mom ordered it with no oil and butter (guess I should have) and they cooked her food first and served her, then started everybody else's food. We have a 3 yr old, so to say the least she didn't really want to wait around for her food.....we were there 1 1/2 hr. Just saying.....

Thank you for THAT advise!! I think I'm just going to get a California Roll...
  • Sharont213
    Sharont213 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Why not just enjoy your lunch - it's one meal and not a daily or weekly thing. Make healthy decisions the rest of the day, take home half instead of eating it all and you should be fine.
  • KelRo207
    KelRo207 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    When I went, I skipped the rice all together and asked for double veggies instead. Another option is to ask for brown rice. A lot more Japanese and Chinese restaurants are offering it as an option.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Sashimi!

Or get a seared (rare) ahi tuna steak with a side of vegetables. Mmm...
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Why not just enjoy your lunch - it's one meal and not a daily or weekly thing. Make healthy decisions the rest of the day, take home half instead of eating it all and you should be fine.
    That's what I do,,, :smile:
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    [/quote

great advice!