Why the scale is not as important as we think.

Options
I recently stumbled upon an old journal where I had written down my stats and I am glad I did, as it really goes to show we don't need to worry about the numbers on the scale nearly as much as we do.

June 2010 (before I ever really started to work out)
Weight - 170 pounds
Waist - 36 inches
Hips - 47 inches

compare that to February 2013 (when I restarted my journey):
Weight - 175 pounds
Waist - 33 inches
Hips - 44 inches

With a 5 pound weight difference from 2010 to 2013, there is a significant difference in my measurements. I am actually smaller at a larger weight. My other measurements were the same, the big difference was in my waist and hips.

Now I am about 5 pounds lighter than I was in 2010, and there is even more of a difference:
Current stats:
Weight: 164 pounds
Hips: 43 inches
Waist: 32 inches
(plus an inch lost all over - thighs, arms, bust; plus 3 inches lost in my stomach)

Final summation: stop weighing yourself everyday, and start measuring. A good workout and diet will morph your body in ways a scale cannot show.

(also, I hope my point makes sense - scrambled to write this while on break at work)

Replies

• ShelbyNicole08
    Options
    You are Absolutely right. I measure once a week on my weigh in days and when the scale isnt necessarily making me happy, my measurements always do. I have lost around 9 LB but 4 inches off my belly in that time which is a huge difference :) So
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    Good point. I wish I had any data at all from when I started last March. But I differ in that I track everything, every day. It has proven useful on several occasions when trying to figure out constipation, stalls and general malaise.

Daily things I measure: weight, measurements (waist, hips, neck, legs, arms), BF% with Omron, caliper reading, calories consumed, exercise, supplements, bathroom activity, any new / different approaches (intermittent fasting, increase in calorie goal, etc...) This approach would probably make most people cry, but I find it empowering.
  • ninav1980
    ninav1980 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    thanks for this post! I need to get my measurements to help with my motivation
  • gpfan5
    gpfan5 Posts: 12
    Options
    So glad you posted this and a reminder that I need to take measurements as I try Myfitnesspal yet again! I'm inconsistent with tracking, hoping I can get it together and KEEP it together this time. congrats on your success!
  • badtastebetty
    badtastebetty Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Good point. I wish I had any data at all from when I started last March. But I differ in that I track everything, every day. It has proven useful on several occasions when trying to figure out constipation, stalls and general malaise.

Daily things I measure: weight, measurements (waist, hips, neck, legs, arms), BF% with Omron, caliper reading, calories consumed, exercise, supplements, bathroom activity, any new / different approaches (intermittent fasting, increase in calorie goal, etc...) This approach would probably make most people cry, but I find it empowering.

As much as I wouldn't want to track all the data on a daily basis, it would be really interesting to see your data mapped out. Good work!
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    As much as I wouldn't want to track all the data on a daily basis, it would be really interesting to see your data mapped out. Good work!

This is my most referenced chart:

AllData20130501.png

Lots of data points, but the trends are what matters. And lots of data tends to smooth out variability.

I also like this one because it illustrates how much weight can fluctuate day to day:

Weightloss20130426.png

I have more charts, but these are my goto reference. Oh, and the large gap is 7 months I did not track any data at all. I do know my weight stayed at 205 lbs the whole time.
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I absolutely agree with you! The scale is only one measurement of success, and not a great one either.

Since January, I have lost only 10 pounds, yet I have lost 5 inches off my waist, 5 inches of my hips and 3 inches off my calves. I count that as a pretty darn good success!
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    The scale continues to be a useful tool for me, and there usually is a relationship between my weight and measurements. I also track my body fat.
  • badtastebetty
    badtastebetty Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    The scale is definitely a useful tool. However, when we're weighing ourselves daily, or stressing because we're not losing weight fast enough it's important to realize your body will reflect process in more ways than one.